Male priests marry in Anglican church's first gay 'wedding'

Guest bleeds

Guest bleeds

By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Religious Affairs Correspondent

An Anglican church has held a homosexual "wedding" for the first time in a move that will deepen the rift between liberals and traditionalists, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.

Two male priests exchanged vows and rings in a ceremony that was conducted using one of the church's most traditional wedding rites – a decision seen as blasphemous by conservatives.

The ceremony broke Church of England guidelines and was carried out last month in defiance of the Bishop of London, in whose diocese it took place. News of the "wedding" emerged days before a crucial summit of the Anglican Church's conservative bishops and archbishops, who are threatening to split the worldwide Church over the issue of homosexual clergy.

Although some liberal clergy have carried out "blessing ceremonies" for homosexual couples in the past, this is the first time a vicar has performed a "wedding ceremony", using a traditional marriage liturgy, with readings, hymns and a ­Eucharist.

Both the conservative and liberal wings of the Anglican communion expressed shock last night.

The Most Rev Henry Orombi, the Archbishop of Uganda, said that the ceremony was "blasphemous." He called on Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, to take decisive action if the Anglican Church were not to "disintegrate". Archbishop Orombi added: "What really shocks me is that this is happening in the Church of England that first brought the Gospel to us.

"The leadership tried to deny that this would happen, but now the truth is out. Our respect for the Church of England will erode unless we see a return to traditional teaching."

The Rt Rev Michael Scott-Joynt, the Bishop of Winchester – a powerful conservative figure – said that the service represented a wedding "in all but name". He said: "Strictly speaking it is not a marriage, but the language is clearly modelled on the marriage service and the occasion is modelled on the marriage service. This clearly flouts Church guidelines and will exacerbate divisions within the Anglican Communion."

The bishop said that it was up to the Rt Rev Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London, to act, adding that it would become a high-profile test case of Church authority.

"Can we stand for the clear teaching of the Church of England or are we powerless in the face of these actions, which I regret enormously have taken place," he said.

The service was held at St Bartholomew the Great in London – one of England's oldest churches, which featured in Four Weddings and a Funeral – and was conducted by the parish rector, the Rev Martin Dudley.

The couple, the Rev Peter Cowell, who is a cleric at one of the Queen's churches, and the Rev Dr David Lord, had registered their civil partnership before the ceremony.

Mr Dudley opened the service by saying: "Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God to join these men in a holy covenant of love and fidelity. Such a covenant shows us the mystery of the union between God and God's people and between Christ and the Church." In the vows, Mr Cowell and Dr Lord pledged to "hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part".

Mr Dudley blessed the union with the words: "As David and Jonathan's souls were knit together, so these men may surely perform and keep the vow and covenant betwixt them made."

Leading church figures expressed astonishment at the language and grandeur of the service, claiming that it was a highly provocative act. Although, the use of such a traditional ceremony does not constitute a marriage in the eyes of the law, Church figures on all sides said the event went further than any gay blessing ceremonies that had gone before.

The "marriage" will revive the war over homosexual clergy that has engulfed the Church since 2003 when Gene Robinson was made Bishop of New Hampshire and Jeffrey John, another gay cleric, who was about to become Bishop of Reading, was made to step down.

It is likely to embolden liberal clergy who have been reluctant to offer a full "wedding service" and will open the floodgates to other homosexuals who want a traditional ceremony.

Mr Dudley agreed to conduct the service despite Bishop Chartres warning that Church guidelines – drawn up when the Civil Partnerships Act was introduced – do not allow formal blessings of gay relationships. He argued that it was not a wedding but a blessing and that he was not "offering" blessing services, but responding to personal requests from friends. "I believe that marriage is a union between a man and a woman, but I see nothing wrong with blessing a couple who want to make a life-long commitment to one another."

A Church of England spokesman said: "Where clergy are approached by people asking for prayer in relation to entering into a civil partnership they should respond pastorally and sensitively in the light of the circumstances. But the House of Bishops affirmed that clergy should not provide services of blessing for those who register a civil partnership."

We have to assume when priests marry...each other, and ANYONE thinks it's okay, we as a society are in fact doomed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/213...dding'.html

Big WHO CARES. First people didn't like that they weren't allowed to own slaves, then they didn't like that women had rights, then they didn't like that minorities had rights, now they don't like that gays can marry. It'll blow over. Personally, I think we have much, MUCH larger issues than gay marriage. Public education, anyone?

