Benson Does it again...

Chicago Bears and former University of Texas running back Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with drunken driving in downtown Austin, police said.

Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said Benson was stopped overnight at 5th and Colorado Streets for a traffic violation and refused a breathalyzer and blood test.

Benson was arrested and taken to the Travis County Jail. He was released around 9 a.m. this morning on bond, jail officials said.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was arrested on Lake Travis on charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both class B misdemeanors. Those cases are still pending.

What a dumb#$&!! This guy has no clue and he is finding out fast that his "job" does not give him the right to break the law just because he went to UT or is in the NFL. I hope the commish puts him out for a year. Maybe that will wake him up. Then he can be like his idol...Ricky (weed) Williams!

Guest bleeds

LF, there will those who will come on here and try to tell us this thug is just a victim of the system, again.

How pathetic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmOh...p&type=lgns

Bears release Benson following 2nd arrest

By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer 30 minutes ago

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP)—Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was released Monday following his second alcohol-related arrest in a month.

“Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate,” General Manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. “As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions.”

The troubled running back did not participate in organized team activities on Monday, and it was unclear whether he showed up at Halas Hall.

Benson’s agent Eugene Parker and attorney Sam Bassett did not return messages seeking comment before the announcement that he’d been waived.

The Bears had already made it clear they were losing patience with Benson when they drafted Tulane’s Matt Forte in the second round in April. Three ineffective, injury-plagued years during which Benson at times annoyed teammates with blunt comments left management looking for another running back. And that was before the recent brushes with the law.

“When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team,” Angelo said. “Those who fail to understand the importance of ‘team’ will not play for the Chicago Bears.”

Benson’s rocky relationship with the Bears took a turn for the worse when he was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday after failing a field sobriety test. The former first-round draft pick was released on bond.

In this Oct. 28, 2007 file photo, Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson carries the ball during an NFL game against the Detroit Lions at Soldier Field in Chicago. Benson was arrested early Saturday June 7, 2008 in Austin, Texas.

In this Oct. 28, 2007 file pho…

AP - Jun 9, 1:34 pm EDT

The former first-round draft pick was also arrested May 5 and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest on a lake near Austin. Both cases are pending.

Bassett said Saturday that the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn’t think he was intoxicated, although he acknowledged his client would “probably be in trouble with his team.”

Benson was pulled over for running a red light and refused to take a breath test or provide blood samples Saturday, Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said.

Bassett said Benson thought the light was yellow when he went through around 2 a.m. but stopped immediately when police appeared, and he added that Benson told him he wasn’t speeding or driving recklessly.

The last thing he needed was more trouble.

A few promising glimpses aside, Benson has not lived up to the hype that accompanied him to the NFL when the Bears took him with the fourth pick in 2005. He has 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 3.8 yards a carry for the Bears after running for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at Texas.

Benson also has a June 30 court date for the May arrest while operating a 30-foot boat on Lake Travis—an incident in which authorities used pepper spray to subdue him. No court date had been set for the latest incident as of Monday afternoon.

With Benson gone, Forte has a big opportunity.

“I’m not going to sit here and doubt myself or my talent,” Forte said before Benson was released. “I believe that I can come in and play.”

Another wasteoid wasting talent from Austin. :thumbdown:

Travis County might as well paint the inside of a jail cell burnt* orange and designate it "The Longhorn Inn."

*burnt....another joke altogether :w00t:

book 'em horns

hmmmmmmm........I beg your pardon, but didn't you mean BEARS? I know bears and longhorns are both animals and I am sure for most folks they can be told apart, but since you are having problems in that regard, I direct your attention that Benson was a member of professional football .....the Chicago Bears....NOT college football and the Texas Longhorns.

hmmmmmmm........I beg your pardon, but didn't you mean BEARS? I know bears and longhorns are both animals and I am sure for most folks they can be told apart, but since you are having problems in that regard, I direct your attention that Benson was a member of professional football .....the Chicago Bears....NOT college football and the Texas Longhorns.

i believe that he is trying to say that once again a player from texas has gotten in trouble.

Between the University of Texas and Miami University they could start their own prison.

Wonder if Miami will pick up Benson, now that he's no longer associated with the Bears? After all, they been a haven for a certain Big 12 running back that loves mind-altering thinks.

Seriously, another example of a guy that reached the BIG $$$ in professional sports and still couldn't handle the social pressures. Some turned to drugs .... and others to excessive drinking. What a waste!!!

Maybe he's hit rock bottom. I hope that he'll turn it around .... but sometimes they "stay" on rock bottom. Don't have to face the pressures of climbing back on the horse .... crawling out of the hole .... overcoming the problems ... call it what you will.