Controversial call at LE game

viperball

I don't have a copy of the NFHS rulebook, and would like to know how their defination of a legal catch reads. I've read the ASA version and Dixie version (both seem the same). The Dixie version is as follows;

CATCH — A catch is a legally caught ball which occurs when the fielder catches a batted, pitched, or thrown ball with her hand(s) or glove. If the ball is merely held in the fielder's arm(s) or prevented from dropping to the ground by some part of the fielder's body or clothing, the catch is not completed until the ball is in the grasp of the fielder's hand(s) or glove. It is not a catch if a fielder, immediately after she contacts the ball, collides with another player, umpire, or a

fence, or falls to the ground and drops the ball as a result of the collision or falling to the ground. In establishing a valid catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove she has complete control of the ball and that her release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. If a player drops the ball after reaching into her glove to remove the ball, or while in the act of throwing the ball, it is a valid catch.

In order for a force out to be called, a legal catch has to occur. If the NFHS rule for a legal catch is different, please post the defination.

I think this is my last post on this subject. Subject is about beat to death.

Again congrats to both teams. I was lucky enough see to all 3A games. All participates should be extremely proud of their accomplishments this year!

So are you saying that it was or wasn't a legal catch by L.E.'s catcher???

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a catch if a fielder, immediately after she contacts the ball, collides with another player, umpire, or a

fence, or falls to the ground and drops the ball as a result of the collision or falling to the ground.

Not a catch by this defination. Again though, I don't know how the NFHS rule reads.

She held the ball long enough to establish possession. If you saw the game or the replay then you know that both hands were on the ball..... which satisfies the reaching into the glove part of the definition.

She held the ball long enough to establish possession. If you saw the game or the replay then you know that both hands were on the ball..... which satisfies the reaching into the glove part of the definition.

And it was a force at home right?

I guess it comes down to Ms Blue's defination of "immeadiatly after".

Assuming:

1. The ball reached the catcher with the runner already in her slide and approximately 3 feet from the catcher
  2. Runner was at a speed of approximately 15 MPH (22 feet per second)
The time between ball hitting glove and catcher's feet being cut out from under her was approximately .136 seconds.

Based on the final call, it appears that this was well within the "immeadiently after" time period in the opinion of the blue that was in charge.

And thats the thing the blue called her out when the catcher had the ball and taged home plate. Then when then runner slid into the catcher and the catcher droped the ball when she hit the ground she changed the call from out to safe.

I have picture of the runner sliding and the ball still in the air. I've tried unsuccessfully to post it. If anyone wants to see it I will email it to you...... [email protected].

I also was at the game and I saw the Catcher catch the ball and step on the plate and was fixing to turn two but she saw the runner decide (even tho she was out on a force) sliding in and she tried to tuck the ball back in her glove, but the runner decided that she wanted to cheat and take the catcher out to win the game even tho she was already out and she knew it. Also L.E. couldn't get a call for anything from the home plate umpire she was the worst I have ever seen and wouldn't ever want anyone to have to have her behind the plate. She called things that they would have to move there legs out of the way for a strike now come on I think thats a sign of how bad she is.

:coolball:

i havent been on in a couple days cus i needed to stay off cus i was getting so angry.. haha but i wanted to see if people kept saying stuff so here i am.. Now the only thing i can say about whoever said this is way outta line for saying the cheated and all that stuff that was basically the rudest thing i can imagine someone saying that is from LE and for US! :thumbdown: where is the good sportsmanship? We didnt even act like that and we PlAYED!!! now u should seriously be ashamed of yourself cus that just showed a ton of stupidity from you.. i hope your happy.. alot of people prolly lost a little respect for LE because of ur stupidity..

im sorry hunnigton im sure yall read that and not everyone here is like that..

people need to grow up especially the adults.. please.. some of these people r worse than freshman and freshman are horrible! so yall need to chill out..

and whoever said that needs to apologize

Thank goodness for Umpires and other sports officials so THEY can take the blame when a team loses. There are controversial or calls that can go either way in every game of every sport. Sometimes they go your way, sometimes they don't. I am sure every team can look back on their season and count the number of times a call that could have gone either way went THEIR way and the other team was upset. It just irritates me profusely when the outcome of entire game is blamed on one call of an umpire or sports official when there are many other plays that were not made or a play called by a coach that did not work, etc., etc, etc. There would be no controversy had the catcher held onto the ball and made the play. Something to think about. Make the play and no controversy.

Again, thank goodness for Umpires and sports officials that have the guts to get out there and officiate games knowing they are going to get ridiculed and blamed for something in almost every game.

:coolball:

i havent been on in a couple days cus i needed to stay off cus i was getting so angry.. haha but i wanted to see if people kept saying stuff so here i am.. Now the only thing i can say about whoever said this is way outta line for saying the cheated and all that stuff that was basically the rudest thing i can imagine someone saying that is from LE and for US! :thumbdown: where is the good sportsmanship? We didnt even act like that and we PlAYED!!! now u should seriously be ashamed of yourself cus that just showed a ton of stupidity from you.. i hope your happy.. alot of people prolly lost a little respect for LE because of ur stupidity..

im sorry hunnigton im sure yall read that and not everyone here is like that..

people need to grow up especially the adults.. please.. some of these people r worse than freshman and freshman are horrible! so yall need to chill out..

and whoever said that needs to apologize

A very mature post.......I thought LE played great softball! A very classey group of girls.