LE Game Today

Mustang64

This is the exact score I predicted yesterday. Great season for LE, they just happened to run into the best pitcher in 3A today. Congrats on a great season.

Actually Lacey was the better pitcher in alot of ways, the run was unearned and was a questionable call, but that is the way it goes.

There were several Leopard at bats that went over 10 pitches. I think one went 16 pitches before she was walked. It was not the pitching that won the game it was her defense. They made a couple of plays that would have cost them if they were not made.

Actually Lacey was the better pitcher in alot of ways, the run was unearned and was a questionable call, but that is the way it goes.

There were several Leopard at bats that went over 10 pitches. I think one went 16 pitches before she was walked. It was not the pitching that won the game it was her defense. They made a couple of plays that would have cost them if they were not made.

That is a tough debate for you if you look at the facts. Huntington hit Lacey well. She gave up 5 hits in only 6 innings. Thomas gave up only 4 hits in 7 innings and her team won. Thomas was named MVP. Her record this year was 28-1 compared to Middlebrooks at 23-3. Thomas also went over 3 months this season without giving up a run of ANY kind. In the ENTIRE playoffs, including the State Tournament, only 1 run was scored on Thomas and that was unearned. Middlebrooks gave up 9 runs in the playoffs. No doubt Lacey is great but you have to credit Thomas. She showed in the season, playoffs and today why she is the best in 3A.

That is a tough debate for you if you look at the facts. Huntington hit Lacey well. She gave up 5 hits in only 6 innings. Thomas gave up only 4 hits in 7 innings and her team won. Thomas was named MVP. Her record this year was 28-1 compared to Middlebrooks at 23-3. Thomas also went over 3 months this season without giving up a run of ANY kind. In the ENTIRE playoffs, including the State Tournament, only 1 run was scored on Thomas and that was unearned. Middlebrooks gave up 9 runs in the playoffs. No doubt Lacey is great but you have to credit Thomas. She showed in the season, playoffs and today why she is the best in 3A.

Snowbird,

First let me say Huntington and Carlie Thomas are very deserving of their championship. Thomas is the player of the year in 3A with 20 shutouts in her last 21 games. She's an outstanding talent, but Lacey Middlebrooks is the better pitcher and she did outpitch Carlie, but just barely. Huntington could not hit Lacey, only one ball out of the infield and 11 of the 18 outs were strikeouts. Carlie pitched a great game against L-E, but she was hit hard at times. Lacey is bigger, stronger, has more pitches, better control and she's also her team's leading hitter. Carlie got MVP, which was deserving. If L-E had won Middlebrooks would have been the MVP. The award goes to a player on the winning team. Carlie didn't bat in championship game.. I just got back from the tournament, and I believe this. If you played four weeks in a row you might have four different winners. Medina Valley had all nine starters back from the team that beat Huntington last year, but lost in semis to L-E. I believe this, too, we'll see who the better pitcher is once they get to college. Carlie is going to be a good college pitcher, but I'm not sure she'll be Division I like Middlebrooks will be. The good news is that Huntington should be a strong candidate for state again next year. L-E graduates eight starters. Middlebrooks is back, but she'll need help.

The good news is that Huntington should be a strong candidate for state again next year. L-E graduates eight starters. Middlebrooks is back, but she'll need help.

Huntington also loses 8 srs. I beleive atleast 6 of them for sure are starters. It will also be a rebuilding year for them. What a great group of young ladies graduating from Huntington. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have worked hard for many years in travel ball and high school to acomplish a common goal. Best of luck to the 4 or 5 of you that are going on to play college ball. :happy65:

mrknowitall-

We will just have to agree to disagree. All of the yearly stats are in favor of Carlie Thomas and she is the 3A player of the year. It is hard to argue the facts. Look at the box score. How can you say Lacey outpitched her? Lacey gave up 5 hits in only 6 innings. Thomas only gave up 4 hits in 7 innings. Both teams made plays. Heck, Lacey's team made some plays behind her against Bullard that kept them from losing those games. Both were 1-0. It is hard to argue with a girls that tosses 20 of 21 shutouts to end the year and win the State Championship. Remember, she is only a sophomore so I am not sure how you can say she will not be D1. She is already very good and has 2 years to develop. But I would be glad to revisit in 2 years and see how these girls are doing. BOTH are outstanding pitchers and capable of great things at the next level. However, based on the results, watching them pitch and the cold hard stats, Thomas is the best pitcher in 3A. Bigger and stronger doesn't always mean better.

