SI's Top 25 High School Athletic programs

Buckeye1980

1. Punahou (Honolulu) Enrollment: 1,732

The Buff 'n Blue won 16 state titles in sports ranging from boys' air riflery to girls' canoe paddling to wrestling to girls' water polo; 12 seniors received Division I athletic scholarships.

2. Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) Enrollment: 2,300

At any other school the news that 19 seniors earned D-I scholarships would be the headline accomplishment. For the Monarchs, however, the junior class gets top billing. After leading the football team to the state quarterfinals, quarterback Matt Barkley, who will follow Mater Dei alumnus Matt Leinart's path to USC, became the first Gatorade Football Player of the Year who was not a senior. Forwards Travis and David Wear, twins who committed early to UNC, starred for the state hoops titlists.

3. Tupelo (Miss.) Enrollment: 1,867

While the Golden Wave won state championships in boys' bowling, swimming and golf, and boys' and girls' cross-country and tennis this year, baseball is still the school's dominant sport. Seniors Kyle Thornton, an Ole Miss signee with a 90-mph fastball, and Samford-bound pitcher-outfielder Gardner Richey have Tupelo chasing a third state title.

4. Cy-Fair (Cypress, Texas) Enrollment: 3,279

Stanford-bound forward and Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year Nneka Ogwumike, who averaged 18.2 points, led the Bobcats to a 392 record and the girls' state title. Among other standouts are Michigan signee Sam McGuffie, a running back, and UCLA-bound Jennifer Lamb, the Region 5 girls' swimmer of the year.

5. Rockhurst (Kansas City, Mo.) Enrollment: 1,055

Though best known for its 10 straight state tennis titles, the all-boys school this year won in football, soccer, swimming and golf. The lacrosse team is 168 and favored to win a third state crown, and a school-record 39 track and field athletes went to the Kansas Relays.

6. Poly (Long Beach, Calif.) Enrollment: 4,700

If you think Poly is just a football power, think again. Yes, the Jackrabbits had 13 seniors sign D-I football letters of intent, but the girls' basketball team stood taller: 6' 1" forward Jasmine Dixon, a Rutgers signee, topped off her Poly career with a third straight state title.

7. American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.) Enrollment: 1,178

Loaded with 15 major-college scholarship athletes, the Patriots won state championships in girls' tennis, golf and softball, plus boys' soccer (for the second straight year) and a bunch of regional and district titles. Defender Shawn Barry, a member of the under-18 national soccer team, is a Virginia signee.

8. Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) Enrollment: 1,100

Six players were named all-state after the Gaels finished 130 and won their first Nevada football championship in 24 years. The boys' soccer team was tops in the state for the second straight year, but it was the baseball team and the girls' hoopsters who reigned supreme, both adding their third consecutive titles.

9. Don Bosco (Ramsey, N.J.) Enrollment: 900

Talk about a crowded trophy case: The football team went 120 en route to its 10th state title; the cross-country team won the state championship; and the all-boys prep school racked up county titles in basketball, bowling, indoor track, soccer, swimming and wrestling. At week's end the baseball team (230) was ranked fifth in the nation by USA Today.

10. Omaha Central (Neb.) Enrollment: 2,500

After winning its first state football championship since 1984, the Eagles added their third straight boys' basketball crown and sent five wrestlers to the state tournament.

11. Bishop McGuinness (Oklahoma City) Enrollment: 662

With the right mix of luck and talent the Irish have claimed eight titles. Behind star junior Daniel Orton (6-foot-10), the Irish won their third consecutive class 4A state title. The football team beat Glenpool for its second straight title.

12. Lewis & Clark (Spokane, Wash.) Enrollment: 2,068

The Tigers made history as the first Washington girls' basketball team (29-0) to win back-to-back-to-back 4A championships. Football and girls' golf also took home state crowns.

13. St. Xavier (Cincinnati) Enrollment: 950

It was mission accomplished for the Bombers (15-0) as the football team -- which survived the nation's toughest schedule unscathed -- won the Division I state title. At the district level, the cross country team outdistanced the competition for a title.

14. Jeanette (Pa.) Enrollment: 438

SI's boys' arhlete of the year Terrelle Pryor was a one-man athletic department. Perhaps the top athlete to hail from the Keystone State, Pryor put his Western Pennsylvania school on the map by leading the Jayhawks to state titles in basketball and football.

15. Trinity (Euless, Texas) Enrollment: 2,168

Led by offensive tackle Josh Ayers (Texas A&M) and eight seniors who signed National Letters of Intent, the Trojans captured the 5A Division I state football title. On the girls side, Trinity won for its pep (cheerleading), its endurance (cross country) and its coaching as Sue Cannon was awarded District 7-5A coach of the year honors.

