Sherrod Harris...

Well, the fact that John Chiles and Cold McCoy have been getting all of the reps the past week, it looks like Harris won't ever get a chance at the back-up position. He was in the running last year, but the injury to his knee set him back. I'd say transfer! Harris has two years of eligibility left, so I would hope he goes to a school that will give him a shot. There's always the other big school down the road in San Marcos....

This should make the recruitment of Russell Shepard more interesting. Horn fans, I have a few questions. (1) If both Harris & G.J. decide to transfer who does that leave behind McCoy and Chiles? Is there a walk-on guy or would they consider putting someone like a Quan Cosby back there just in case the worst happens? (2) Do you think Shepard now receives an offer at QB and if he doesn't (or decides to stick with LSU) do you see them going after another QB for the '09 class? If so, who?

Texas is not going to offer Shepard as a QB because he will never play QB if he does come to Texas. Garrett Gilbert is one of the top QBs in the nation and his commitment to Texas (which didn't come as a suprise) changes the recruitment of Shepard. Shepard is a great athlete, and could probably be a great QB, but he would be more dangerous at WR with a QB like Gilbert under the helm.

With both Kinne and Harris bound to leave, that would leave Texas with one third string QB, walk-on Trevor Walker of Mt Pleasent. He'll most likely never play. If it did come down to it, Quan Cosby would be the third string, just like when the Horns were preparing for the Alamo Bowl against Iowa.

G.J. to La Tech would make sense since Houston Tumeniello is headed there in the fall and they are good friends I am geussing since they both played at canton and Gilmer together. Harris at michigan would be a very good fit for rod's new system he might even be the starter.Since pryor chose OSU.

Gabe,

Thanks for the response. I know what you mean about Gilbert being one of the best in the nation as I follow recruiting quite closely and I think he will be a good one for the Longhorns. Now having said that, do you think if G.J. and Harris were to transfer (basically leaving Texas with only 3 QB's including Gilbert when he arrives and Colt's a SR) that they will try and pick up another QB for this 2009 class to add a little more depth? Or would you figure they focus on taking a couple of 2010 guys when the time comes (for example Sam Carter)? I'm not a 'Horn fan, but just a college football freak so it's fun to discuss stuff like this to me. If UT were to decide to take another QB this year because of impending depth issues who would you like to see as a Longhorn fan? I know Mossakowski is probably unlikely because of a possible jump to MLB. Although, I could see Shevodrick Beaver or maybe even Casey Pachall (I know he's committed to TCU, but he's a UT fan) getting a look if both those transfers do take place and UT wants another QB in this class.

If Texas were to recruit another QB for the 2009 class, they'd be wasting a scholarship. Chiles will be a junior and Colt will be a senior when Gilbert steps on campus. They don't need more than three QBs. Gilbert will redshirt his first year, so that gives Texas an opprotunity to recruit a QB for the 2010 class. Hopefully Gilbert won't scare away QB prospects like Vince did!

UT Photo

Have any quarterbacks discussed the possibility of transferring? Not according to Mack Brown.

TRANSFER TALK SHOT DOWN

The rumors have been flying around all week about possible transfers from either G.J. Kinne or Sherrod Harris, but Brown shot down all the speculation on Wednesday.

"There have been rumors for 100 years about players transferring, and it's always the third or fourth quarterback. That's 100 percent from my 33 years. Neither one of them have said anything about it or discussed it. In fact, they took all the snaps in the scrimmage today and did really well," Brown said. "One thing you know is if anybody ever wants to transfer, and they have not come to us and suggested that, we'll be the first to help them and get them a release anywhere they want to."

One common thought for every college football program is that coaches will not grant a release for a player that wants to go to a team that's on the schedule as a future opponent. Brown said that's not the case with the Longhorns.

"We've never asked a player to stay. We'll always give them a release to play against us, anywhere they want. But we want happy players," he said.

got that off of rivals..??

I spoke to GJ here just a few days ago and he denied that rumor that he is considering transferring. I get annoyed at people who want to post rumors that are false.

i dont believe anyone came out and actually said...hey guys SHARROD AND GJ ARE TRANSFERRING!!!...

they asked if anyone knew if this speculation was true or not regarding this rumor...so do not get so annoyed and give us the info you got to help those who dont know :thumbsup:

i dont believe anyone came out and actually said...hey guys SHARROD AND GJ ARE TRANSFERRING!!!...

they asked if anyone knew if this speculation was true or not regarding this rumor...so do not get so annoyed and give us the info you got to help those who dont know :thumbsup:

"With both Kinne and Harris bound to leave, that would leave Texas with one third string QB, walk-on Trevor Walker of Mt Pleasent. He'll most likely never play. If it did come down to it, Quan Cosby would be the third string, just like when the Horns were preparing for the Alamo Bowl against Iowa."

That's speculation too me.