Hallsville Bobcats

HvilleCat23

i happen to be out of town for them, does anyone know anything about this year based on the game and who stood out? We have ALOT returning and a bunch of youngsters stepping up. should be an exciting year! I know some longview guys usually show up. any info?

I heard that Jones did really well and Hutchinson looked pretty good as well. Also, the Hallsville fans are saying the defense overall looked quick. I wanted to go check them out but didnt get a chance to go. Anybody know if the Bobcats are playing in the Pine Tree 7-on-7 league again this year?? If so, that would be a good opportunity to see what they've got.

I heard that Jones did really well and Hutchinson looked pretty good as well. Also, the Hallsville fans are saying the defense overall looked quick. I wanted to go check them out but didnt get a chance to go. Anybody know if the Bobcats are playing in the Pine Tree 7-on-7 league again this year?? If so, that would be a good opportunity to see what they've got.

Thanks alot Mavfan :thumbsup: i knew i could get a repost from marshall. Hope this is true or even an UNDER statement hehe. Whens the tourney? i could try to find out... Hope these bobcats can pull out some upsets this year! i can see them sneaking into playoffs. Jones should beast up some of teams :happy65:

Purple tames White in Bobcats spring football game

By JAY NEAL, News Messenger

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

HALLSVILLE — The Hallsville High School football team wrapped up three weeks of spring practice with its annual spring game that saw 70 players take to the turf of Bobcat Stadium Tuesday night with the purple unit defeating the white squad 13-7.

Of greater importance than the score was the beginning of the process of returning the Bobcats to their winning ways on the gridiron — Hallsville finished an uncharacteristic 3-7 in 2007, 1-6 in district.

Les Hassell/Cox East Texas

(ENLARGE)

Quarterback Brandon Denton fires downfield during Tuesday's Purple vs. White spring football game at Hallsville High School.

Head coach David Plunk stated the Bobcats entered spring workouts this year with a greater sense of urgency, determined not to have a repeat of 2007.

"We approached off season as a whole much differently," he said. "We don't want what happened last year to happen again."

Plunk went on to say the majority of the heavy duty preparation for the fall of 2008 is done in the spring and that jobs are won (or lost) in many instances based on what happens in spring drills.

"The spring is important. We can't waste this time because 80 percent of the physical work is done here in the spring," he said. "Most of the (starting) jobs are won this time of the year."

One person who has won a starting job is returning quarterback Tom Lee Hutchinson after being challenged by Jarred Simpson this spring.

Simpson was the junior varsity starter a year ago before going down early in the year with a season-ending injury.

The two signal callers are cut out of a different cloth, with Hutchinson being a feisty scrambler while Simpson is a typical strong-armed, drop-back passer.

Hutchinson connected with Daryl Lighthall on an 15-yard completion along the side line as well as a 10-yarder to Dadrian Johnson in the second period of the scrimmage for the purple squad.

Senior running back A.J. Jones had a big night, rushing for nearly 100 yards while scoring the game's first touchdown with 2:02 to play in the second period, bowling in from eight yards out. The score was set up by a 20-yard keeper by Hutchinson.

Freshman Quantrail Johnson electrified the crowd, snuffing out a promising drive of just over 60 yards by the purple team, by picking off a Hutchinson pass near the 5-yard line and returning it 95 yards for the only points of the night for the white team.

The purple unit added a score on their last possession of the game as junior varsity quarterback Brandon Denton led his squad on a six-play, 70-yard march, capped by a 20-yard scoring strike to Eric Mitchell on a timing pattern just inside the front pylon of the end zone.

Denton and Mitchell had also hooked up on a 29-yard catch-and-run on the second play of the drive.

Prior to the opening kick off, seniors Michael Boyd, Dalton Buchanan, Jonah Huckaby, Hutchinson, Jarod Jackson, Jones and Brandon Powell were announced as team captains for the 2008 season.

Plunk felt good about the Bobcats' efforts this spring while mentioning being pleasantly surprised by some of the things he and his staff had witnessed.