Big WHO CARES. First people didn't like that they weren't allowed to own slaves, then they didn't like that women had rights, then they didn't like that minorities had rights, now they don't like that gays can marry. It'll blow over. Personally, I think we have much, MUCH larger issues than gay marriage. Public education, anyone?

Yes, becuase those that be running dat der edumacation in Austin be confused on whoms they should be with.

Yes, becuase those that be running dat der edumacation in Austin be confused on whoms they should be with.

That made absolutely no sense, nor was it relevant. I'm guessing that you know my argument makes sense, yet you refuse to admit it since your faith won't allow it, and you resort to the troll-like behavior. Bravo, sir.

There are always going to be more important issues then whatever issue is at hand. So, by your argument, there is only one issue that we should worry about. I also assume that you have appointed yourself as the "issue importance guru" so we must leave it up to you as to what issues we are allowed to concern ourselves with. Please make a list as to what I am allowed to look at as important. Let me know when that list is ready so I may be able to think on my own again.

There are always going to be more important issues then whatever issue is at hand. So, by your argument, there is only one issue that we should worry about. I also assume that you have appointed yourself as the "issue importance guru" so we must leave it up to you as to what issues we are allowed to concern ourselves with. Please make a list as to what I am allowed to look at as important. Let me know when that list is ready so I may be able to think on my own again.

WOW, really? Really? Wow...

By my argument, we should focus on things that are actually hurting society first, then we can move on to whatever we like. But you're right, Americans falling behind in competitiveness on the global scale isn't important, just as the economy, social programs, and government corruption are not. What's really hurting us is gay marriage. It so deeply wounds America; I don't even know where to begin. Seriously, I have no idea where to begin because I can't think of how it's hurting anyone. Someone, please, ANYONE, give me legitimate reasons other than "the bible says it's bad" as to how gay marriage is hurting society.

By my argument, we should focus on things that are actually hurting society first, Maybe like gay marriage? then we can move on to whatever we like. But you're right, Americans falling behind in competitiveness on the global scale isn't important, just as the economy, social programs, and government corruption are not Yes, but when us old fashioned folk bring up morals absolutes, thier always is a cry saying morals do not matter and the lack of morals leads us to corruption, lack of competitiveness and no heart for our fellow man. What's really hurting us is gay marriage. It so deeply wounds America; I don't even know where to begin. Seriously, I have no idea where to begin because I can't think of how it's hurting anyone. Someone, please, ANYONE, give me legitimate reasons other than "the bible says it's bad" as to how gay marriage is hurting society. Can you show us were it is helping, becuase #### sexuality (just like any and all sexual perversions) hurts the family unit and any productive society has to have a good family base. The need for the young of our society to feel protection, I mean all sexual perversion hurts children, becuase they are the most vaunerable. And by the way the passage in The Bible (the part that condemns you), you know The Word of God is found in Romans 1: 18-32.

But forgiveness can be yours please read John 3:16-17 or all of chapter 3.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosever believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son to condemn the world but that thru His Son the world may be saved.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the legal divorce of a heterosexual man and a heterosexual woman that have children together is more harmful to the family unit than homosexuality. Is divorce a form of this "sexual perversion" of which you speak? We should have to abolish divorce if we have to abolish gay marriage. We have to protect the children, right?

tbaehr2.gifTBaehr.jpgheader_exclu_comm.gif'Gay' paradise never found
Posted: June 21, 2008
1:00 am Eastern

© 2008 </FONT>

Every day the major newspapers have heartrending stories about attractive homosexual couples who waited years to be deemed married by the state that in reality can't sanctify anything as sacred. At the same time, deep within today's newspapers are tragic stories such as the recent report of women in the Gay Pride Parade in Boston who had cut their own bodies to become more like men and the continuing Los Angeles Times story about the two lesbians in California who tortured their young son in unmentionable ways.

Not too long ago, these people would be seen as human beings who needed help or intervention. Now, their lifestyle and their self-mutilations are defended as a civil right.

What no one is mentioning, however, is that their gripe is not with the state for withholding or granting temporarily the bogus marriage certificates that signify nothing. It is almost a foregone conclusion that a piece of paper telling them that they're married will not make them happy, nor will any of the other steps on their desperate climb to find paradise. The real issue is that they're searching for happiness in all the wrong places: the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life.

