Best Movie Lines

ETBU89

What are some of your favorite or most memorable movie lines?

"Brace yourself, Effie!" from Mrs. Doubtfire

"You make me want to be a better man." from As Good as It Gets

"I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly." from You've Got Mail

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Animal House

"The mind - it's a wonderful, dirty thing." Up Close and Personal

"Do I know you?" Father of the Bride 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. I know deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you don't want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

This is my favorite. Pretty much a speach to the Democratic party!

Guest bleeds

"The dead know only one thing. It is better to be alive." Private Joker, Full Metal Jacket

"I was born to love you / I was born to lick your face / I was born to rub you / but you were born to rub me first /... What do you say we take this out on the patio?" Ty Webb, Caddyshack

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Fat Peter Clemenza, The Godfather

more to come

Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride:

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Batty, Blade Runner:

It's time to die.

Mr. Rooney, Ferris Bueller's Day off:

What's so dangerous about a character like Ferris Bueller is that he gives

the good kids bad ideas. The last thing I need at this point in my career is

fifteen hundred Ferris Bueller disciples running around these halls.

Buckaroo Banzai, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension:

'Cause, remember, no matter where you go..... there you are.

Straw, I actually had that same quote.

John Wayne as Marshal Rooster Cogburn in True Grit) with Robert Duvall as Ned Pepper:

Rooster Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a ###.

"I haven't lost my temper in 40 years; but, Pilgrim, you caused a lot of trouble this morning; might have got somebody killed; and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't. I won't. The hell I won't!" (He belts him). (Joyn Wayne, as George Washington "G.W." McLintock To Leo Gordon in McLintock!).

"You can call me Dad, you can call me Father, you can call me Jacob and you can call me Jake. You can call me a dirty old son-of-a-###, but if you EVER call me Daddy again, I'll finish this fight." (John Wayne as "Big Jake" to his son, played by his real-life son Patrick Wayne, in Big Jake).

"My Mama always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.'" (Tom Hanks as Forrest, Forrest Guump in Forrest Gump)

"Go ahead, make my day." (Clint Eastwood as "Dirty" Harry Callahan in Sudden Impact.)

"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Well, who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who the #### do you think you're talkin' to?" (Robert DeNiro as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver)

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory. (Robert Duvall as Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore in Apocalypse Now).

Man oh man,....I could go on & on!.....

"It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business." - Michael Corleone

"I've broke my back once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could still beat the hell out of you." - Will Anderson, The Cowboys

Wyatt Earp: "How are you?" Doc Holliday: "I'm dying, how are you?" - Tombstone

"That's not gross! poop, gross is when you go to kiss your grandpa good night and he sticks his tongue down your throat. That's gross! - Seth Maxwell, North Dallas Forty

...mo' to come.

Mr. Mom - when Jack's wife and Ron walk in while Jack is doing a little remodeling of the kitchen. Jack tells Ron his plans and finishes with the fact that he's re-wiring everything. That leads to one of the greatest comedy quotes of all time in my opinion.

Ron Richardson: Yeah? Are you gonna make it all 220?

Jack Butler: Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes.

Guest imyahuckleberry

From the Movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Bounty Hunter "Your wanted Wales"

Josey Wales " You a bounty hunter'?

Bounty Hunter " Man's got to make a livin somehow"

Josey Wales "Dying ain't much of livin boy".

----------------------------------------------------------------

Josey Wales " Thats the way it is, about the time I start liking somebody they ain't around anymore"

Chief Dan George " I notice when you get to dislikin someone they aint around long either"

"What's the score mister barber ?"

"6-3.........ya like baseball there, Anderson ?"

"Yea I do. It's the only game where a black man can wave a stick at a white man and get away with it."

Mississippi Burning featured this exchange between the town barber and FBI agent Anderson (Gene Hackman).

Great acting in this movie and it should have won Best Picture but lost out to Rain Man.

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a 867-5309" "Gone With The Wind" Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) to Scarlett O'Hara (Vivian Leigh).

"I'm the bull, and you're getting the horns" "The Breakfast Club" Principal Richard Vernon (Paul Gleason) to John Bender (Judd Nelson).

"You know, Frederick &^&%* Chopin ?" "Tombstone" "Doc" Holliday (Val Kilmer)

"It's better to be a smart &^%& than a dumb *^*&^" "16 Candles" Mike Baker (Justin Henry)

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men." "Cool Hand Luke" Captain Road Prison 36. (Strother Martin)

"Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits" Lenny in "Of Mice And Men" (John Malkovich)

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" Goldhat (Alfonso Bedoya)

"Use the force, Luke" Ben Kenobi (Sir Alec Guinness).

"You've got two peashooters, and we've got .38's" Danny Castanzo (Billy Crystal)

Gladiator

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Also

Maximus: What we do in live . . . echoes in eternity.

"I'm the bull, and you're getting the horns" "The Breakfast Club" Principal Richard Vernon (Paul Gleason) to John Bender (Judd Nelson).

The line is actually: "Don't mess with the bull young man or you'll get the horns." :)

Sorry, big Breakfast Club fan.

I'll submit this: "Carpe diem, boys! Seize the day. Make your lives extraordinary."

From the great Robin Williams in Dead Poets' Society.

I agree. I have a stack of "teacher" movies that I watch ~ one a day starting on August 1 until school begins. Helps to get me motivated for the REAL world of teaching. HA! Seriously, it reminds me of why I do what I do. It's all about the kids.