A Look Back: Muckelroy coming out game

jam7

The Atlanta Falcons couldn't do it. He gashed them for 163 total yards and a touchdown on opening day.

The defending NFC champion Chicago bears couldn't do it. He ran for a Vikings-record 224 yards against them.

Nobody in the NFL has been able to stop Adrian Peterson, but in 2003 at Rose Stadium, the Hallsville Bobcats beat Peterson's Palestine Wildcats in a bi-district playoff game that the Bobcats still remember.

"We knew that going into the game, we weren't going to stop him," former Bobcats head coach and current Pine Tree defensive line coach Roger Adams said. "We had to contain him, slow him down. "

"Did we?" he asked aloud, laughing. " Well, yeah, we did slow him down a little bit, but he still got around 240 yards against us."

Peterson popped for 241 yards and three touchdowns, but Hallsville's junior linebacker Roderick Muckelroy, now at The University of Texas, played big against him. The Bobcats rallied from 19-7 down to win 20-19, and end Peterson's high school career in a big moment that still stands out.

"To beat a team with a young man of that caliber playing ball was very special," Adams recalled. "I think I was having an out-of-body experience after the win."

Adams said it's a good example of the level of talent in East Texas, even years later certain moments stand out, certain stories that Adams says come up every time they watch him Peterson play.

"You can hear them talking in the background saying 'we played against him'," Adams said. "That's something that's very special for the kids and me as a coach to know that we've seen that caliber of ball in East Texas."

"And it just makes it that much sweeter that we were able to win that game."

SOURCE: KLTV SPORTS.

Muckelroy had a great game! One of the great high school battles (Muckelroy vs. Peterson)

Guest bleeds
I didnt mean to post it that many times. I dont know what happend and why it did that. Sry...

Cleaned 'em up for ya jam.

Great article! I was at that game and was able to see how great of a player Muckleroy actually was. He had grade issues when schools became interested, but once his test scores were high enough, Texas was all over the 3-star player, who currently is the best all around LB for Texas. He's the one player on defense that must be on the field at all times. If Kindle could go a whole season without injury, the LB corps will be amazing with Norton, Muck and Kindle!

I watched Muckelroy almost every game for the 4 years that he was on varsity. It took me almost until the game against Palestine to recognize just how good he is. Perhaps I was comparing him to his older brother, Kendrick, who I believe was an even better overall player. I "googled" Roddrick a couple of weeks ago and came across film highlights of his game against Peterson and Palestine. What a matchup. Depsite Peterson's yardage, I believe that he only had one long run on the evening. Muckelroy was always there. Peterson no doubt knew that he had played a football game after that night.

To be honest, I am surprised at the success that he has had at UT though I am thrilled for him. It is great to see someone with talent make the most of it. When I am at the UT games I am quick to point out that he is from "little ole Hallsville".

Cleaned 'em up for ya jam.

I watched Muckelroy almost every game for the 4 years that he was on varsity. It took me almost until the game against Palestine to recognize just how good he is. Perhaps I was comparing him to his older brother, Kendrick, who I believe was an even better overall player. I "googled" Roddrick a couple of weeks ago and came across film highlights of his game against Peterson and Palestine. What a matchup. Depsite Peterson's yardage, I believe that he only had one long run on the evening. Muckelroy was always there. Peterson no doubt knew that he had played a football game after that night.

To be honest, I am surprised at the success that he has had at UT though I am thrilled for him. It is great to see someone with talent make the most of it. When I am at the UT games I am quick to point out that he is from "little ole Hallsville".

Did you know Texas A&M offer both Kendrick and Roddrick full rides.

Didn't the game change when Muckelroy started playing more on offense? I was there and I seem to remember Muckelroy playing RB. No doubt about who the best two players on the field were that day.

Yes, Muckleroy played both ways at RB and LB. I think that he returned kick-offs too.

O.K. this is what I remember.....

Palestine was a good team with a couple of good athletes and a quick, agressive defense. Yes, Mr. Peterson was all that, but one man doesn't make a team.

Being good friends with many of the Hallsville coaches, the team concept carried the Bobcats to victory. They bought into the idea and fulfilled an excellent game plan.

Muckelroy was good too, but a young sophmore named Brandon Hearnsberger has some of the big hits on Peterson. One time he dropped Adrian in the back field and had the speedy running back limping. Big plays such as a great catch by Scott Jewett and a great punt by Kyle Adams(not by distance, but because it was a horrible snap, I still don't know how he got it off).

Any way, it's easy to name the big names, but the Bobcats won because the TEAM won. Wow what a geat game, one that I'll always remember.

Good luck to Adrian and Roddrick.

If I recall, Palestine really should've won this game. Palestine made a few coaching mistakes, as in plays getting in late or what not, causing delay of game penalties and 2nd or 3rd down and short. I can't remember everything that happened, but I do remember that Palestine losing was because of little coaching mistakes....

I was at that game--and Muckleroy did show what he was made of that night.

But I also realized that AD had gained a zillion yards with NO offensive line. They were really bad--and most of what AD accomplished in HS was out of his own sheer determination and grit.

I was at that game--and Muckleroy did show what he was made of that night.

But I also realized that AD had gained a zillion yards with NO offensive line. They were really bad--and most of what AD accomplished in HS was out of his own sheer determination and grit.

Palestine would of been 0-10 that year if not for Peterson.

Yes, it means I had to scout and breakdown all your games that year so yes, 0-10 without Peterson

is a valid statement. :thumbsup:

Not comparing the two backs, but Peterson's line was far better than what Calhoun ran behind at Van for four years!

I was an official at that game and it was a classic. Peterson ran at will the first half and somehow Hallsville stopped him when it counted the second half. It appeared to me that it may have been the first time Peterson had run up against a defensive player with the speed and hitting ability of Muckelroy. I think as the game went on Muckelroy and Hallsville gained more and more confidence that they could stop Peterson when it counted.