Softball in 2009, Who's gonna be the Team to beat.

Beehappy

stingray did u seriously just say winona would be a contender?

Like I said in a previous post, I am new to this area. I did hear, however, Winona is returning a hoss pitcher/catcher duo. I know nothing about the district except what I've heard. Was I misinformed? I also heard Harmony is the powerhouse. Is this accurate?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2009 season, this district consists of:

Harmony

White Oak

Union Grove

Harelton

Winona

Elysian Field

Sabine

New Diana

Of these teams, three will move on to the playoffs.

I feel it will be very close between five teams:

Harmony

White Oak

Winona

Elysian Fields

Harelton

WO and EF are moving from 3a to 2a so I feel a slight advantage there. I think it will be a shoot out though...

EF is not coming from 3A we have been 2A!!!!!!!!

i would think Harmony coming off a state tourney apperance and WO coming off a 3 round appearance in the 3a playoffs will be the favs

Is WO returning many starters? Harmony has nearly the whole starting team back, including both pitchers from last year.

Everyone in this district has alot back.

Harmony - state tourn - almost entire team back + pitchers

EF - regional quarterfinals - entire team back + pitchers

Harleton - regional quarterfinals - almost entire team back + pitchers

White Oak - Regional quarterfinals ( 3A ) - lost only 2nd baseman and right fielder.

Sabine - Area finals (3A) ( a last inning Home Run loss in area away from being in regional quarterfinals ) - almost entire team back - must find a pitcher though to contend this year )

If the others ( UG, Winona, and ND ) have any pitching step up they will fair well also.

This district has been completely dominated by Harmony for so many years now. I think no one dominates this year. It will be a blood bath every time these teams step on the field.

Cant wait

WO beat Harmony last year and the year before..i think WO takes it

Sabine has beat WO 3 of last 4 times they played.

Harleton beat WO last year.

Harmony beat Harleton twice last year.

WO and Harmony have always went back and forth. They usually play more than once during the season, and they usually split. They just happened to only play once last year.

These are new teams, with new players, with who knows what new move ins. EF is going to be extremely good, and may be able to take the top spot also.

All of these teams are going to have to play their absolute best each time they get on the field, or they will find themselves sitting at home and watching the playoffs.

The worse thing about this district - there are 4 or possibly 5 teams that are more than capable of going 3 rounds deep into the playoffs next year. I believe if they were split up you would have 3 district champions out of this district this year. But only 3 teams get to go. This would of been the idea year for 4 teams to make the playoffs instead of 3. Because I truely believe that the 4th place team out of this district could beat a number one team from another district.

Sorry to hear that she was a really talented girl. Not sure is she can be back to pitch for the season but I bet she can hit by then.

She is still a very talented athelete. She has said that she will be back playing for softball. Her Basketball status is way up in the air and that is a big loss for us. But rest assured, she will be pitching this year. After all, it is her senior year and she told me that she will not miss it for the world.

Sabine has beat WO 3 of last 4 times they played.

Harleton beat WO last year.

Harmony beat Harleton twice last year.

WO and Harmony have always went back and forth. They usually play more than once during the season, and they usually split. They just happened to only play once last year.

These are new teams, with new players, with who knows what new move ins. EF is going to be extremely good, and may be able to take the top spot also.

All of these teams are going to have to play their absolute best each time they get on the field, or they will find themselves sitting at home and watching the playoffs.

The worse thing about this district - there are 4 or possibly 5 teams that are more than capable of going 3 rounds deep into the playoffs next year. I believe if they were split up you would have 3 district champions out of this district this year. But only 3 teams get to go. This would of been the idea year for 4 teams to make the playoffs instead of 3. Because I truely believe that the 4th place team out of this district could beat a number one team from another district.

I agree! It is a shame that such a strong district of 8 teams can only have three go to the playoffs.

She is still a very talented athelete. She has said that she will be back playing for softball. Her Basketball status is way up in the air and that is a big loss for us. But rest assured, she will be pitching this year. After all, it is her senior year and she told me that she will not miss it for the world.

A lot of torque is generated on the knees when you pitch. Not sure which knee she hurt but I wish her luck in coming back. My daughter is 8 months out from surgery and still not all the way back. She plays basketball so a little different pounding but 4-5 months is really pushing it for any sport (not sure when she had surgery). I still remember her dominating us (Sabine) her freshman year in the playoffs. The girls were shell shocked she was so good.

Rusk will be tough in Class 3A Region III.... Good young coach, lots of returners, excellent pitching and defense, solid hitting....

