Elysian beats Hemphill...walk-off double

BlueHaze

Hemphill was leading EF the whole game. The Ford kid pitched well but had a high pitch count. Hemphill was up 5-2 going into the bottom of the 7th. 5-hole batter gets walked. 6-hole hits a double play ball to Wright who threw it into right field. 7-hole walked. Hemphill brings Wright in. 8-hole strikes out. 9-hole hits a beautiful double play ball to the 2nd baseman, but miscommunication between him and the shortstop lead to everyone being safe. 5-3, 1 out, bases loaded and the leadoff hitter at the plate. He hits a rocket in the left-center gap. Bases clearing double. Elysian Fields wins 6-5.

Hemphill was leading EF the whole game. The Ford kid pitched well but had a high pitch count. Hemphill was up 5-2 going into the bottom of the 7th. 5-hole batter gets walked. 6-hole hits a double play ball to Wright who threw it into right field. 7-hole walked. Hemphill brings Wright in. 8-hole strikes out. 9-hole hits a beautiful double play ball to the 2nd baseman, but miscommunication between him and the shortstop lead to everyone being safe. 5-3, 1 out, bases loaded and the leadoff hitter at the plate. He hits a rocket in the left-center gap. Bases clearing double. Elysian Fields wins 6-5.

good teams always find a way to take advantage of mistakes and capitilize. congrats to EF and good luck with the rest of the series and after.

Yeah, you don't make mistakes against a team like EF. You're lucky to be ahead of them in the last inning as it is, make a couple mistakes and you'll never hold'em off. It was a close one but EF had a helped rally to close the deal, we all need a little help every once in a while no matter how good you are. Best of luck to the Jackets, you guys are representing the district well.

It was a close one but EF had a helped rally to close the deal, we all need a little help every once in a while no matter how good you are.

A "helped rally" is the understatement of the day! EF fans don't get on here and bash me for saying that because I understand the umpires are part of the game, but unfortunately one umpire was too much a part of this one......Overall it was one of the best games I've seen all year!! This series is going to be a good one!! Good luck Jackets!

There is an old saying in baseball, "Be kind to blue (umpires) and they will be kind to you." I can't help but think that since the Hemphill coach had gone out 3-4 times to argue about something during the game that "blue" had had enough and well, a close call can go either way. You have to pick your battles sometimes!

EF had stranded 11 runners going into the last inning and the Hemphill starter had walked 7-8, which is a lot for to be at this point in the playoffs.

Hemphill is not overrated!! Elysian Fields is just a great team. When you have two teams that are as good as these two are, the one that makes the least amount of mistakes usually will win. Elysian Fields, being the good team that they are, capatilized on these mistakes and won the game.

Hemphill is not overrated!! Elysian Fields is just a great team. When you have two teams that are as good as these two are, the one that makes the least amount of mistakes usually will win. Elysian Fields, being the good team that they are, capatilized on these mistakes and won the game.

At this point in the playoffs, I don't think there are any overrated teams.....the team that makes the fewest mistakes tends to win!

I hope Hemphill can put that lost behind them and come back and win the series. Remember that it is a best out of Three not just one game. It doesn't matter if you win the first one if you lose game 2 and 3. This a great series between two high quality baseball programs. I pulling for the HORNETS.

Good Luck from a former Hemphill Coach