Worst Weather Games

FlowJack

I think this has been on here before, but it always brings out some interesting stories. The Gilmer-Liberty Hill game last year was the worst combination of cold and wind I've ever experienced! Sat in a monsoon in Jefferson back in the late 90's.

I personally think early season games are terrible. You have to deal with the sweltering heat. Mix that with jumping around and yelling all game and you are in danger of a heat stroke.. lol The cold games aren't bad for me because I move around so much and stay warm. Last year at the Tatum/Farmersville State Championship, it was bitter cold with high winds. By the second quarter, I was out of my coat and in my T-shirt. I HATE THE HEAT.

Guest bleeds

^

TDB, you're tougher than me. I actually went back to the truck for more clothes that night at the State Championship game. Great game though.

I have to think all the paint you had on actually helped keep you warm.

I think this has been on here before, but it always brings out some interesting stories. The Gilmer-Liberty Hill game last year was the worst combination of cold and wind I've ever experienced! Sat in a monsoon in Jefferson back in the late 90's.

Flowjack EF played that Friday night before the Saturday game with Gilmer & LH. It rained the entire time and was so foggy you could barley see the field.

DB the Tatum Farmersville game was ridiculously cold last year.

I will have to agree on the two championship game played in Waco between Gilmer/LH and Tatum/Farmersville games were miserable sitting in the stands watching. I did not go to the Tatum/Farmersville game because I was frozen stiff.

I am going to take you folks back a bit, the 2 worst games I sit thru was the regional game in 1983 when Daingerfield played Waco Robinson in Rockwall, it was around 25 degrees and the wind was blowing so hard that our kicker could barely make a PAT into the wind, the other one was the 1985 semifinal game, the ICE bowl between Daingerfield and Vernon in Garland, the turf there at Homer B Johnson was literaly covered in ice, it was a miserable night.

i remember kilgores state champ year i was at *************** game Vs kilgore in dallas i think and we had to pause the game because of the rain ( 33 degrees) and then the rain was resumed after a delay... but the fans on the kilgore side didnt budge. I went under pavillion and bought some hot chocolate! didnt stay hot very long though... long enough to keep burning my tounge. but after thats gone it just flat out got cold....

A Bullard/Tatum Game was called in the mid 90s because it was raining so hard. Resumed Saturday morning even tho they ran the clock.

The absolute Coldest was the Cotton Bowl game in 1974, Texas was getting beat and the wind was blowing chill factor had to be below 0

1989 2-A state championship game between Groveton and Lorena at Kyle Field. Temperature was LOW single digits with ice and snow everywhere. Wind chill seemed to freeze your face on contact. Even with my insulated coveralls, felt like I was shirtless. God I barely remember the game 20 years later, but will never forget that cold.

The game that Gilmer played at SFA was the worst game I've ever sat through. Freezing cold and raining non stop. Good game though.

Yep, last year Gilmer vs Mabank, Cold plus pouring rain. It was horrible. My girlfriend sat though about half of the first quarter, then she left and went shopping at Bealls. (she's from Gladewater) That QB from Mabank played great despite the weather.

Yep, last year Gilmer vs Mabank, Cold plus pouring rain. It was horrible. My girlfriend sat though about half of the first quarter, then she left and went shopping at Bealls. (she's from Gladewater) That QB from Mabank played great despite the weather.

coldest game on record in texas 1963 state semifinal game in arlington, corsicana vs graham.

As a player in 1998 (my senior year) Tatum played in Center. The entire week it rained at practice, it rained during the day Friday, it rained during warmups, it rained all night after that. The locker room floor Center put us in was covered in water before, during and after the game. It rained for so long and so hard that the band didn't go to the game only the cheerleaders. About halfway through the 1st quarter when you put your hand down on the field your hand went halfway into mud and you couldn't even see your fingers. If you know anything about Center there was always a SMELL at that place too and with it raining like it did it intensified that smell. Worst conditions I ever played in.

It's got to be 1978 ... NCAA Division II national championship game at Longview's Lobo Stadium. There was an ice storm that rolled through overnight. Temperature was in the teens and the field was covered with ice. We had to chip ice off the seats before we could sit down. Oh yes, and the wind was blowing, too.

Despite the horrible conditions about 5,000 fans showed up and it was a tremendous game. Eastern Illinois beat the University of Delaware Fighting Blue Hens 10-9. Even the folks from Illinois and Delaware were complaining about the cold weather.

Guys, I know everybody thinks about freezing cold games being bad but I'm just the opposite...those early games are unbearable...as a player I hated them because of cramps, as a coach I hate them because of the kids not hydrating like they should and catching a cramp, pulling a muscle or suffering from heat exhaustion or stroke...last night was one of the hottest, humidest (east Tx. word) I have experienced...not sure what the humidity was but it had to be exteemely high, no wind and about 98 degrees at kick-off...it was brutal!!! Give me the freezing cold, rain, sleet and snow ANY DAY!!!!!

1) SS @ MP---1993 both teams on the same sideline due to the visitor side flooded out.

2)chaminade madonna ( FL) @ tyler lee

pretty big lightning storm before the game. we were in the stands for about 2 hours. after all the hype, and the team flying in from FL.....i wasn't going anywhere.

great game

Atlanta @ Pittsburg 93

Freezing rain and wind. Me and friend only ones in stands. Yes no kidding just us two, press box was full though.

Sorry but u would be wrong there my friend. I played in that game. That game had Jefferson @ Pittsburg. We beat you guys 40-0. The only thing you were right about was your friend and you being the only fans on the home side. The Pittsburg folks allowed the Jefferson faithful to park their cars at the fence. I can remember scooping a fumble up and I couldn't even feel the football. It was sleeting and like 20 degrees that night. I still have to go with that Tatum/Farmersville as the coldest. Earlier that day my friend and I were at the Highland Park/Everman game in Mesquite. I nearly froze solid at that game.

Worst weather games i got three... The 2a state championship EF vs Canadian horribly cold and it wasnt fun to march in. Ef vs Rice was pretty bad but fun at the same time. We played Tatum a couple of years ago and it got really cold and the field felt like ice. I sure will miss Tatum fans this year.