Whats your best RB- Tandem in your school History?

dentondude

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that much more "old timers" from Hallsville may trump me on this one but I suggest Sean Taylor and Sedanio Brown from the late '90's. Taylor was the tailback with Sedanio being the fullback. If my memory is correct Taylor went on to play at Abiline Christian U. where he was a standout linebacker. I think that Brown went the JUCO route. I thought that Brown was D1 material. A third member of that same backfield was Deke Dillard at QB who could go the distance at anytime as well. He initially went to the Air Force Acadamy to play ball.

In the late '70's or early '80's there was Raymond Byrd at fullback with Gary Jones at tailback. I believe that Jones went on to play at La. Tech.

I would also select Gregg McNeal at tailback and Randy Clark at fullback. I think that they played together in the early to mid '70's.

I'm biased but I would put a few of Daingerfield's combinations against anyones.

Early to mid 80's -- Tony Evans and Gene Rowe

Johnny Hurndon & David Whitmore

Late 80's David Mims & Johnny King

Johnny Morrow & Johnny King

Also Pewitt had a tandem that both pulled 2,000 yards in 93 but I can't remember their names.

There we go with them Tatum posters. :notworthy:

How are you going to ask a question and then rag on somebody that puts their opinion?

BTW, Horton and Centers was the first to come to mind, probably because both went pro with Centers getting a SB ring.

The James bros were probably the best tandem. Jerry held some records dating back to the '70s there were just recently broken by Lennon Creer. Hodge and Smith were good as well with Smith going pro.

I am sure that much more "old timers" from Hallsville may trump me on this one but I suggest Sean Taylor and Sedanio Brown from the late '90's. Taylor was the tailback with Sedanio being the fullback. If my memory is correct Taylor went on to play at Abiline Christian U. where he was a standout linebacker. I think that Brown went the JUCO route. I thought that Brown was D1 material. A third member of that same backfield was Deke Dillard at QB who could go the distance at anytime as well. He initially went to the Air Force Acadamy to play ball.

In the late '70's or early '80's there was Raymond Byrd at fullback with Gary Jones at tailback. I believe that Jones went on to play at La. Tech.

I would also select Gregg McNeal at tailback and Randy Clark at fullback. I think that they played together in the early to mid '70's.

Don't forget Kendrick Muckelroy was also a part of that team with Taylor, Brown, Dillard. They had 4 guys that were good runners and each had a different style. I think Kendrick also went to ACU.

Don't forget Kendrick Muckelroy was also a part of that team with Taylor, Brown, Dillard. They had 4 guys that were good runners and each had a different style. I think Kendrick also went to ACU.

I guess why I forgot about Muckelroy was that he was under utilized as a RB. He could change directions while in mid-air! Fast. Strong. What a phenomenal athlete. He should be playing on Sundays. But....In my opinion he was better than his brother who is currently at UT. Do not get me wrong. I believe that Roddrick is a fantastic LB but I just think that Kendrick was a better all-around football player.

I am not sure of the names but the two backs that played in the state tittle game from troup. They carried the entire load that year. I don't think that Bo steele threw more than 25 passes the hole year. He may have but i know it wasn't nothing for those two to combine for 500 yds of offense in a game and Chris ran for over 400 yrds against Arp the next year. 458 i believe but don't qout me.

Carthage 91-Marland Bolton and Donnie Graves

This is the tandem I was going to list for my hometown. Those two on the field at the same time were awesome! Then we also had Johnny Bayless standing over there on the sidelines waiting his turn.

I think Bayless was probably the best running back to ever go through Carthage, but Kris Briggs was a beast as well. Boy, Carthage has had some true studs at running back in its football history. Then after that was a very good tandem who I would put number 2 behind the tandem of Bolton/Graves, which is Jamon Edwards and Boo Beecham a few years back. Then Jason Teague was on those teams with Edwards/Beecham waiting his turn.

I remember watching the Carthage/Spring Hill playoff game at Marshall where Edwards and Beecham dismantled Spring Hill's D and we took them out of the game trying run out the clock and not score anymore. Teague goes in and the first time he touches the ball he went 55 yards right up the gut for a TD to make the score 63-not that much.

Teague was the defensive player of the year in 3A his senior season and committed to LSU out of high school, but didn't make the grades to qualify. He went to TJC, and this past offseason committed to TCU where he'll play DB with Tatum's Stephen Hodge.