Whitehouse Basketball Coaching Search Update (June 18th)...

Smoaky

KTBB Sports and Smoaky.com has learned athletic director Randy McFarlin is down to three finalists to become the boys basketball coach at Whitehouse High School.

McFarlin confirmed he's interviewed two of the three finalists, including Bullard's Ryan Tomlin, and Jonathan Hopkins of Mount Pleasant. McFarlin said his third finalist, Tatum's Brett Carr would be interviewed on Tuesday of next week.

A replacement for Wally Dawkins should be announced by next week. Dawkins resigned in late-May to become the head coach at Brook Hill School.

David Smoak

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey The Spirit.. Do these three qualified men meet your requirements or do they know what a first down is? Apparently you say a good bball coach has to know nothing about football. So are these goods choices in your expert opinion? Its going to be hard to get them to leave their d-line coaching job...hehe

Can anyone post some stats (overall record and season records, etc) for these coaches?

Tomlin is a great coach, mentor and a awesome human being. He has spent the last several years here in Bullard building what could be a championship caliber team. He knows what he has here. In WH, they always put a quality team on the floor, but I think it would take time to get his type of basketball instilled into that program. If it's the $$, Bullard needs to pony up the dough, Tomlin is worth it!!!! What I'm saying why start over teaching, when you could just fire up the squad and put them on cruise.

Jonathan Hopkins

This from http://www.dailytribune.net/articles/2007/...4/sports/02.txt

"Hopkins said his basketball philosophy was shaped by two of his former colleagues in Kansas head coach Bill Self and Scott Sutton of Oral Roberts University. He worked on their staffs before joining the high school coaching ranks."

====================================================================

Coached two D1 players at Katy Taylor.

Corbin Ray (http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18331796&BRD=1574&PAG=461&dept_id=542864&rfi=8)

Dwight Lewis (http://www.dailytrojan.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_id=14a68aaa-7f33-4bf6-9a84-ed28403e5fd4)

And telegenic according to this KLTV story Many Switching to Motorcycles for Gas Economy

(This post is not intended as an endorsement of any of the candidates, as I don't have a dog in the hunt, nor do I know any of the nominees personally. Just posting what I found as most of us MidEastTex folks know about Carr & Tomlin). I do know Coach Mcfarlin, which is enough for me to trust his judgment. The coaching quality associated with the names of these finalists, as well as the other coaches that he talked to, should lay to rest any notion that Coach Mac only cares about football, but does his job as AD with the same attitude and diligence that he has demonstrated since coming to Whitehouse.)

How many applied for the job? Spirit.......will you be the first to break the news, now that you are out of town? I think Tomlin would be a great choice, but I think Carr might have the inside track......he is already used to not getting his players until late.

How many applied for the job? Spirit.......will you be the first to break the news, now that you are out of town? I think Tomlin would be a great choice, but I think Carr might have the inside track......he is already used to not getting his players until late.

i lot of Wh kids generally don't play FB.

Hey The Spirit.. Do these three qualified men meet your requirements or do they know what a first down is? Apparently you say a good bball coach has to know nothing about football. So are these goods choices in your expert opinion? Its going to be hard to get them to leave their d-line coaching job...hehe

Can anyone post some stats (overall record and season records, etc) for these coaches?

I bet they are great football guys. Why else would you coach in Whitehouse. It is a football powerhouse now days..

I will say this. I don't why Johnston backed out. I guess the money. And coach don't say you didn't. Anyways. :happy65: Glad you are still at Lee. :happy65:

Carr and Tomlin have been good basketball coaches in East Texas. :thumbsup: Hopkins don't know him. Except to say he does coach football in Mount Pleasant. Don't know about the other two's coaching assignment other then basketball.

My money is on Carr. I think Tomlin will turned it down if offered and Hopkins will go for it.

4-A regional team looking at 2 of the 3 being 2-a and 3-a coaches. Where are all of the big names and big search :hmm:

My BIG question is why has the basketball coaching stipend been lowered by 2000 dollars??????????????????????????????????????????//

Tomlin is a great coach, mentor and a awesome human being. He has spent the last several years here in Bullard building what could be a championship caliber team. He knows what he has here. In WH, they always put a quality team on the floor, but I think it would take time to get his type of basketball instilled into that program. If it's the $$, Bullard needs to pony up the dough, Tomlin is worth it!!!! What I'm saying why start over teaching, when you could just fire up the squad and put them on cruise.

What titles has he won? Besides maybe a district championship. Carr has taken a team to the big house in Austin....

They had 22 official applications, and let's just say, a "few others" who nibbled unofficially.

Smoaky

all great coaches. i think the frontrunner would be carr. great coach. Tomlin im surprised about as well as he has the potential of having a great 2 next years. Carr im not surprised to see his name in there. I watched tatum's summer league team today play against White Oak and they just dont have much..that senior class graduated last year and he wont have much to work with. unlike in his past seasons where talent and athleticism was everywhere. i hope Carr gets it. itd be well deserved.

The spirit-you have been wrong about everything else. Whay do you have against coach mcfarlin, why do you question the b-ball program all the time. you should apply for the job. Were you questining the football program when it was down in the dumps???

Looks like early next week some more dominos will fall. There will be another school looking for a coach next week.

Of those jobs which is the most tantalizing? :notworthy:

Don't know anything about Mt. Pleasant, but Bullard should be really solid for the next 2 years. After that though, not sure how much is there. But with the area growing like it is, you never know.

Don't know anything about Mt. Pleasant, but Bullard should be really solid for the next 2 years. After that though, not sure how much is there. But with the area growing like it is, you never know.

You are correct 3j's....bullard will be pretty salty the next few years.