Atlanta / Gilmer scrimmage notes

Rabfan

because of the rain expected for saturday morning Aug. 15th the scrimmage between Atlanta and Gilmer has been moved to Gilmer's stadium. Freshmen and Jv. scheduled to start around 9:00 a.m. Gee i sure wish we'd have passed a bond issue and been able to get turf on our field as well. :ph34r:

The Buckeyes looked good today especially the quarterbacks. The scrimmage started off pretty even, but eventually Atlanta got tired. I think we won 6-0. I didn't like what I saw out of our defense though. There was too much arm tackling for me. It has been that way for a while now. I hate to see that sissy style of defense.

with the first units on the field for the varsity the score was 1-0 gilmer. the other TD's were generated by the 2nd units.

i thought atlanta looked really good. we didn't put the ball on the ground one time. no penalties, everybody lined up where they were supposed too and our defense looked great. gilmer busted us with that one long TD pass but the rest of the time we pretty well kept them between the 30's. our offense had a nice balance to it with a good mix of run and pass. i was really impressed how the kids have taken to the new system that coach melton has installed.

Gilmer's QB's did look very good as usual. you could tell that they had a totally offensive line in front of them though.

The Buckeyes looked good today especially the quarterbacks. The scrimmage started off pretty even, but eventually Atlanta got tired. I think we won 6-0. I didn't like what I saw out of our defense though. There was too much arm tackling for me. It has been that way for a while now. I hate to see that sissy style of defense.

Wow! It is the first scrimmage and you are already upset about sissy arm tackling. How many district championships have we won, and how many playoff games have we won, and you are going to rip them for playing like sissy's in a scrimmage that we won 6-0. Give me a break. Call Coach Traylor, and set up an appointment for you to go down and show the defensive coaches exactly how you want them to tackle and they will do their best to try and please you. Come on.

Wow! It is the first scrimmage and you are already upset about sissy arm tackling. How many district championships have we won, and how many playoff games have we won, and you are going to rip them for playing like sissy's in a scrimmage that we won 6-0. Give me a break. Call Coach Traylor, and set up an appointment for you to go down and show the defensive coaches exactly how you want them to tackle and they will do their best to try and please you. Come on.

Do they not just grab jerseys and arm tackle? It has been that way for a long time. I think Traylor and his staff are great coaches and I do not think I could coach any better, but I and 90% of Buckeye fans would like them to be more physical on defense. Those Atlanta Rabbits know how to lay the wood. Arm tackles will not cut it against the likes of Kilgore.

one more thing...i want to thank the gentlemen who were driving the gator at the scrimmage this morning for helping us move our camera equipment around the field and to the press box. we would have been in for a long haul with that stuff from the visitors side otherwise. the hospitality around the stadium was most appreciated. thank you! :thumbsup:

Instead of bashing the kids and coaches on a forum, go to the Gilmer fieldhouse and tell Coach Barr how to coach tackling. If it has been that way for a long time it needs to be fixed! Go talk to him. He will be glad to see you. By the way, how did you come up with the 90 %?

Does anybody really think he's gonna go to a coach a tell him how to tackle? I'm sick of seeing this reply to coaching styles here. It's like the only comeback anybody has. Just tell him something like this...I've been to plenty of Buckeye games, especially in the last 5 or so years, and these boys aren't sissys. I've seen plenty of big hits on D. The last one I saw was Berennan Thompson "laying the wood" to a kid from Liberty Hill in the state game-and that was the last game I saw. And there was a big hit in just about every game I saw before that...so who have you been watching?

don't get too hung up on points scored during a scrimmage. yeah, you always want to come out of any contest feeling like you won it, otherwise you'd just go watch a 5-6 year old soccer match where they don't keep score. but in reality the coaches aren't conducting the scrimmages to try and score, they're looking for a few key factors such as....

1. did everybody know where to line up on offense and defense when the plays were called or did the coach have to re-huddle the team and get them positioned correctly.

2.balls on the ground. are the hand-offs, pitches and passes being handled properly and the ball hitting the ground.

3.linemen on both offense and defense. are they getting their splits right or lining up in the right gaps.

4.penalties! off-sides,jumping the snap count,holding and worst of all procedure errors of any kind.

5.most importantly...MOTIVATION!!! are the kids fired up, do that have that want-too, drive, fire or burn that it's going to take to be successful through the season.

yeah...hanging points on the other guy is fun and it gives the crowd something to cheer about but it's not what a scrimmage is really about. coaches are gathering information about the overall readiness of their team as they head into the preseason. information that they can't get by watching their kids bang around on each other during practice because they all know each other and may or may not being going full speed all of the time.

Well Gilmer Looked pretty Good, and Stump Looked Great for the time he play and you know he was the lone returning stater back from last year. and the Rab's looked pretty good also they can bring it. I would really prefer not play either Team this year after they play a few more games and really Get it together.

Good luck to these two programs! cant wait to see the outcome of their district matchups!

I felt we looked pretty good today. Atlanta looked sharp, and especially considering they were installing a new offense. I know we outscored them,, but that doesn't mean much. I know Jeff was more concerned in evaluating his talent,, and I'm sure he learned a lot. Atlanta is going to surprise a few teams this year,,, or maybe they won't,,, maybe they are just better than I felt they would be. They will knock snot out of you, I know that. I just want to get through all this scrimmage stuff healthy,,, so far,, so good.