Whitehouse Basketball Coaching Search Update (June 18th)...

Smoaky

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My BIG question is why has the basketball coaching stipend been lowered by 2000 dollars??????????????????????????????????????????//

Well, 'The Spirit' has driven me to register and comment on the forum, something, btw, I vowed I'd never do. About the aforementioned quote, I don't know how accurate that statement is (considering the source, probably less than accurate), but I do know that IF there is truth to it, 'The Spirit' is not even remotely aware of all the facts contributing to the situation. I think we can all agree on that.

I just want to ask 'the Spirit', what is your goal? We all know your feelings about Coach McFarlin. But what is your ultimate purpose for perpetuating this coach bashing? Is it for your own ego on the board? (We all know that's taken a hit lately.) Is it for your own entertainment? (If it is, that's selfish, get a life.) At this point, I just don't get it. I thought you'd be humbly accepting your crow at this point, but you're not.

Here's my perspective on both coaches. All great coaches have a number of shared attributes and a number of unique attributes, as well. Coach Dawkins and Coach McFarlin are no different. One of these is an ego. Yes, an ego. It is needed in dealing with parents, media, being a staff leader, and in getting your players to buy in to what you're doing. It's no secret that these two men have egos and that have clashed from time to time. However, they also share another attribute: they care about kids and put that ahead of their ego. Which is more than I can say for you 'the Spirit'. Because if you put kids in front of your own ego, you would know that Coach McFarlin, by turning around Whitehouse football, has given kids, that wouldn't have otherwise, the chance to play at the next level and more importantly, get a free, or at least discounted, college education. And that is just one of the things kids have gotten from his service. And, you can make the same case for Coach Dawkins, and I would say the same thing to those who get on here and bash him.

I guess you've noticed that when you bash Coach McFarlin, you are often criticized by adults, yes, but often times kids who are coming to his defense and who are upset. Who's the adult?? Let it go.

Well welcome to SDC "The Rook"....1st of all i know that your post was not directed to me and i do not want to get into an argument with you but looks like you know a little bit about the situation so let me run this by you.

I know Mcfarland is turning that football program around and i think that is great but by doing that is he turning down the other sports?

I know i am not from w-house and honestly i really dont care about the situation in w-house unless Tomlin is the coach there but i do not agree with an AD doing everything he can for the football team and not helping out other sports and the coaches that coach that sports. I know football is king in texas and thats fine with me, i love football and i was a 4 year letterman at bullard but i also was a 4 year letterman in basketball and love it just as much as i love f-ball. All i am saying is an AD is an Athletic Director, not a football director, not a baseball or football director, So he should put all his time and energy into the other sports and if an AD does not do that then he should not be an AD....just a coach.

Now i am not saying that Mcfarlin is doing that but i was just wondering if you have heard of him favoring one sport more than the other. because i have.

This is all hilarious to me. I don't intend to be negative towards anyone in this post. I was wrong to do it the first few times I posted.

I will say this. You guys that say The Spirit! doesn't know his facts... you guys don't know your facts. Not even smoaky releases everything he knows because it's in other people's best interest.

Now, is Spirit always right in his assumptions and his predictions? No. Is all his information 100% accurate? No. But he has plenty of facts. Just like people saying Tomlin didn't apply based on their information, sometimes Spirit gets bad information. But I'd say more times than not he gets pretty good information.

This is the ultimate read between the lines situation and some of you people can't even read black and white so I don't expect you to understand what's in front of your faces.

It's funny how defensive some people get and how certain people jump to certain people's defense. True colors get shown in little ways.

The Spirit will say things as jokes and everybody is so on edge they can't even understand the humor. Just kind of shows the tension built up in the Whitehouse area I guess.

That being said good luck to all Whitehouse Athletic programs from top to bottom. I hope all this gets smoothed over soon so we can move forward.

Two predictions: 1. Carr will be the new basketball coach 2. The tension in Whitehouse will not be alleviated and it will have nothing to do with coach McFarlin. He is not at the root of most of these issues that people think he is. He's just an easy scape-goat. I'd recommend everyone talk to a teacher at Whitehouse ISD and let them air their frustrations. Then maybe we can get to the real bottom of everything that's happening here.

First of all, I will apologize at the vent, but I kept it shorter than what has been built up. I mean c'mon, it was my first post :rolleyes: . Secondly, I am not bent out of shape about Whitehouse athletics. Who would be, it's looking very good, across the board. I was just bent out of shape about (not just the Spirit's) negativity toward McFarlin (and btw it's spelled M-c-F-a-r-l-i-n :thumbsup: ). I am not going to buy the "one-sport AD" bit until you can make the argument by looking at wins and losses of all the sports programs @ Whitehouse. The athletic program as a whole has had the most success in history under McFarlin's helm and it looks like it's only getting brighter. Oh, I've heard all of the other reasons of success..."better athletes"...etc., and we can all speculate about these reasons. But, the one black and white fact in evaluating success is...ready for this...winning.