Thomas did do a great job.....congrats to her and Huntington on there championship......But to say they hit Lacey well I really dont agree with.....of the 5 hits, one of them was a caught ball by the first baseman for LE that the umps blew the call on, so down to 4 hits, 2 of them was good bunts, great plays by the offensive team, still counts as hits as they should...I believe 1 ball hit out of the infield, LE's outfielders were spectators except for that one hit as that was the only one that left the infiled. so to say they hit Lacey well, is not a fair or accurate statement.....nor did LE as a team hit Thomas well. If not for the controversial call at the plate when the lone run was scored, we might still be playing 0-0 game. But run scored Huntington won and once again congratulations to them.

So who is the best pitcher in 3A? Well I would say after all the excitement wears off from the this weekend and things are back to normal, ask any 3A coach in the state that has seen Lacey pitch including Huntingtons, who would be their #1 pitcher if Lacey was on there team?

Thomas did do a great job.....congrats to her and Huntington on there championship......But to say they hit Lacey well I really dont agree with.....of the 5 hits, one of them was a caught ball by the first baseman for LE that the umps blew the call on, so down to 4 hits, 2 of them was good bunts, great plays by the offensive team, still counts as hits as they should...I believe 1 ball hit out of the infield, LE's outfielders were spectators except for that one hit as that was the only one that left the infiled. so to say they hit Lacey well, is not a fair or accurate statement.....nor did LE as a team hit Thomas well. If not for the controversial call at the plate when the lone run was scored, we might still be playing 0-0 game. But run scored Huntington won and once again congratulations to them.

So who is the best pitcher in 3A? Well I would say after all the excitement wears off from the this weekend and things are back to normal, ask any 3A coach in the state that has seen Lacey pitch including Huntingtons, who would be their #1 pitcher if Lacey was on there team?

As a spectator of LE's games on Friday and Saturday, I do not know any 3A coach who would want any pitcher on their team that verbally abused their catcher the way LE's pitcher did. That is just not good for team chemistry and not the charactistics a coach is looking for in a pitcher and leader. For that matter, even college coaches. As far as a controversial play at the plate or an infield pop up to first base, their was nothing controversial about them. The umpire called them safe, therefore there is no controversy. LE ask for help on those calls as they should have and the original calls stood. Which team hit the ball better off of a pitcher has nothing to do with who is a better pitcher. Maybe one team had better hitters. Maybe one team had more speed at the plate. Maybe one team could play the short game better. Maybe a defensive player got a bad jump on a ball that was scored a hit. You can debate this to the end of time. The fact of the matter is Huntington won against a very good LE TEAM not LE pitcher. Neither team got to Austin by accident. Congrats to both on a great season.

As a spectator of LE's games on Friday and Saturday, I do not know any 3A coach who would want any pitcher on their team that verbally abused their catcher the way LE's pitcher did. That is just not good for team chemistry and not the charactistics a coach is looking for in a pitcher and leader. For that matter, even college coaches. As far as a controversial play at the plate or an infield pop up to first base, their was nothing controversial about them. The umpire called them safe, therefore there is no controversy. LE ask for help on those calls as they should have and the original calls stood. Which team hit the ball better off of a pitcher has nothing to do with who is a better pitcher. Maybe one team had better hitters. Maybe one team had more speed at the plate. Maybe one team could play the short game better. Maybe a defensive player got a bad jump on a ball that was scored a hit. You can debate this to the end of time. The fact of the matter is Huntington won against a very good LE TEAM not LE pitcher. Neither team got to Austin by accident. Congrats to both on a great season.