"I thought the team did good overall in the 15 days of work we had," he said. "I told the team before the scrimmage that we were not basing our decisions strictly on what happened in this game tonight, but, what has taken place during the entire time (of spring practice). A.J. Jones had a good spring and he is one of three good tailbacks we have. We are solid at offensive line. Once those guys come together they will be a strength of our team and we have found some defensive ends that we didn't know we had coming in."

Hallsville opens the regular season Aug. 29 by hosting Tatum. The District 13-4A opener is slated for Sept. 26 when Mount Pleasant visits Bobcat Stadium.

Yeah, I'll agree that Hallsville should win the game. I think Hallsville will be better this year than last and Tatum lost quite a few from last year. Now if this game was played in 07 instead of 08 I think I probably would have put my money on the Eagles...2A or not them boys were good.

Yeah, I'll agree that Hallsville should win the game. I think Hallsville will be better this year than last and Tatum lost quite a few from last year. Now if this game was played in 07 instead of 08 I think I probably would have put my money on the Eagles...2A or not them boys were good.

Will be a good game, hallsville is going to have one of there better teams this year than in pasts... Tatum is the opposite. and they are quite smaller, in 07 i dont think the eagles could've held the Fry and Darius combo and the D. but the game should be GREAT!

in 07 i dont think the eagles could've held the Fry and Darius combo and the D. but the game should be GREAT!

You're kidding, right? Don't make the mistakes Carthage made earlier this decade thinking you can take the one-stoplight town. Even when they should get beat, they find a way to win.

You're kidding, right? Don't make the mistakes Carthage made earlier this decade thinking you can take the one-stoplight tow Even when they should get beat, they find a way to win.

Not kidding even a little bit, that year Hallsville was bi-district champs and that means they finished over some really tough teams and they were in the top 25 of 4a... I think hallsville would've had their number, just like Palestine had Adrian Peterson and Hallsville had a salty team that year and beat out the Senior thats now setting records in the nfl...

Not kidding even a little bit, that year Hallsville was bi-district champs and that means they finished over some really tough teams and they were in the top 25 of 4a... I think hallsville would've had their number, just like Palestine had Adrian Peterson and Hallsville had a salty team that year and beat out the Senior thats now setting records in the nfl...

are you talking about in the 06 season? cuz hallsville lost to north lamar in the first round...

and there is no way you should make the comparison of those hallsville teams to this years...because there is no rodrick muckelroy...and hallsville had a better TEAM than palestine that year...

tatum prolly couldn't beat hallsville right now...but two and three years ago they certainly could have.

are you talking about in the 06 season? cuz hallsville lost to north lamar in the first round...

and there is no way you should make the comparison of those hallsville teams to this years...because there is no rodrick muckelroy...and hallsville had a better TEAM than palestine that year...

tatum prolly couldn't beat hallsville right now...but two and three years ago they certainly could have.

it was a choke... and i guess your right, seeing my bobcats get beat by teams like Henderson, Nac ,MP after usually dominating them i cant say the bobcats should be compared. not disrespect to these programs, not even the least, but we should have some playmakers like muckelroy in different spots this year. :thumbsup:

it was a choke... and i guess your right, seeing my bobcats get beat by teams like Henderson, Nac ,MP after usually dominating them i cant say the bobcats should be compared. not disrespect to these programs, not even the least, but we should have some playmakers like muckelroy in different spots this year. :thumbsup:

It was no choke HC23 we flat out beat you in a very good game. The field was dry not wet we had a good team in 06 with a first team all state running back that had close to 3000 yrs rushing a solid D and a QB every bit as good as Fry! Please stop with the excuses.

no disrespect to these programs, not even the least, but we should have some playmakers like muckelroy in different spots this year. :thumbsup:

........no you wont. did you even watch muck play? he was on a level that no other hallsville bobcat has reached since. not saying yall wont have another player like him at some point...just not this year.

........no you wont. did you even watch muck play? he was on a level that no other hallsville bobcat has reached since. not saying yall wont have another player like him at some point...just not this year.

