Texas High School Orders Prison Jumpsuits for Offenders of Dress Code

fballer24

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that make them better teachers or flood the hiring pool with people there for the money rather than the desire to teach, ability to teach, and determination to teach?

Well, the highest quality of education right now is where the most money in education is which is colleges and universities and a select few private schools and academies.

Guest bleeds
Well, the highest quality of education right now is where the most money in education is which is colleges and universities and a select few private schools and academies.

Stats to back that assertion?

Stats to back that assertion?

According to a 2006-07 survey by the American Association of University Professors, salaries for full-time faculty averaged $73,207. By rank, the average was $98,974 for professors, $69,911 for associate professors, $58,662 for assistant professors, $42,609 for instructors, and $48,289 for lecturers. Faculty in 4-year institutions earn higher salaries, on average, than do those in 2-year schools. In 2006-07, faculty salaries averaged $84,249 in private independent institutions, $71,362 in public institutions, and $66,118 in religiously affiliated private colleges and universities.

Median annual earnings of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $43,580 to $48,690 in May 2006; the lowest 10 percent earned $28,590 to $33,070; the top 10 percent earned $67,490 to $76,100. Median earnings for preschool teachers were $22,680.

According to the American Federation of Teachers, beginning teachers with a bachelor’s degree earned an average of $31,753 in the 2004�05 school year. The estimated average salary of all public elementary and secondary school teachers in the 2004�05 school year was $47,602.

Guest bleeds

But you haven't shown how high salaries translate into higher levels of education. I've seen some of the #### that is spewing out of some of the universities in the US today.

There seems to be a misconception that throwing money at education will make it better. So far, our legislators have not been able to make that concept work.

But you haven't shown how high salaries translate into higher levels of education. I've seen some of the #### that is spewing out of some of the universities in the US today.

There seems to be a misconception that throwing money at education will make it better. So far, our legislators have not been able to make that concept work.

Bleeds, feel free to argue with a brick wall if you want. You haven't shown how the public education system is better than the universities. I have at least put stats up you on the other hand have only based your assessment based on your closed opinion.

Who has the more highly trained teachers, high schools or universities?

Guest bleeds
Bleeds, feel free to argue with a brick wall if you want. You haven't shown how the public education system is better than the universities. I have at least put stats up you on the other hand have only based your assessment based on your closed opinion.

Who has the more highly trained teachers, high schools or universities?

Why is it everytime I challenge someone on a comment, I am accused of arguing? I asked a question. Why so defensive?

I'm not arguing. But I am saying comparing primary and secondary education to the education obtained at a university is tantamount to comparing apples to oranges. I am also saying if you will restrict yourself to one level of education or the other, the amount of available money to a specific institution has nothing to do with the quality of education obtained at same.

speaking as someone who is currently in college i can tell you that my education here is far beyond anything i received while in public school

Guest bleeds

^

Read my post immediately prior to yours. I never said that a university education wasn't better than the one you received in high school.

This argument is completely unfounded! The public system will never be better than the university system. Just the same as the public system doesn't stack up with the private system.

In a public school, everyone there HAS to be there. In a private school (or university), people PAY to be there. They INVEST in their education. And if they act a fool or fail, they get their butt kicked out to face the real world!!! Of course these institutions are going to have better achievement data!

You are comparing a banana to a bicycle!

Why is it everytime I challenge someone on a comment, I am accused of arguing? I asked a question. Why so defensive?

I'm not arguing. But I am saying comparing primary and secondary education to the education obtained at a university is tantamount to comparing apples to oranges. I am also saying if you will restrict yourself to one level of education or the other, the amount of available money to a specific institution has nothing to do with the quality of education obtained at same.

Well I'm sorry if i seemed too defensive but IMO it has proven itself to be more often than not that the most talent, smartest or whatever other qualification you can think of seems to go towards where the money is rather than where there is a passion for something. Examples:

1. Education - Many teachers have been enticed away from public schools by private schools offering more money.

2. Sports - Happens ALL the time

3. Business - I'm sure you know at least one person who has been offered a higher salary to work for a different company and taken it

4. Entertainment - Why are so many people wanting to be actors/singers etc.? Money and fame

The list goes on and on...

Guest bleeds

No doubt money makes a difference, but I dare say there are window lickers graduating from Highland Park just like there are from Podunk High.

Plus, any comment on the comparison of public high school education to unversity education?

This argument is completely unfounded! The public system will never be better than the university system. Just the same as the public system doesn't stack up with the private system.