So because the umpire called them safe that means there is no conrovercy? Thats like saying umpires cant make bad calls, they are human so of course they can. I dont agree but thats your opinion so lets move on....the part that I was responding to about the hits was someone had stated that Huntington hit the ball well against LE, sorry I didnt agree. Did they get there hits yes, did they count as hits yes..where they the kind of hits that when you read Huntington hit the ball well hits...no. I never took anything away from the Huntington pitcher or team, they won I said congrats.

As a spectator in life, have you ever said anything that you regretted or did not mean in the heat of an argument that you wish later you wouldnt have said? Have you done it as an adult? Remember she is still young and a fierce competitor, does that excuse it? No but please take that into consideration before bashing her on a message board.

From the Austin paper.....so maybe there was controvery not only in the eyes of LE fans

State softball tournament roundup

By Butch Hart

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Class 3A final

HUNTINGTON 1, LIBERTY-EYLAU 0:Carlie Thomas pitched a four-hit shutout Saturday as Huntington defeated Texarkana Liberty-Eylau for the Class 3A state championship.

Thomas struck out eight at McCombs Field as Huntington (30-3-1) won its 21st straight game. Twenty of those victories involved shutout pitching by Thomas.

Huntington's run came on a controversial play in the third inning. With the bases loaded and one out, Katie Mills grounded to third and Liberty-Eylau's Courtney Cooper threw home to catcher Heather Reynolds. The home plate umpire signaled a force out a split second before Huntington's Mallory Brandenburg slid into Reynolds.

Brandenburg's slide toppled Reynolds, and the ball popped loose. The umpire then reversed her call and awarded the run to Huntington.

Liberty-Eylau coach Todd Tipton strenuously argued the call, but to no avail.

Liberty-Eylau (24-4-1) reached the state final four for the first time this season.

So because the umpire called them safe that means there is no conrovercy? Thats like saying umpires cant make bad calls, they are human so of course they can. I dont agree but thats your opinion so lets move on....the part that I was responding to about the hits was someone had stated that Huntington hit the ball well against LE, sorry I didnt agree. Did they get there hits yes, did they count as hits yes..where they the kind of hits that when you read Huntington hit the ball well hits...no. I never took anything away from the Huntington pitcher or team, they won I said congrats.

As a spectator in life, have you ever said anything that you regretted or did not mean in the heat of an argument that you wish later you wouldnt have said? Have you done it as an adult? Remember she is still young and a fierce competitor, does that excuse it? No but please take that into consideration before bashing her on a message board.

I was not bashing her, I was just stating what I observed. It was disappointing to see a young lady with her talent behaving in this manner. A fierce competitor usually does not display this kind of behavior. I am surprised the coaching staff would except this kind of display of sportsmanship. You ask if I had said things in the heat of an aurgument that I wished I hadn't. Yes I have. Have I ever turned on my own teamates and dressed them down in front 917 spectators on Friday and 907 on Saturday, NO. I would only guess that this would make for some very unconfortable situations in the stands among the LE parents.

Who hit what and how hard is all relative. The bottom line is this was a great game played by 2 very good TEAMS. They both deserved to be there. Sometimes we get too caught up in who's the best team or pitcher ect... We need to stop long enough and think about what's really important. I think next year we should petition UIL to turn off the scoreboard and close the pressbox and just let the kids have fun! That game could have went either way. As I said earlier CONGRATS TO BOTH LE AND HUNTINGTON.

First of all... the "verbal abuse" Lacey gave the catcher was not abuse... All of those girls look to her as a leader and like any good leader of a team when someone makes a mistake they are told about it. Lacey is a leader and a competitor to the core. When she is saying what she says to her team that is how she plays... she has won a world series and runner up a world series playing this way. Just because another person thinks that nothing should be said is ludacris. I want someone on the field taking control. I would want my leader making sure that someone who has made a mistake does not make the same one, as another could cost them the game. I assure you many many colleges have talked to lacey and want lacey. They love the tenacity on the field it shows how much she wants to win. She is the best pitcher in 3A and one of the best in the state bar none. This day the other team got the run that they needed, contraversal or not, it counted and the game is over. Both pitchers will be back next year. Both pitchers lose their teams basically and have to play with a totally different roster. But that is why there are eight other players on the field. Good job Huntington you girls deserve the trophy you are a good team. It does #### however that the game will always (to us at least) have a doubt cast over the entire thing.