Look, I'm just tired of all the fine-tooth-comb whining and bickering about this and that. And, I know that's part of being a coach--dealing with, or ignoring the critics. Coaches are never going to make everyone, including parents, happy. If he is depleting other programs, it'll show up at some point. If that happens, I'll give credit to your argument. Until then, I feel like its just "one sport vs. one sport" mentality. And my only big beef is, when you do that, you put kids right in the middle of it. And, that's the only thing that upsets me and goes completely against my philosophy.

That being said, I'm not an uptight or grumpy guy. I think you'll all find that out more as I post in the future. In fact I'm very happy, I'm a Whitehouse Wildcat fan. And, right now, it's good to be a Whitehouse Wildcat.

P.S. You guys are in trouble, I've got emoticons, and I'm not afraid to use them! ;)

This is not meant to bash anyone. I think Coach Carr and Coach Tompkins are two very fine coaches

in their own right. I don't know anything about the coach from Mount Pleasant. You will remember that

I said whoever takes the job will come from a lower classification school......looking to move up. No

established 4A or 5A coach based on the criteria would consider it! It still does not solve the problem

of moving the basketball program past the metroplex to Austin. None have been battle tested in that arena?

They however will continue to win big in district and non-district until it comes time to get over that hump.

No matter how good you look up here in East Texas, you don't know what you've got until you drive it

through the metroplex. Wally took a little bite out of that on his non district schedule this past season, did

well, and had his best season ever. hopefully the new guy will take a BIG BITE on his schedule if wants to

get over the hump!

Well, 'The Spirit' has driven me to register and comment on the forum, something, btw, I vowed I'd never do. About the aforementioned quote, I don't know how accurate that statement is (considering the source, probably less than accurate), but I do know that IF there is truth to it, 'The Spirit' is not even remotely aware of all the facts contributing to the situation. I think we can all agree on that.

I just want to ask 'the Spirit', what is your goal? We all know your feelings about Coach McFarlin. But what is your ultimate purpose for perpetuating this coach bashing? Is it for your own ego on the board? (We all know that's taken a hit lately.) Is it for your own entertainment? (If it is, that's selfish, get a life.) At this point, I just don't get it. I thought you'd be humbly accepting your crow at this point, but you're not.

Here's my perspective on both coaches. All great coaches have a number of shared attributes and a number of unique attributes, as well. Coach Dawkins and Coach McFarlin are no different. One of these is an ego. Yes, an ego. It is needed in dealing with parents, media, being a staff leader, and in getting your players to buy in to what you're doing. It's no secret that these two men have egos and that have clashed from time to time. However, they also share another attribute: they care about kids and put that ahead of their ego. Which is more than I can say for you 'the Spirit'. Because if you put kids in front of your own ego, you would know that Coach McFarlin, by turning around Whitehouse football, has given kids, that wouldn't have otherwise, the chance to play at the next level and more importantly, get a free, or at least discounted, college education. And that is just one of the things kids have gotten from his service. And, you can make the same case for Coach Dawkins, and I would say the same thing to those who get on here and bash him.

HOW CAN THIS GUY BE ABLEE TO BASH ME. I HAVE BASHED NOONE IN THIS WH BASKETBALL DEAL???????????? IF THIS HAD BEEN ME IT WOULD BE REMOVED AND I WOULD BE SHUT DOWN.......... :bangin:

I guess you've noticed that when you bash Coach McFarlin, you are often criticized by adults, yes, but often times kids who are coming to his defense and who are upset. Who's the adult?? Let it go.

This is not meant to bash anyone. I think Coach Carr and Coach Tompkins are two very fine coaches

in their own right. I don't know anything about the coach from Mount Pleasant. You will remember that

I said whoever takes the job will come from a lower classification school......looking to move up. No

established 4A or 5A coach based on the criteria would consider it! It still does not solve the problem

of moving the basketball program past the metroplex to Austin. None have been battle tested in that arena?

They however will continue to win big in district and non-district until it comes time to get over that hump.

No matter how good you look up here in East Texas, you don't know what you've got until you drive it

through the metroplex. Wally took a little bite out of that on his non district schedule this past season, did

well, and had his best season ever. hopefully the new guy will take a BIG BITE on his schedule if wants to

get over the hump!

You go Coach Love. Tell it like it is. Coach Love for president and wise thinker of the year... :notworthy:

I agree with Love, the metroplex is a different level. They are also battle tested with the schedule they play. While in Greenville we had some decent teams and went a few rounds. But when you run up against the Dallas teams it was pretty tough. I was a part many playoff games against them. Lincoln twice, Highland Park, Kimball, Seagoville and Hutch (in 4A). Very, Very tough. I don't know to much, but I do know that the road to Austin in Region 2 - 4A goes through Dallas. Now with that being said, I do believe that someone else could get out . They would just have to be pretty bad a_ _ . I would also love to see that happen.

i believe that there are alot of people in the Tatum that are just finding out the Carr had even applied for this job, myself included.

