Coach/Player Relationships

hardballcoach

How important is the coach/player relationship?

Do you still remember/talk to any of your former coaches?

Did those coaches help you get on the right path if you started drifting?

Was there a coach that you absolutely couldn't stand or thought hated you? and did your performance suffer?

You all get the point...I would like to know about your relationships with your coaches, what you were like before you met them, and how you turned out.

I am writing an essay for my college english course and would like to use this forum as a source.

man a coach player relationship is very important when nac had caniford a lot of the players couldnt stand the o.c. so they quit on him .but when harper came into town it was a diffrent story he treats every athlete with respect and he gets to know them outside of football he is a real players coach thats why he has had success with nac because players dont mind busting their butt for him.

How important is the coach/player relationship?

Do you still remember/talk to any of your former coaches?

Did those coaches help you get on the right path if you started drifting?

Was there a coach that you absolutely couldn't stand or thought hated you? and did your performance suffer?

You all get the point...I would like to know about your relationships with your coaches, what you were like before you met them, and how you turned out.

I am writing an essay for my college english course and would like to use this forum as a source.

Not so sure that relationship is the best term, I like respect more.

Had a coach in high school that i run through a wall for, actually about 5 of them , my HC OC DC and positions coaches, one of them left my sophmore year and it really devistated me, he took me to the next level and helped me become a little of who i am today.

I think my DC was one of the most influential people i ever met in my entire life. If you were not the most athletic person on the team but had the heart of a Giant then he would put you in a position to make plays. he could pull every bit of talent out of a person with on personal conversation. and to this day i would take a bullet in the chest for that man. Thanks Coach Elliot.

The coaches "relationship" with the kids; IS THE WHOLE PROGRAM. More important than having the most atheletes. No I am not saying losing is OK if the coach is "warm & fuzzy". Having a good relationship will cause average to be collectively great. Having a a$% for a coach will cause great to become average. If he cares about them They will not want to let him down (it's the nature of young Kids). If he is indifferent to them personally they will disconnect. Every young man wants someone they RESPECT to be proud of them. You my beat me up while I am walking alone, but if I bring my "family" with their passion for each other, we are unbeatable. a relationship with the players is paramount to succcess.

You either have to love a coach or fear him, some people would say hate or strong dislike but I prefer fear. If it's hate ....well it should be because he is just a mean old you know what. One thing that can not change is you have to respect him and the coach must respect his players, the players will know if they are not respected. If the coach’s actions cause a player or team not to respect him, it is a lost cause. Yes, with enough talent, the coach may still win or have a winning record, but the team and players will never reach their full potential as a team.

The things players spot right off is a coach who treats players unfair or does not treat all the players the same (favorites or players he is afraid of losing or alienating). If a coach thinks players do not notice this they are only fooling themselves. Yell at me, cuss me, kick me in the butt if I mess up, and just make sure you do the same to the board members son and to the Super Star. Do not treat us the same and I'll just tune you out. At the same time if I do a good job, tell me with the same vigor and I'll fight for you. When I mess up kick me in the butt and challenge me to do better, tell me and if possible show me what I need to do and encourage me some as well. If I some players are allowing to miss practice with weak excuses while other are severely punished I assure you, you have probably cost yourself at least two wins on he season. A player need to know if they mess up the coach is probably going to kick their butt but if someone else wants to kick you butt they will have to kill your coach because he is willing to die fighting for his players, I guess you can say, kind of like your Daddy!

Some coaches have only learned to tear down a player and never learned to build one up or back up. If all a player hears is how terrible they are over and over again and only told once in a year that they did a decent job on a play, they I will probably not remember it, not believe the coach or will resent the coaches comment as not sincere and even provoking. Yes, they will hate the coach but not respect them. They will not be motivated by the coach and will not play for the coach. They will still try for teammates unless the coach has turned their teammates against them, and unfortunately the coach will probably reap the some of the benefits if the player still plays hard for his team, but the coach will deserve none of it. Some coaches will walk around saying boy I got my players to play but that will be the far from the truth and again they are only fooling themselves. Some players will just quit and either way the team will not try as hard when things are going really tough.

It depends on the sport.

I had some high school football and baseball coaches to this day, that I talk to and bounce things off of them. I would have eaten my own right arm to play for them, if they said to do it. they pushed me, they loved me, they educated me and they supported me. I wasn't all that great but am still thankful for them.

I ran CC and track and my coach wasn't much of anything. He didn't participate and wasn't very supportive. I ran at the state meet and national meets w/ much support from him. But I wanted it. I wanted to be the best and I pushed myself. I don't know where he is and really don't care. His whole purpose in my HS career was to setup the track meets and drive the bus to and from the meets. I ran distance and he was offensive line coach. don't really go hand in hand together. Not a bad guy, but he didn't have anything to do with my success.

just my opinions.

I’m not saying a Coach has to go by the Leslie Peters, (Coach of E. Marion) Philosophy. He was an extremely successful High School Coach that even before he retired the High Scholl field was named after him. Leslie was a black coach who took over as the first coach of the new school form from two combined schools from the segregation period. It was said that know on could make that school work in Marion County and no one could get the kids to get along and motivate them to play together or keep the peace in the community.

His philosophy was:

“I do not want to be remembered for how many games my teams won, but rather for what I meant in the lives of the children I coached”. He also believed that every teacher and coached should be required to visit the home of every student they taught or coached so they would understand the children better so they could better help them. Leslie practiced this for 38 years. Every year he would visit at the very least every new student and player he had. Leslie stated that many of these young people are ashamed of where they live and it breaks his heart to see it sometimes. He stated that on more and on occasion he has literally taken the coat of his back and gave it to some of the kids because they needed it. He was known for loading up the trunk of his car with old coats and blankets when he made his rounds, even some canned food. He would never tell you who he gave anything to and no one ever asked. All of his players and people of the community respected him and wanted to play for him. I guess he though you should know your kids to know how to better motivate them or criticize them.

After several 2 State Championships, 2 South State Championships, 2 South State Runner-Ups, 9 Regional Championships, 9 District Championships, 6 District Runner-ups, and 7 Conference Championships and hundreds of wins. In Mississippi, there was not state/district/ or regional format only a conference format until 1983, Leslie retired 2007. When he retired he said it was humbling to walk off the field for the last time while looking at the scoreboard and reading the words, "Welcome to Leslie Peters Field".

Yes, I sure there were players that thought he was tough on them and some may have thought he could be mean, he was know as disciplinarian and for being stern and demanding his players and students to conduct themselves as respectful citizens. Mostly he was know as tough but fair and mostly as just "Coach"!