How to improve the public education system?

UTBasketball00

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/web/93450.asp

I believe by greatly increasing the salary of teachers it would create more of a desire to go into the teaching field and thus bring more talent and better teachers into the public education system. Thoughts?

I think you're right... unfortunately :thumbdown: It should be based on wanting to be a teacher for reasons other than money but we live in a greedy society that usually thinks first about money and then about helping others. I do believe there is a lot of work to be done however...

My son goes to a Private School. The teachers there do not make near as much as public teachers but there is a long list of teachers that want to come to work for this school. The reason is God and safety. They are actually allowed to teach and pray.

I am a teacher. Instead of more money, give me more control over my classroom so that I can teach the kids who are there to learn, and discipline or get rid of the ones who are there to disrupt. That by itself, will improve the public education system. Throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it. I didn't get in this field to get rich. I got in it to help the next generation grow and find their way in the world. Without strict, firm discipline in our classrooms, there will NEVER be any improvement in the system. You can throw money at it from here to doomsday and it will only get worse and worse.

I am a teacher. Instead of more money, give me more control over my classroom so that I can teach the kids who are there to learn, and discipline or get rid of the ones who are there to disrupt. That by itself, will improve the public education system. Throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it. I didn't get in this field to get rich. I got in it to help the next generation grow and find their way in the world. Without strict, firm discipline in our classrooms, there will NEVER be any improvement in the system. You can throw money at it from here to doomsday and it will only get worse and worse.

I don't believe putting money into the system is an immediate fix but would definitely increase a desire to bring more teachers into the field

The professors that I had in college would be totally lost teaching at the high school level.

You didn't really answer my question with that statement. If someone is motivated by money, then they can't possibly be as dedicated as they MUST be to educate the kids we have in our public education system today.

The professors that I had in college would be totally lost teaching at the high school level.

You didn't really answer my question with that statement. If someone is motivated by money, then they can't possibly be as dedicated as they MUST be to educate the kids we have in our public education system today.

Well its unfortunate that you went to that kind of college then. The professors i've had would be more than capable teaching in a high school classroom. I did answer your question you just didn't like my answer. Money is sadly a great way to make people dedicated to their work

Well its unfortunate that you went to that kind of college then. The professors i've had would be more than capable teaching in a high school classroom. I did answer your question you just didn't like my answer. Money is sadly a great way to make people dedicated to their work

And how long until they want more?

A college professor would be pulling his or her hair out by the roots after the first two weeks of teaching in a public high school.

Anyone who needs money to make them dedicated to their job isn't worth hiring in the first place. Teaching is a calling, not a job.

Guest bleeds

A college professor would not put up with what teachers are forced to put up with. He/she would have the student removed from the classroom with no regard to whom that student called or complained to.

Guest imyahuckleberry

I agree. I also might add that they need to take TAKS and send it where the sun don't shine and go back to teaching the three R's.

A college professor would not put up with what teachers are forced to put up with. He/she would have the student removed from the classroom with no regard to whom that student called or complained to.

Not under any laws on the books right now, he wouldn't........

I agree. I also might add that they need to take TAKS and send it where the sun don't shine and go back to teaching the three R's.

They are in the process of doing that. It is going to be replaced with End of Course exams, which actually test the kids over the things they have been taught THIS year instead of what they were taught LAST year.......

Guest bleeds
Not under any laws on the books right now, he wouldn't........

So a university professor cannot have a student who is disrupting class removed from that class in order to maintain decorum and a learning environment?

That professor is no different than anyone else if he's teaching in a public high school in Texas. That student has due process rights. You can't get them out of your room for the things that they do to get on your nerves until you have several weeks of documentation.

In his college class, he could get rid of him ASAP. That's why I'm saying that a college professor would be lost as a goose in a high school class today.......

Guest bleeds

Okay. Could he cancel class if he deemed the environment caused by the student was not conducive to learning?

Okay. Could he cancel class if he deemed the environment caused by the student was not conducive to learning?

He could do that in his college class. He can't in his HS class. He can get rid of the kid ASAP if it creates a dangerous environment. He could send the kid you are talking about to the office with a referral, which would be one piece of documentation for future reference, but the kid would be returned to the classroom the next day or possibly in that same period having recieved a warning or a slap on the wrist.......

13 years 9 months 22 days 15 hours 8 minutes 12 seconds give or take a little

Do college professors want more?

What happens in "13 years, 9 months, 22 days, 15 hours, 8 minutes, and 12 seconds"??