In fact, recent studies have shown that homosexual males and lesbians have more physical and mental illnesses, and lower life spans, than heterosexuals.

(Column continues below)

http://ads.worldnetdaily.com/admin/ads/ban...domNumber=22255

For example, a study of clinics in Baltimore revealed that homosexual males contract syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease, at three to four times the rate of their heterosexual counterparts. Even lesbians are at higher risks for STDs and other health problems than heterosexuals.

Furthermore, a study by D. M. Fergusson and other researchers, published in "Archives of General Psychiatry in 1999, found that 78.6 percent of homosexuals compared to only 38.2 percent of heterosexuals had two or more mental disorders. Also, 71.4 percent of homosexuals experience major depression compared to 38.2 percent of heterosexuals. Sixty-seven percent of homosexuals reported suicidal ideation compared to 28 percent of heterosexuals. And, 32.1 percent of homosexuals actually reported a suicide attempt compared to 7.1 percent of heterosexuals.

Contrary to the propaganda of most homosexual activists, a Dutch study by Theodorus G. M. Sandfort in the February 2003 issue of "Archives of Sexual Behavior" found that these mental health problems are not caused by the allegedly "homophobic" culture in which homosexuals often say they live. In fact, homosexual men in the Netherlands, arguably the most pro-homosexual nation in the Western world, reported to Sandfort that their general level of health and mental stability was less positive than heterosexuals, that emotional problems more often interfered with work or other daily activities, that physical health or emotional problems interfered with normal social activities, and that they felt less energetic.

Finally, some studies suggest that the life expectancy of people engaging in repeated homosexual acts is eight to 20 years less than their heterosexual counterparts.

The search for happiness among homosexuals (and many heterosexuals) in today's hedonistic society is premised on an age-old promise that you can be as a god and thus determine in your own short-lived brain what is good and what is evil. However, even when you taste one of the forbidden fruits, you realize the promise that the taste will bring true joy never really delivers, thus exposing the harsh reality that trying to act as a your own god who knows enough to make wise choices is in fact a hollow, intellectually self-mutilating delusion.

For those with some sincere wit and wisdom, the real issue will come down to who is God? Their pursuit of pleasure will lead to a growing battle with the real Almighty who is unassailable. And, the more they struggle in the quicksand of their own desires, the more they will stew in the juice of their own incapacity for happiness. The vast majority will sink. A few will realize that all they have to do is stop struggling and let the real God be God by accepting the love that He wants to give them through the Grace of Jesus Christ, who died and was resurrected to give each and every person on earth forgiveness, healing and eternal life.

That made absolutely no sense, nor was it relevant. I'm guessing that you know my argument makes sense, yet you refuse to admit it since your faith won't allow it, and you resort to the troll-like behavior. Bravo, sir.

So, you are saying that a Man marrying a Man or a Woman marrying

a Woman makes sense to you?

It sounds like the "born of woman(i.e. of water from above, not baptism)" have lost their way(i.e common sense).

Baptism, now that is another full discourse. LongStoryShort, Baptism is no longer required since

Paul received the Holy Spirit on the road to Damascus.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the legal divorce of a heterosexual man and a heterosexual woman that have children together is more harmful to the family unit than homosexuality. Is divorce a form of this "sexual perversion" of which you speak? We should have to abolish divorce if we have to abolish gay marriage. We have to protect the children, right?

Yes, divorce is not a good thing, it does hurt the family unit,a lot of times divorce is caused by sexual perversion of some sort and trying to justify your wrong by pointing out another wrong does not make your wrong right.

By the way if read the bolded part of the article by Baehr you will find some more reasons why homosexual activity is not right.

By my argument, we should focus on things that are actually hurting society first, then we can move on to whatever we like. But you're right, Americans falling behind in competitiveness on the global scale isn't important, just as the economy, social programs, and government corruption are not. What's really hurting us is gay marriage. It so deeply wounds America; I don't even know where to begin. Seriously, I have no idea where to begin because I can't think of how it's hurting anyone. Someone, please, ANYONE, give me legitimate reasons other than "the bible says it's bad" as to how gay marriage is hurting society.

Aids

Guest bleeds

How about public education that gay marriage is wrong?

The destruction of a people's morals is the fastest way to to a societal shutdown. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that. It takes thinking and reasoning, not passion and impulse.