In a public school, everyone there HAS to be there. In a private school (or university), people PAY to be there. They INVEST in their education. And if they act a fool or fail, they get their butt kicked out to face the real world!!! Of course these institutions are going to have better achievement data!

You are comparing a banana to a bicycle!

Not everyone HAS to be there, there are other options such as homeschooling. The public school system could be upgraded to be closer to universities. There needs to be a change in prestige associated with teaching. Right now there are very few people who want to go into teaching because there is a low starting salary along with few benefits and not a whole lot of room for advancement. If all this was changed (the effect probably wouldn't be too immediate) people would want to go into teaching rather than _____ (fill in the blank of any job that offers higher salaries and better benefits)

No doubt money makes a difference, but I dare say there are window lickers graduating from Highland Park just like there are from Podunk High.

Plus, any comment on the comparison of public high school education to unversity education?

It's depressing that people seem to be so convinced things have to stay the way they are. Public high school could be in the same league as universities if people were willing to change.

Money doesn't show respect though. I'm a teacher. I'm happy with my pay. I knew when I selected education as a major that I was going to make $18,000 my first year. I'm in the business because I care about kids, I think I do a good job, and I'm satisfied with myself when I go home at the end of the day.

I NEVER complain about money. My wife knocks down a 6-figure salary and I can promise you that she works TWICE as hard as I do. She works a lot more than 187 days a year, and she deals with just as much or more immature and childish behavior from grown men and women as I do from 10 year olds.

Paying me $200K a year wouldn't change the fact that I still have to put up with Little Johnny who disrupts my class 75 times a week. We don't have anywhere for disruptive Johnny to go! He can eventually be put in ISS or DAEP, but that is temporary--and ineffective. When he comes back, the behavior isn't better--and he's usually way behind.

I'm telling you--as a guy in the trenches. Teachers don't want more money--they want to teach and manage their classrooms. They want the class full of kids that want to be there and are eager to learn. They don't want them all to be the smartest or brightest--the ones I bust my butt for are the ones that I remember 5 years down the road! They want respect--and they want effective consequences for those that don't show respect.

Which goes back to the original post and the article--the dress code is needed because of a lack of respect!!!

Guest bleeds
Agree to disagree but see the first line in my previous post

Hurling insults will do nothing to fortify a weak arguement.

Well i'm sure most teachers that are there now are there because they want to teach but that doesn't make them the best teachers. I want to be a pro basketball player but that doesn't make me the best basketball player.

But you could be a pro basketball player if the money was enough to motivate you right? You just aren't trying hard enough!!!

Trust me--we want and need teachers in our public schools that want to be there for the right reason. Money isn't the reason to select education. You are right in that there are a lot of college kids who DONT select education because of a lack of money--but I think that makes education better. We can disagree and that's fine.

Guest bleeds
haha agreed! So where is this hurling of insults you're talking about??

p.s. making things up will do nothing to fortify a weak arguement either

Why is it everytime you enter a thread, you hijack it, abandoning the thread topic in favor of attacks on those posting?

Tell me what I have made up? You said:

It's depressing that people seem to be so convinced things have to stay the way they are.

...which is obviously directed at OBTS and myself. That's a derrogatory comment intended to diminish our points, since you have done nothing to fortify your own.

BTW, BOT.

But you could be a pro basketball player if the money was enough to motivate you right? You just aren't trying hard enough!!!

Trust me--we want and need teachers in our public schools that want to be there for the right reason. Money isn't the reason to select education. You are right in that there are a lot of college kids who DONT select education because of a lack of money--but I think that makes education better. We can disagree and that's fine.

I'm not saying i could be a pro basketball player but that's because the money has attracted the top talent to play basketball. One day the hope would be that the same could be said about being a high school teacher but yes i suppose we will have to settle on disagreement.

Why is it everytime you enter a thread, you hijack it, abandoning the thread topic in favor of attacks on those posting?

Tell me what I have made up? You said:

...which is obviously directed at OBTS and myself. That's a derrogatory comment intended to diminish our points, since you have done nothing to fortify your own.

BTW, BOT.

Well if i'm guilty of hijacking this thread than you are equally as guilty.

What I said wasn't directed towards you or OBTS it was directed towards all those who are afraid of change (which can even be myself at sometimes). If you want to spin things so you can play the victim then thats your prerogative. If your point can be diminished by that statement then maybe you should consider finding a better point or something stronger to back it up.

Guest bleeds

I've made my point quite well, as corroborated by OBTS. It is you, despite being asked not to, who has chosen to continually hijack this thread. It is you who has avoided good questions and comments in order to launch personal attacks.

Now, I am asking you one more time to get back on topic, or exit the thread, please.