16. Wesleyan (Norcross, Ga.) Enrollment: 1,081

Both the Wolves' boys' and girls' basketball teams won AA state titles. Boys' Swimming also cruised to its second consecutive title, and volleyball served up another winner as Betsy Smith earned state player of the year honors. Wrestling came in as the runner-up in state competition.

17. Archbishop Mitty (San Jose, Calif..) Enrollment: 1,650

The girls proved mightiest at Mitty as tennis and volleyball won WCAL crowns and the basketball team reigned supreme on the state level. Boys' basketball was not far behind as the Monarchs lost to Mater Dei in the state title game.

18. Gonzaga (Washington, D.C.) Enrollment: 891

The Eagles captured one of the most diverse trophy hauls with titles in soccer, swimming & diving, basketball, rugby, crew and tennis. The basketball team's accomplishments were the brightest as the Eagles finished the season ranked No. 4 in the SI.com Top 25.

19. DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) Enrollment: 1,005

An off year at DeMatha is an award-winning one elsewhere. Led by senior star Kenny Tate, the Stags won their fifth consecutive WCAC title. Eighteen football and soccer players signed with colleges in February.

20. Brophy Prep (Phoenix) Enrollment: 1,272

The Broncos have been putting their sports campus to good use as they have rode off with the Class 5A, Division I football title after defeating Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.) in the state semifinal. The Broncs' top athlete is baseball player, Riccio Torrez, who was a Baseball America preseason All-America and will attend Arizona State.

21. John Curtis (La.) Enrollment: 380

The Patriots continue to set the football standard in the Bayou as they won a second straight state title. Girls' basketball also won a state crown.

22. Lawrence (Kans..) Enrollment: 1,316

Bill Self and the Jayhawks weren't the only city residents taking home basketball titles last winter as girls won the Kansas state title and the boys finished second.

23. Jesuit (Portland) Enrollment: 1,145

Last year's top program churned out more titles. Senior Jeff Petroff led the men's golf team to win the team state title and he won the individual championship last week. League titles were won in boys' and girls' cross country, football, girls' soccer, volleyball, boys' swimming as well as girls' and boys' skiing.

24. Bishop Luers (Fort Wayne, Ind.) Enrollment: 542

With titles in both boys' and girls' basketball, the Knights lived up to the Hoosier state?s standard of excellence.

25. St. Xavier (Louisville) Enrollment: 1,431

St. X marked the spot atop the awards podium in both soccer and swimming and diving. On the football field, the all-boys school lost to intra-city rival Trinity in the 6A title game.

1. Punahou (Honolulu) Enrollment: 1,732

The Buff 'n Blue won 16 state titles in sports ranging from boys' air riflery to girls' canoe paddling to wrestling to girls' water polo;

Hmmm....I wonder how many state air riflery championships or canoe paddling Euless or Katy or HP, etc have even been too? Oh the shame of it all!

BTW...can't say I have been to Hawaii either, so I guess I don't know how serious they take their athletic programs. Agree with Etex though, CAN'T be a very valid rating for the Buff n Blue to be #1! How many other teams do they play? Do they have like just one 5-A district, whoever wins it wins state?

Sorry for the vague attempt at humor, just not impressed with the ranking!

Water polo?!?

:whome:

how many games in the playoffs?

2?

how many schools are in Hawaii?

MEMBER SCHOOLS

OIA

ILH

BIIF

MIL

KIF

here they all are

Hawaii at number one seems a bit odd considering how isolated it is. But hey im not going to take anything away from those samoins! I would just think that maybe someone like South Lake Carrol or Highland Park maybe even Texarkana or Gilmer might have made the list since they were talking about the total sucess in your classification. Maybe even Katy... oh well its a national poll....

and the sports offered

PARTICIPATING SPORTS

VARSITY BOYS

BASEBALL

BASKETBALL

BOWLING

CANOE PADDLING

CROSS COUNTRY

DIVING

FOOTBALL

GOLF

JUDO

KAYAKING

RIFLERY

SAILING

SOCCER

SWIMMING

TRACK & FIELD

TENNIS

VOLLEYBALL

WATER POLO

WRESTLING

spacer.gifVARSITY GIRLS

BASKETBALL

BOWLING

CANOE PADDLING

CROSS COUNTRY

DIVING

GOLF

GYMNASTICS

JUDO

KAYAKING

CHEERLEADING

RIFLERY

SAILING

SOCCER

SOFTBALL

SWIMMING

TENNIS

TRACK & FIELD

VOLLEYBALL

WATER POLO

WRESTLING

First of all, let me say that I do NOT agree with the ranking of the top programs , but the list is based on the success of the over all program , not the amount of talent , and I have to agree that 16 state championships is quite an accomplishment