To your Interpretation

DLine06

From part of an article I cut and pasted off AOL

WASHINGTON (June 14) - Retired Gen. Colin Powell, who became the country's first black secretary of state under President George W. Bush, said he will not necessarily vote for the Republican in this year's presidential race.

Powell's views are reflective of many other prominent black conservatives, who are thinking about supporting fellow African American Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

"I will vote for the individual I think that brings the best set of tools to the problems of 21st-century America and the 21st-century world regardless of party, regardless of anything else other than the most qualified candidate," Powell said Thursday in Vancouver in comments reported by The Globe and Mail in Toronto.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J.C. Watts, a former Oklahoma congressman who once was part of the GOP House leadership, said he's thinking of voting for Obama. Watts said he's still a Republican, but he criticizes his party for neglecting the black community. Black Republicans, he said, have to concede that while they might not agree with Democrats on issues, at least that party reaches out to them.

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/bla...6939x1200170892

There will also be democrats who won't be voting for Obama so my interpretation is that this means nothing....and if you really wanted to get picky, Powell didn't come out and say he's voting for Obama and honestly who here would actually be surprised if Powell did vote for Obama?? Not me.

From part of an article I cut and pasted off AOL

Powell's views are reflective of many other prominent black conservatives, who are thinking about supporting fellow African American Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

By definition, if one votes for Obama, one cannot be considered conservative.

Liberal and Conservative aren't groups of people, they're words, and words have meaning. You're dumbing conservatism down because a few formerly conservative people choose identity politics over substance.

Powell was never conservative, merely Republican. But to hear that about J.C.Watts, if true, is honestly saddening.

Guest bleeds

If in fact J.C. Watts did make those comments, it would be a complete separation from his conservative roots. I'm not saying he didn't make the comments, but why haven't we read/heard about them on other news agencies?

I'm skeptic.