A little off topic here, but it reminded me of a funny half time speech. We were playing against Hallsville when they had Muckelroy (I played for Henderson). At halftime, our o-line coach tells us "Y'all are making Muckelroy look like an all-state linebacker." Funny thing was, he had made all-state the year before. Seemed funny to me anyways.

i played against him... he got me free rides to Hville games. yeah i watched him play. the question is... did you? i know you didnt follow Hallsville games because of him... i dont think you followed them last year or year before either. You DONT know who we have coming up.. bad post dude :thumbdown:

HC23. I am a Hallsville alum and a UT alum. And I am a Homer when it comes to sports. Hallsville may have some "playmakers" this coming year but they will not be on the same level as Muckelroy or even Fry. Will they be better than last year? Yes.

well since fry was on O, and i dont see anyone on O being as much of a game changer as him, i dont see that happening. Our Wrs will be stout and RB will be REAL stout but we also have a soph RB competing for the job. he also plays D and is a TRUE athlete. and on D well you'll see what we got :thumbsup: secondary and D line should be beastly. i know AJ was a top LB in district last year and should continue to make plays.

well since fry was on O, and i dont see anyone on O being as much of a game changer as him, i dont see that happening. Our Wrs will be stout and RB will be REAL stout but we also have a soph RB competing for the job. he also plays D and is a TRUE athlete. and on D well you'll see what we got :thumbsup: secondary and D line should be beastly. i know AJ was a top LB in district last year and should continue to make plays.

I hope that you are right. Trel Johnson was brought up a game or two last year as a Freshman but did not get any playing time which was a mistake on account that the season did not matter at the time. Would have loved to see what he would do against the big boys. Similar mistake made with Hutchison (QB) as a sophmore. He should have stayed on JV to get more experience since he rarely saw the field as a soph playing behind Fry.

I was gratuitous last year in believing that we would go 4-6. As you know we did not do that. Unfortunately I am expecting much of the same. The athletes may be there but I do not see an on-the-field inspirational leader stepping up to give Hallsville that edge.

Nonetheless I will be at all of the games as I always have been. Home or away.

I hope that you are right. Trel Johnson was brought up a game or two last year as a Freshman but did not get any playing time which was a mistake on account that the season did not matter at the time. Would have loved to see what he would do against the big boys. Similar mistake made with Hutchison (QB) as a sophmore. He should have stayed on JV to get more experience since he rarely saw the field as a soph playing behind Fry.

I was gratuitous last year in believing that we would go 4-6. As you know we did not do that. Unfortunately I am expecting much of the same. The athletes may be there but I do not see an on-the-field inspirational leader stepping up to give Hallsville that edge.

Nonetheless I will be at all of the games as I always have been. Home or away.

you are very right, these coaching decisions were big mistakes. they didnt do that to kendrick and he turned up to be a great back! maybe there will be some attitude changes as far as on the field play, hope to take off so i can watch them games next year, question... if you fail as a senior at the end of the year can you play football?

you are very right, these coaching decisions were big mistakes. they didnt do that to kendrick and he turned up to be a great back! maybe there will be some attitude changes as far as on the field play, hope to take off so i can watch them games next year, question... if you fail as a senior at the end of the year can you play football?

Good question. It may have to do with your age as well. Several years ago Hallsville had a RB that was 19 or 20 at the time. He was granted an exemption to play because he had failed prior to the 7th grade. At least that is how I remember it. At times he was quite good. After a great run once I commented that he was "a man among boys". No pun intended, it was an honest observation. I was quickly chastised by a coaches wife that was sitting behind me. She thought that I was actually commenting about his age. She was quick to point out that he had clearance from the UIL.

Another question; is there a limit on how many years you can play a varsity sport? ie, freshman through senior year (4).

Do you mean failing at the end of your junior year? I do not know. I would assume that Summer School attendance would be a requirement. If you successfully passed the summer courses then I would guess that you would be eligible.

this came up at my high-school....some parent was going to hold their son/daughter back a year because of a reading disorder as a freshman...he had already played varsity football that year so there is one year........the family was questioning the decision because they wanted him to play football his senior season.........this was in 2001 so i'm not sure what the rule is now but then the UIL told the family that you have 5 years of high school eligibility or until you are 20 or 21 not sure on the age number but i know the 5 years of high school eligibility is right.

yeah, i dont know how far behind he is but he was a starter on varsity and only played varsity for one or two years, im not sure if he even played football his soph or fresh years... if so i hope he can, hes a big guy and has good strength, i heard something about not being able to play the first two years or something.