Rangers broadcast Tom Grieve diagnosed with prostate cancer

(by By T.R. Sullivan | MLB.com)

CLEVELAND -- Rangers broadcaster Tom Grieve has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo surgery on June 9. Grieve expressed confidence in a complete recovery and is expected to miss no more than two to three weeks.

Grieve received the diagnosis a month ago and told only a few people until the Rangers made an official announcement Friday. Grieve undergoes regular checkups and tests with Dr. Scott Hunter, and that's how the problem was discovered. Grieve said they found the cancer in enough time where the odds are high for a full recovery.

"The only way you get into serious trouble is if you wait until you have strong symptoms," Grieve said. "I didn't have any symptoms. This was just in my checkup. They anticipate taking it out and there [being] no signs that the cancer has spread."

Rangers hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo underwent surgery for prostate cancer two years ago and has had no problems since then. Rangers scout Mel Didier is also a long-term survivor of prostate cancer.

"I've known for a month, and there hasn't been one time where I've sat down and worried about it," Grieve said. "There were days gone by when I didn't think about it. I think about my golf game on an hourly basis, but there are times when four or five days go by and I don't think about it.

"I've seen three doctors and they're all tremendous. I have total confidence they are the right people to do the job. I'm not going to get on the Internet and look for alternative treatments."

Grieve will continue broadcasting right up to the day before the surgery. While Grieve is out, radio broadcaster Victor Rojas will move into the television booth with Josh Lewin, and Steve Busby will work radio with Eric Nadel.

Grieve is in his 14th season as a Rangers broadcaster after spending 10 years as the club's general manager. He also played for the Rangers in 1970-77.