as a "friend" of his i was unaware of this, but do know that he has been in China the last two weeks, and will be in Georgetown, TX on tuesday at TABC camp.

as far as the "no talent" or "lack of talent" coming up he was and is at TABC camp with most of his varsity team right now.

for those who know the Tatum athletic program, you would know the last true Baketball player at Tatum was Harrison Hartt, who was surrounded by some very "gifted atheletes" who were not necessarilly hoops players.

i for one hope this is all just rumor, carr is a great coach and friend who would be dearly missed!

in the event brett accepts this job, it will definately push Tatum basketball program backwards quite a bit.

there are those in the Tatum community that have not always agreed with his decisions, but he is repsonsible for making the current program, and the upcoming kids who they are.

football rules in Tatum, no doubt, however there a some eager, willing, and capable young ones not far out of high school that will truely miss him should he leave!

Guest imyahuckleberry
Just wondering if Ron Hanks applied for the job. Anyone know?

Found the answer myself. He did call to inquire about the job but wasn't called back.

Here's a former WH grad whose family's roots go back nearly as far as WH itself. His grandfather, Acker spent 30 plus years as an educator and principal in the WISD. He has served as mayor and councilman for the city. He has streets named after him and his family. His father, Terry has a successful business in WH along with Ron's brother Dee.

Ron's been a success at every school he's coached. He knows and has been apart of the tradition of WH BB.

Why wouldn't he at least get a "returned call" or a interview along with these other canidates?

If, Wh doesn't pick Tomlin, i think they make a mistake. nothing against the other 2. tomlin is "Young and Hungry" This could be a make or break decision. just my 2 cents.

i do not think whitehouse basketball is going under if they do not hire a guy with 4 years of varsity experience that has yet to take a team past regionals in spite of being loaded with talent.

i do not think whitehouse basketball is going under if they do not hire a guy with 4 years of varsity experience that has yet to take a team past regionals in spite of being loaded with talent.

i don't think they would go under, but Tomlin's record at Bullard speaks for itself. It didn't help him any when the 3a player of the year went down in the regional semi's with an ankle injury and was unable to play in the finals. Seems like he has already gone as far or further than who he could be replacing.

i don't think they would go under, but Tomlin's record at Bullard speaks for itself. It didn't help him any when the 3a player of the year went down in the regional semi's with an ankle injury and was unable to play in the finals. Seems like he has already gone as far or further than who he could be replacing.

We can make all of the excuses we want. With most every coach.

All three will do well at WH. They already have a great program and it will be good for years to come I hope. :blink:

The spirit-you have been wrong about everything else. Whay do you have against coach mcfarlin, why do you question the b-ball program all the time. you should apply for the job. Were you questining the football program when it was down in the dumps???

Hey (rookie the-UN-chosen1) I did apply. Could not get a reply back. Wonder why?

:rolleyes:

So, a regional final berth in four years isn't a good ratio? Bullard won that regional semifinal game without one of the state's best 3A players and had a shot to take the lead late in the regional final against Roosevelt.

Young coaches are in much higher positions than Tomlin, and he's a great choice. But I wouldn't be surprised if he turned down the offer if he was offered, and I wouldn't be surprised if he went.

I might be wrong here ( don't think so) but you can't quite compare what Coach Carr or Coach Tomlin has done at 2A and 3A programs vs what Wally has done at Whitehouse. At the same time, you can't say that they will go furthur into the playoffs with Whitehouse than Wally did. Once you are through playing district in East Texas and then you have to venture into the D/FW Metroplex, it's a whole new game. There is 10 times the talent in Dallas as there is in East Texas. It is not a knock on East Texas high school basketball either. It should not be a knock on Wally Dawkins for having trouble getting past the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs either. The fact that Whitehouse nearly (SHOULD HAVE) beaten South Oak Cliff says alot about the type of kids that played at Whitehouse and the type of coach that Wally is.

Coach McFarlin has done a fantastic job in his duties at Whitehouse and I am confident that he will choose the best person to begin a new chapter in Whitehouse basketball. The three gentlemen are fantastic coaches and the kids love them to death. What's more, they are class acts, on the floor and off. Those of you running McFarlin into the ground need to just take a pause and give the man a chance to do his job. Perhaps you will see that the world did not end whem Nix retired and Wally Dawkins arrived. Well, the earth will not stop turning just because Wally is no longer there and a new coach will arrive and begin his own legacy in Whitehouse basketball.

I agree with Love, the metroplex is a different level. They are also battle tested with the schedule they play. While in Greenville we had some decent teams and went a few rounds. But when you run up against the Dallas teams it was pretty tough. I was a part many playoff games against them. Lincoln twice, Highland Park, Kimball, Seagoville and Hutch (in 4A). Very, Very tough. I don't know to much, but I do know that the road to Austin in Region 2 - 4A goes through Dallas. Now with that being said, I do believe that someone else could get out . They would just have to be pretty bad a_ _ . I would also love to see that happen.

Anybody, when was the last time a team from East Texas 4-A or 5-A mad it to Austin?