Is there a new open school District for Texarkana

I'm told players from Texas High are transferring to a 3A school in Texarkana that was a closed district last year. Is it true this school is now and open district? I personally know two of the students and they live in the TISD district and not in the other school district. One lives by me and has no plans to ever live in the other district. I herd he may use a relative's address but if the district is open now why he would have to. Can I move my kid over there too? What are the requirements and who do I ask? These are several of us who may move our kids when they get in the tenth or eleventh grade if it looks like they will not get to play or start at Texas High.

There is another player at Texas High leaving too. I understand he may actually move into the district, he is a senior.

I'm told they have a player from Hooks and one from Ashdown too but I do not know them personally and I do not know if they have transferred at this time or not.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm told players from Texas High are transferring to a 3A school in Texarkana that was a closed district last year. Is it true this school is now and open district? I personally know two of the students and they live in the TISD district and not in the other school district. One lives by me and has no plans to ever live in the other district. I herd he may use a relative's address but if the district is open now why he would have to. Can I move my kid over there too? What are the requirements and who do I ask? These are several of us who may move our kids when they get in the tenth or eleventh grade if it looks like they will not get to play or start at Texas High.

There is another player at Texas High leaving too. I understand he may actually move into the district, he is a senior.

I'm told they have a player from Hooks and one from Ashdown too but I do not know them personally and I do not know if they have transferred at this time or not.

Transfer students have to sit out a year. They can play JV but not Varsity. However if you live in the school district i believe you have to wait two weeks to play Varsity.

If the kids want to play for PG next year, they need to move into the district. Otherwise, they have to play JV for a year. If they move into the district, Texas High has to sign the form about moving for athletic reasons.

If that one kid uses a false address and plays, the entire season would be in danger of forfeiture. Please refer to South Oak Cliffs 2006 championship being revoked because of an ineligible player. FW Dunbar officially won 2-0 for the state title. What a shame.

Maybe it's just open for a few? I wonder if that school is treading on thin ice. There are some long time powers in that Texarkana area that might not be too happy with them jumping into the deep end of that pool...with them. This could be fun to watch. It is my understanding, straightshooter, that you cant change school districts for athletic purposes. If they are living with cousins or aunts or whatever, then there should be paperwork filed showing guardianship.

I would hate to think my old school is up to doing things the rest of the schools in T Town have been doing for some time now. At least the other schools in town have an open district and although it may not be right, this sort of thing is allowed and is within their rules, I think. We are supposed to have a closed district. It's one thing some people have come from towns nearby into our district, but if they are now coming from within the same city under false pretenses the flood gates will open. Where will it stop? I have to believe this will not be allowed to happen.

Football, track and baseball for the one's I know. You sure the district is closed? I know this one kid for sure is not moving. Can I will just say my kid is staying with my cousin over there if I decide to move him and the district is really closed.

lions and tigers and bears OH MY!!!!

Even if you live with cousins the school district does not have to let the kid in to school, they are still transfer students. It all depends on where the legal guardian lives. If the kid is living with cousins or friends he will have to sit a year out and play JV.

Had kids in our school try that and they got the boot from our school district. We take transfers, but if you are going to lie about where you live, we don't want you.

I don't know what's going on with this topic but the PG district is a closed district. You cannot transfer in. You must live in the district and the UIL forbids transferring for athletic reasons. You cannot pay tuition and go to PG if you live outside the district. You cannot sign your child over to someone just so they can play sports in this district or to go to school in this district. The last two board members who were just elected did run on a closed district platform.

I don't know what's going on with this topic but the PG district is a closed district. You cannot transfer in. You must live in the district and the UIL forbids transferring for athletic reasons. You cannot pay tuition and go to PG if you live outside the district. You cannot sign your child over to someone just so they can play sports in this district or to go to school in this district. The last two board members who were just elected did run on a closed district platform.

POINT: The UIL forbids the practice of transferring for athletic reasons but they hardly ever do anything about it and they allow it. Example: Athlete from Canton transferring to Gilmer.

Unless PG has significant annual student growth, the decision to become an "open" district may become purely financial. With the way that school finance is structured only increased student population or a tax rollback election allows a district to increase their funding. I do not know whether this district has opened their system to transfers but I imagine that the issue of allowing transfers will have to be considerd in the future as the ability to make ends meet gets tougher.