snowbird,

as a former Lady Leopard softball player as of yesterday. I would like to ask you were you ever at the game? did you see the call wait CALLS!?? Heather (our catcher) had the ball way before the girl started to slide the umpire yelled out! then took it away.. as well as a pop up kaylee treas dove for but yet the same umpire said it touched the ground but it didn't. pictures say alot. And our stick zone from when we were batting and they were batting come on!! i had a third strike call on me that was over the other batting boxes line.. i couldnt have hit it with a flag pole.and pitches that was almost hitting us were strikes.. but changed for the other team! Now im not taking nothing away from that team they were good.. their pitcher was decent im my opinion not better than lacey and alot of people in the STATE of TEXAS agree with me.. MVP always goes to the winning teams pitcher take a look at the pattern.. Once again im not taking nothing away from them they were good.. But i just wish we would have had a fair chance.. It was our dream too and we never even had a chance at it.. not only did we have to beat the other team but the home plate umpire (who controls the game) Once again hunnigton is a great team and they deserved it every bit as much as we did.. But in a STATE GAME we should get good umpires thats not laughing and joking around with one catcher.. and then telling our catcher after calling the girl safe.. "TO CHECK THE REPLAY AFTER THE GAME!".. fair is fair.. But at LE we have good sportsmanship and we belive whats ment to be is gonna be.. and it just wasnt. ANd as far as im concerend im proud of my team cus with that kinda of calling 1 to 0 is good! I love you girls we made history and proved everyone wrong. Lacey your the best in texas not just in 3a good luck next year :)

Oh and snowbird..

This is the 2nd baseman Nicki Spangler..

now r u brave enough to tell who u r after bashing my team??

snowbird,

as a former Lady Leopard softball player as of yesterday. I would like to ask you were you ever at the game? did you see the call wait CALLS!?? Heather (our catcher) had the ball way before the girl started to slide the umpire yelled out! then took it away.. as well as a pop up kaylee treas dove for but yet the same umpire said it touched the ground but it didn't. pictures say alot. And our stick zone from when we were batting and they were batting come on!! i had a third strike call on me that was over the other batting boxes line.. i couldnt have hit it with a flag pole.and pitches that was almost hitting us were strikes.. but changed for the other team! Now im not taking nothing away from that team they were good.. their pitcher was decent im my opinion not better than lacey and alot of people in the STATE of TEXAS agree with me.. MVP always goes to the winning teams pitcher take a look at the pattern.. Once again im not taking nothing away from them they were good.. But i just wish we would have had a fair chance.. It was our dream too and we never even had a chance at it.. not only did we have to beat the other team but the home plate umpire (who controls the game) Once again hunnigton is a great team and they deserved it every bit as much as we did.. But in a STATE GAME we should get good umpires thats not laughing and joking around with one catcher.. and then telling our catcher after calling the girl safe.. "TO CHECK THE REPLAY AFTER THE GAME!".. fair is fair.. But at LE we have good sportsmanship and we belive whats ment to be is gonna be.. and it just wasnt. ANd as far as im concerend im proud of my team cus with that kinda of calling 1 to 0 is good! I love you girls we made history and proved everyone wrong. Lacey your the best in texas not just in 3a good luck next year :)

Oh and snowbird..

This is the 2nd baseman Nicki Spangler..

now r u brave enough to tell who u r after bashing my team??

WELL SAID NICKI we love ya girl... all of you.. we are so sad to see all the seniors go we enjoyed every minute of everygame. Ya'll were so tough this year and don't think you proved us wrong. We believed in ya'll and still do. KALE

WELL SAID NICKI we love ya girl... all of you.. we are so sad to see all the seniors go we enjoyed every minute of everygame. Ya'll were so tough this year and don't think you proved us wrong. We believed in ya'll and still do. KALE

I agree and I am just as proud of these girls today as I would have been had things turned out different.