UIL SPLIT CONFERENCE FOOTBALL ALIGNMENT

Guest RedCat

Guest RedCat

This alignment study is on the UIL website. What do you think? Is it worth trying?

Personally, I don't think it would work out very well. There would still be disparity in school size in each division, although it would close the gap some. The negatives outweigh the positives in this type of change and I don't think this particular plan would ever get past the planning stage. I would MUCH rather see the addition of a 6A classification, and close the gaps in size in the smaller classifications, too.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/footba...lign_study.html

Here is the link to the study. I personally think it needs to be filed in the trash. Once the superintendents see it, it will. The travel expenses alone make this unworkable......

Actually, at least a couple of the Class A districts would see their travel cut substantially. I haven't looked at the higher classifications. One thing I did notice, with the smaller districts the schools could schedule non-district games with schools that are closer than their current non-district opponents which might balance the travel.

I don't think anyone likes to travel, but I would rather drive an extra 30-60 miles to continue to play teams of the same enrollment. I think this is a fair plan. Something has to be done especially in AAA where you have to play schools with double the enrollment

I only scanned the A-AAA, but those classifications looked pretty balanced to me. In a lot of cases the travel was cut dramatically within the district, but there will always be one school on the fringe that has to make a long trip. I thought there were some pretty good new district matchups. With the rising fuel costs, you know admin will be looking to cut down on travel expenses, and that's always the number one complaint school leaders will have with any new proposal...will it cost us more $$ ?

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/footba...lign_study.html

Here is the link to the study. I personally think it needs to be filed in the trash. Once the superintendents see it, it will. The travel expenses alone make this unworkable......

Why do you think it so bad??? In the districts that I looked at the travel would stay the same or be less...the disparity between sizes of schools would be lessened thus increasing some schools chances of making the playoffs...some for the first time in a long time. Where is the downsize?? This plan is already in efffect in 6-man, I hope they aprove it for everybody soon.

of course the big schools will hate it and cite travel distances, but in the end they just don't want to play all schools of their size so they can continue their advantages- especially in 3A and 2A. God forbid they actually play like-size schools.

I'm ag'int it, and I'm a fan of a school that's in the bottom third in enrollment in its class. I think as things stand now are fair enough as they are. Grinding the classes down into finer and finer pieces just waters the level of competition down all the more.

The 4A proposal from an East Texas standpoint is a split decison in my opinion........

District 6

Hallsville

Henderson

Jacksonville

Kilgore

Lindale

Longview Pine Tree

Mount Pleasant

Whitehouse

This isn't a bad district....it has 6 teams that have already been in a district together from 2004 till this spring. Lindale is a great fit because it's in the middle of all of them anyway. MP is a little out of the way....but it's not insane. This is a good proposal for 4A division II.

BUT....... the 4A Div I District 8 is a mess......

District 8

Longview

Marshall

Nacogdoches

Rockwall

Rockwall-Heath

Texarkana Texas

Nac to Rockwall is a 3 hour drive ONE WAY.

Marshall to Rockwall is 2.5 hours ONE WAY.

Nac to Texarkana is 2 hours and 45 mins ONE WAY

Seems a bit accessive. Then again.... the same proposal has Odessa and Midland paired with El Paso (over a 4 hour drive) and Abilene with Forth Worth (2.5 hours).

Tyler Lee and JT in different districts?? They may as well drop JT into the Longview/Marshall district and send Rockwall packing. Put Sulphur Springs with East Texas instead of Denton.

Marshall

Longview

Nacogdoches

Texas High

John Tyler

Sulphur Springs

ouch!! That is almost the old original 5A district in East Texas minus Lufkin and Lee.

Why do you think it so bad???

Tradition. The old rivalries are not as meaningful if they are not being played for "all the marbles". The UIL has placed us in the perfect district for this next biennium. We have been with the schools that we are grouped with now since the mid-seventies for the most part. I hope that it remains the same.

I like the plan. People want competetive balance in the playoffs, but not during district? Some small schools in a district don't have a chance to make the playoffs currently, but under the new system they would have a better chance to be competetive in district. Two teams from each district makes the playoffs, and you go from there.

People talk about the cost of fuel, but have the majority of people really cut down on the amount of traveling they do? High school football is the driving force behind this board. Do you think most fans will stop going to games because of gas prices? Sure, more may ride together and not take their individual vehicles, but I promise you most won't stop traveling. If we decided to stop traveling altogether, gas prices would drop. Companies can charge $3.50 a gallon because they know we'll still pay it.

In 1A division 1 there are 86 teams if I counted right. If they allow 3 teams per district in the playoffs that means that 48 teams, or 55% of the 1A division 1 teams, will make the playoffs. Hopefully they would only take 2 teams from this setup. Now it seems the playoffs are just about the money and they are too watered down. It is sad when a team that wins 2 district ball games makes the playoffs.

I hope they do away with the BYEs. I have always thought that to be unfair. The same districts get them every year.

In 1A division 1 there are 86 teams if I counted right. If they allow 3 teams per district in the playoffs that means that 48 teams, or 55% of the 1A division 1 teams, will make the playoffs. Hopefully they would only take 2 teams from this setup. Now it seems the playoffs are just about the money and they are too watered down. It is sad when a team that wins 2 district ball games makes the playoffs.

I hope they do away with the BYEs. I have always thought that to be unfair. The same districts get them every year.

if they were to do this it would really cut our milage in class a. the district that we are in now is 329 miles that we would have to travel if we went to each school and this is only one way. the new district they are talking about we would only have to travel 140 miles one way to these schools. hate to say it but this would be good. :thumbsup:

I dont think the economics are there for the traveling with gas prices the way they are. From a former players stand point I always like long bus rides but geez did you see district 8? talk about never getting a week off!!!