With this being said, I believe that a transfer student would not be eligible for varsity level competition for one calendar year. If the student establishes residency prior to the beginning of the school year then they are eligible but residency established after the start of school requires a waiting period of 14 days.

This process will require the PPF to be completed by the former school. A check of the box indicating a move for athletic reasons will require UIL action at the District and/or State levels to be alleviated. Once these levels are required the process seems to become very unpredictable.

All fathers have a great fathers day. Try to relax and enjoy your children.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the nature of high school sports these days. For years, if a kid couldn't play at T-High, he headed to a neighboring school. I hate the fact that people want to throw up the SOC situation. This is a prime example of someone getting caught doing something that the majority of the high schools do. I know, I know, everyone is going to sing this song, "that type of stuff doesn't happen at MY High School," tell that to someone else. And if the two kids left to pursue an athletic opportunity at another school, doesn't that leave an open position for your son. My point is, move-in and transfers are going to happen every year. Just ride with it.

POINT: The UIL forbids the practice of transferring for athletic reasons but they hardly ever do anything about it and they allow it. Example: Athlete from Canton transferring to Gilmer.

the uil could do a better job in these instances and not just taking some coach's word for it when families move.

Guest bleeds

Don't ever believe just because a district is a closed district, certain accomodations won't be made at the behest of the superintendent, et al.

Guest bleeds
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the nature of high school sports these days. For years, if a kid couldn't play at T-High, he headed to a neighboring school. I hate the fact that people want to throw up the SOC situation. This is a prime example of someone getting caught doing something that the majority of the high schools do. I know, I know, everyone is going to sing this song, "that type of stuff doesn't happen at MY High School," tell that to someone else. And if the two kids left to pursue an athletic opportunity at another school, doesn't that leave an open position for your son. My point is, move-in and transfers are going to happen every year. Just ride with it.

My, what a great lesson to teach your kid. "Cheating's okay kids! Everyone does it! Let's do it too!"

I understand people legitimately move all the time. Those who come the right way are welcome. There are certain rules and criteria those who move must follow in order to legally be granted access to attend a closed school districts or any district that requires residency, and to participate in UIL activities. Failure to follow these rules is cheating. That is what's being discussed here. As a lifelong resident of this school district we have always proudly stood above this sort of behavior. We have always been able to stand tall, poke our chest out and say we have done things the right way. We may not have always been successful but at least we have been honest. When I played ball here, we had no players of question. Now I understand there are 5 players or potential players. What a disappointment. If you lie about your residence you have violated the rules. That is not something we should accept. I agree with Bleeds! What are we teaching our kids, it is ok to cheat as long as you can get away with it and as long as you win? I have hear and read in the papers, there are certain situations where you may skirt the law and technically or break it, but break the spirit of the law. Those people are often found guilty for breaking the spirit of t he law and judgments were rendered against them.

Some people may not realize but PG has won before, this was not our first year. We have won more district titles since our establishment in 1986 than LE or any school in our district except maybe Atlanta. We have won bi-district titles, Area titles, and have played for regional titles winning in baseball but not football. We have played in 4 regional championship games in baseball and have played for state titles in baseball twice. Also, we have won regionally in power lifting. We have won state metals in various things too. We have had more winning seasons in Football than losing seasons too. Chemistry is very important to a team. We have always had it at PG, that is why we sometimes beats teams who may have more talent. What kind of chemistry do you think there will be when the players who have followed the rules are replaced by cheaters. How hard will they block for the illegal players who have stolen their opportunity. They will stop coming out for sports and when the cheaters go away there will be no participation or program. The cheaters will leave as soon as the team starts losing.

We do not need to break rules to win. If you come, come honestly, if not stay where you are or go someplace else.

Don't worry, the message you are sending has been getting louder and clearer the past decade or so. Do what you want, don't worry how it impacts others, as long as it makes me happy and gets me what I want it should be ok. It happens everywhere, you are right, but if those that have moral standards that don't want to accept that kind of mindset continue to make their voice heard, the win at all cost will begin to fade and the joy of participation will get to be more prevalent.

The senior transferring is really puzzling. If someone is transferring their senior year, it's obvious they are transferring for athletic reasons. You can be anywhere in this town in 10 minutes. Even if someone moved a few miles away they could still be only 10 minutes from their old school that has an open campus. There is no other reason to change schools. At least they are buying a house in the district, but I still stick with my original statement.