With most of the Huntington team lost to graduation, Rusk should be capable of winning the district title in 2009....

The 2009 season, this district consists of:

Harmony

White Oak

Union Grove

Harelton

Winona

Elysian Field

Sabine

New Diana

Of these teams, three will move on to the playoffs.

I feel it will be very close between five teams:

Harmony

White Oak

Winona

Elysian Fields

Harelton

WO and EF are moving from 3a to 2a so I feel a slight advantage there. I think it will be a shoot out though...

Pretty positive that EF did not move down from 3A. They were 2A last year as well.

Rusk will be tough in Class 3A Region III.... Good young coach, lots of returners, excellent pitching and defense, solid hitting....

With most of the Huntington team lost to graduation, Rusk should be capable of winning the district title in 2009....

i think this district will be tough again as usual with every sport.

huntington is the front runner, with hudson, rusk, center fighting it out. diboll and central all fighting for their spots. I remember carthage has some talent but did not play well last year. jasper is not very good at all. i see the district going like this

huntington, rusk, center, hudson, carthage, central, diboll, jasper

i think this district will be tough again as usual with every sport.

huntington is the front runner, with hudson, rusk, center fighting it out. diboll and central all fighting for their spots. I remember carthage has some talent but did not play well last year. jasper is not very good at all. i see the district going like this

huntington, rusk, center, hudson, carthage, central, diboll, jasper

1. Huntington - One word, Thomas. Yes the lost a LOT to graduation but if the other team cannot score then they cannot win. Thomas losing her catcher may be her only problem but by the time district comes around everyone had better watch out.

2. Rusk - They lost the Smith girl and maybe one or two more which should hurt them offensively. They do return their pitcher and several other key players. Had trouble scoring against Huntington last year and I don't see it getting any better.

3. Carthage - If Davis returns from arm problems then they will be tough. I think they too lost a lot to graduation. They also have a new coach which may help them in the long run.

4. Center - Hard throwing pitcher returns. If the ball is put in play they are in trouble. No Defense! Don't remember much offense either.

5. Hudson - Overachiever from last year. I don't see them doing it again this year.

6/7. Central/Diboll - Flip a coin. No pitching, no hitting

8. Jasper - No idea but I would not expect much.

Reports are that Lacy Middlebrooks' surgery went well and her rehab should take 6-9 months. My math says her senior year is over, but I would never bet against this outstanding youngster. She is supposed to sign with Minnesota next month.

Sorry to hear about the senior year thing. Good news on the Minnesota thing.

Don't get me wrong, Thomas is a great pitcher, but there were a few times Rusk had girls in position to score and Huntington would make a few plays defensively... You have to understand too that Huntington was outstanding at the plate as well, and there is something to be said for losing some of the fire power they lost to graduation... I would expect the gap to narrow between the two programs....

Don't get me wrong, Thomas is a great pitcher, but there were a few times Rusk had girls in position to score and Huntington would make a few plays defensively... You have to understand too that Huntington was outstanding at the plate as well, and there is something to be said for losing some of the fire power they lost to graduation... I would expect the gap to narrow between the two programs....

I think Thomas has 6 straight shutouts against Rusk counting the playoffs 2 years ago. I don't remember the details of the games but it is a team game and defense does play a large roll. The whole infield except for Thomas will be new this year. As good as Thomas is she cannot "K" everyone so can the new girls make plays when they have to? Firepower will be lacking when you lose both the average and power hitters Huntington lost. Someone told me they hit over 20 HRs as a team.

Who did Rusk lose besides the Smith girl (Mclennon Jr. College signee)? Maybe the 3rd baseman as well. How will that hurt Rusk's offense? I know the pitcher is back as well as the twins (catcher and RF).

Should make for some 1-0 ball games.

District 19AA should end up being a battle. With 3 or 4 schools for sure getting new head coaches, along with Wodens run from last year should shapen up to be a fun district to watch. Dunno much about the Tyler area teams (Arp, Troup, Franklin, West Rusk?) but between Garrison, Central Heights, and Woden should be pretty interesting. Any other thoughts?

Reports are that Lacy Middlebrooks' surgery went well and her rehab should take 6-9 months. My math says her senior year is over, but I would never bet against this outstanding youngster. She is supposed to sign with Minnesota next month.

Does anyone know how her mental state is? I know from experience how bad it is to get injured and your hopes and dreams come crashing to an end. I hope she does well and transitions to another "passion" smoothly.