2008 US OPEN at Torrey Pines

Guest Huck

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think Tiger even realizes that he throws clubs and swears. He is sooo much of a zone, he is immune to what is around him. This is what makes him the man he is in a huge tournament. I'm an avid golfer. I do not throw clubs, but I do not play for millions of dollars. I think all of his actions are part of the fire in him.

Oh, he's aware of what goes on around him! I think he likes to show off his "stop in mid-swing" move because he hears a camera click or a shadow moves in front of him or a bird flys by. He's a showman. Don't EVER think he's not aware of his surroundings

So, Twisted, what you're basically saying is that the character of the man comes out when he's "in the zone."

Oh, okay.

Didn't say that. That is HIS way of being in the "zone". I have been in the zone playing golf before. It's hard to describe. Different people react differently. He's the greatest player in the world and I admire his dedication to perfection.

Guest bleeds
So, Twisted, what you're basically saying is that the character of the man comes out when he's "in the zone."

Oh, okay.

No, that's not he said at all.

Why is it so hard to understand the drive and ambition this man has to be his best, and when he is not his best, his frustration erupts?

With you assertion, you paint Tiger as a man with a violent character, but he has given no indication of that. In fact, he demonstrates quite the opposite.

Look at it this way, when you are driving a nail, and you hit your thumb, it is not unbelieveable that you would swear loudly and possibly throw the hammer down. Now, ampflify that about a million times. Let's say you're the best carpenter in the world, but due to an injury, you're bending nails right an left. Now imagine the frustration. You are not performing up to your potential, and regardless of what you try, you keep hitting your thumb. You know can do better. You have a client who expects the best, but yet it isn't working. You think you might swear and act demonstratively? Probably so.

Could your attack on Tiger be more related to your innate dislike for him, or others like him?

I would hope if I was a sponsor who gave him millions of dollars a year to play well while using my product, he would show enough intensity that I would have no questions to his determination to perfoum up to his potential. I would expect nothing less from a man as driven as Tiger.

There should be more fathers like you, OBTS. They are blessed. However, the students I teach are very impressionable and emulate the stars, superstars, and megastars.... All I have to do is watch how they dress and act - listen to how they talk.

The point in my original post is that I didn't like seeing Tiger act like a baby. That is what I would tell my children (if they were younger) and my grandchildren. I can't excuse him just because he's a great athlete, playing in a high-stakes tournament - not feeling well - hitting substandard shots, etc. In my eyes character is character; what goes into the heart, mind, soul, and body - comes out in actions and speech. All I did here on Smoaky was state my opinion.

No, that's not he said at all.

Why is it so hard to understand the drive and ambition this man has to be his best, and when he is not his best, his frustration erupts?

With you assertion, you paint Tiger as a man with a violent character, but he has given no indication of that. In fact, he demonstrates quite the opposite.

Look at it this way, when you are driving a nail, and you hit your thumb, it is not unbelieveable that you would swear loudly and possibly throw the hammer down. Now, ampflify that about a million times. Let's say you're the best carpenter in the world, but due to an injury, you're bending nails right an left. Now imagine the frustration. You are not performing up to your potential, and regardless of what you try, you keep hitting your thumb. You know can do better. You have a client who expects the best, but yet it isn't working. You think you might swear and act demonstratively? Probably so.

Could your attack on Tiger be more related to your innate dislike for him, or others like him?

I would hope if I was a sponsor who gave him millions of dollars a year to play well while using my product, he would show enough intensity that I would have no questions to his determination to perfoum up to his potential. I would expect nothing less from a man as driven as Tiger.

KUDOS Bleeds!!!! :notworthy:

Guest bleeds
Hey guys i am at work and so i cant watch the playoff, can anyone please update the situation during the day

Me too.

Tiger is up by 2 strokes after 7 holes. He is not grimacing in pain after every wood or long iron shot--they said he took some advil before the round today.

He really looks sharp today...very focused!

Guest bleeds
Tiger -1 and Rocco +1 after 7.

At the tee on 8 Tiger hit it over the green into the trap with a 7-iron. He had an 8-iron and backed away then changed clubs.

Did he show his character?

There should be more fathers like you, OBTS. They are blessed. However, I teach 7th and 8th graders, and they are very impressionable and emulate after the stars, superstars, and megastars.... All I have to do is watch how they dress and act - listen to how they talk.

The point in my original post is that I didn't like seeing Tiger act like a baby. That is what I would tell my children (if they were younger) and my grandchildren. I can't excuse him just because he's a great athlete, playing in a high-stakes tournament - not feeling well - hitting substandard shots, etc. In my eyes character is character; what goes into the heart, mind, soul, and body - comes out in actions and speech. All I did here on Smoaky was state my opinion.

I'm a teacher as well, so I totally understand what you are saying. Tiger hit 73 shots yesterday and he didn't throw his clubs after 71 of them. That's 97% character!!! Jesus is the only one batting 100%!!! :lol:

Tiger gave one back on 8 then Rocco bogeys 9 and 10 to put Tiger up 3.

18 Hole Playoff 
POS      PLAYER  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  OUT  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  IN  TOTAL  

Par              4  4  3  4  4  4  4  3  5  35    4   3   4   5   4   4   3   4   5   36   71  

+3   R. Mediate  5  4  2  4  5  4  4  3  6  37    5   3                    

+1     T. Woods  4  4  4  4  4  3  3  4  5  35    4   4