A&M/OU Baseball game

Aggie2008

When you can't beat em...bean em.

Luke Anders hit a home run Friday night for the Aggies in the game against OU.

Saturday, he was beaned three times and thrown at two more times.

Chaos ensued after his second plate appearance...A&M's third base coach sprinted towards home plate to protest the intentional clunking, and both coaching staffs went at it for 15 minutes before play resumed. In the end, three A&M coaches were ejected, with no punishment for OU.

His third clunking was a little different. The OU pitcher who had been brought after A&M took the lead could not get the ball over the plate...the ball appeared to bounce in the dirt before it hit Anders.

His last plate appearance drew more ire from A&M coaches and players...one pitch even flew behind him.

In the end, A&M won 10-3 to push them past Nebraska in the Big 12 standings and today's game should be pretty interesting.

I was like you and expected today's game to be pretty interesting too, but it was a pretty mild, laid back 12-2 beat down of OU. The only heated time was between the OU head coach and the home plate umpire about what seemed to be a pretty clear call. No altercations between players or the opposing coaches. The Ags remained classy, or at least a lot classier than I could have been. I tip my hat to RC and crew for maintaining the high road today.

what did anders do after he hit the bomb? something had to set the sooners off i would think

Anders trotted around the bases, touched home plate, high fived his teammates, and went to the dugout.

He also had a rbi triple, a single, and a walk. The homerun came after the triple and single. That ticked off Sonny Galloway from OU. There was no doubt in anyone's mind at the ball game that the second time Anders was hit that it was intentional. 2-0 count, 2 outs, and nobody on base.

Anders handled everything with class even after he had been hit 3 times and a ball thrown behind him in his 5th at bat in the 8th inning.

Hey Aggie2008,

I was at the game and witnessed the whole thing. However, from an objective stand-point I must say that I do not think all of the beanings were intentional. For reality sake, did you happen to see the counts with each at bat before the beaning? I did, and 2 of the 3 AB's could not have been intentional for sure, and when you have runners in scoring position, with a tight game (at that point) with a 1-2 count and another 2 strike count later in the game with a similar situation, anyone that knows baseball knows you are not looking to deliberately bean an opposing player. I mean why make a bad situation even worse for yourself and your team? No the OU pitcher Doyle was clearly having an off night. I personally did not see any actions from either side that could have warranted a situation that resulted in an intentional beaning. The aggie third base coach, however, was completely off his rocker. We may never know what exactly was said, but he did attempt to throw a punch towards Galloway, but was restrained by his fellow assistants. It was my wife's first ever baseball game, and I must say that she now has a very negative attitude for baseball after what she witnessed during this game from the Aggies. It was just a really messed up situation, and I have been wondering what action, if any, that the NCAA would take in this particular situation.

On another note, however, Loux (sp?) had an incredible game on the bump for A&M. I gotta tip my hat for the show he put on for the home crowd, and the kid is just a Freshman!

Guest Jhn4McCain08

I don't care if they were intentional or not.... I was at the game Sat. and it was well worth the money either way!!!!!!!!!! GO AGS!!!!!!!!!!!

according to a couple of people that are close to the situation, the ou coach had his players "ready for a fight" before the game. those were his exact words and i don't think he was talking about the game. i saw a copy of the umpire's report and one of the aggie coaches had a very nice quote directed at an ou coach! i'm no aggie fan, but kudos for him standing up for his guy.