GARLAND NAAMAN FOREST @ WHITEHOUSE

tiny33

I smell blowout in favor of NF. I think WH will be close until after half-time. Then NF will put them away.

I would love to be wrong on this by the way.

Last year WH was a better 2nd half team than they were a 1st half team. Coaches did a great job of adjustment at halftime during most games. Of course that started the year before and that's one thing that impresses me so much with this coaching staff.

Guest imyahuckleberry

Bevo, there was a post prior to yours yesterday on this game. They combined them.

8-25-08 (tiny33)

FBJ, Wildcat90's scouting report on GNF is spot on. If our defensive line stays low, grabs turf, and plays good technique to provide gap control for the LB's, then we have a good chance of not playing keep away, ala your Dogs. I look for GNF to try to keep the clock moving with only 3 or less possessions per half. That will be probably be the theme in preseason vs the running teams 'House will play. In general terms, I look for the senior leadership / chemistry to go well with the youth that will be coming in. Depth is continuing to improve. Running game looks good. Success is predicated that they continue to work hard at practice and in weight room, improve week to week, not look ahead, nor rest on past success (enough cliche's?).

I though Whitehouse was only returning 3 seniors on D.

I think this is very accurate.....lots of scoring!!!!

Naaman Forest is loaded on the offensive side of the ball....not only do they have OU commit Jonathon Miller toting the rock but they have a tremendous dual threat QB in Derrick Osbourne, if Osbourne continues to progress throwing the ball he's got John Harris who is one of the top junior prospects in the state and at 6'4 he can go get it....NF has a big strong offensive line and Miller is a workhorse....

Naaman is a bit soft on D but Bullit is a STUD....remember this is a team that went two deep in 5A last year and probably shoulda went three deep but lost a heartbreaker to Carter....

"Garland Naaman Forest vs. Whitehouse: On paper this was a very good matchup, but with the status of Whitehouse QB Brady Attaway up in the air the Wildcats may struggled against the Rangers. Naaman Forest is led by Oklahoma commit RB Jonathon Miller and one of the top 2010 WR's in John Harris. Naaman rolls by 17 in this one. "

http://hstexas.scout.com/a.z?s=378&p=3&blipid=17383

No one over here is underestimating GNF. A win over Plano West is not too shabby. I do like the fact that our coaches and team want to take on challenges to improve. What kind of offense / defensive sets do they base out of?

"Garland Naaman Forest vs. Whitehouse: On paper this was a very good matchup, but with the status of Whitehouse QB Brady Attaway up in the air the Wildcats may struggled against the Rangers. Naaman Forest is led by Oklahoma commit RB Jonathon Miller and one of the top 2010 WR's in John Harris. Naaman rolls by 17 in this one. "

http://hstexas.scout.com/a.z?s=378&p=3&blipid=17383

No one over here is underestimating GNF. A win over Plano West is not too shabby. I do like the fact that our coaches and team want to take on challenges to improve. What kind of offense / defensive sets do they base out of?

Naaman's base is out of the I although they will spread you out some as well.....with the QB they have this year they may even run some triple option because they've got a good FB who will likely be the TB next year....on d they based 4-3 for the most part..I remember them being very vanilla on D

WH has the playoff loss to W. Mesquite haunting them (or at least haunting the fans). The memory of WM grinding out 4 yards per play and taking advantage of every turnover and penalty that WH committed is painfully burned into their minds.

That being said, the kids who are in this sophomore class are not your average sophomores. Many of them will be able to step in and fill starting roles with a high degree of skill. WH has built a program from the ground up. The kids have been running McFarlin's system since 7th grade.

GNF is undoubtedly a formidable opponent. They will be tough on both sides of the ball. If WH lines up and tries to match up toe to toe with GNF, it could be a long night. But if they control the pace of the game and use their talented offense as a form of defense, they can get it done. I think that if they try to play homerun ball Friday night, they could get hurt.

Is their stadium going to be ready?

Does Whitehouse have a decent punter this year? Last year they gave away tons of field position with lousy punts.

And I hope they can block on extra points and FG attempts. Last year they were terrible.

GNF does have a new QB-moved over from WR. If they can't throw maybe McFarlin can figure something out to control the run somewhat.

Wow hey dont talk if you didnt go to any games last year.. We blocked several field goals last year! Even returned one or two!!

The team is young and inexperienced but they have a lot of talent that will be on the field for the next 2-3 years. They just have to grow!!

But I hope my boys can get it done good luck 09 live up this last year!! I'll be there so yall better impress!

I will admit, I was one of those who was thinking that perhaps playing a big AAAAA school might be a tall order, and ultimately we will have to see the results tonight to see how that turns out. But I headed over to Garland last night and watched the Freshman play.

The White team beat the Rangers 20-0, the Maroon team lost 8-14, but had several opportunities to tie that game, just mucho killer penalties and a costly turnover on a kickoff return were big parts of that.

And I left before the JV game, but I understand through the grapevine they just destroyed the Rangers.

So basically, the subvarsity teams were all able to hang with the big school, and with varsity actually being at home tonight, you know, I'm starting to feel better about things. I understand Garland Naaman is returning a lot of players and will be stout, but I think the Cats have a legitimate shot.

I will admit, I was one of those who was thinking that perhaps playing a big AAAAA school might be a tall order, and ultimately we will have to see the results tonight to see how that turns out. But I headed over to Garland last night and watched the Freshman play.

The White team beat the Rangers 20-0, the Maroon team lost 8-14, but had several opportunities to tie that game, just mucho killer penalties and a costly turnover on a kickoff return were big parts of that.

And I left before the JV game, but I understand through the grapevine they just destroyed the Rangers.

So basically, the subvarsity teams were all able to hang with the big school, and with varsity actually being at home tonight, you know, I'm starting to feel better about things. I understand Garland Naaman is returning a lot of players and will be stout, but I think the Cats have a legitimate shot.

Got to give Coach McFarlin for picking such a tough non district schedule will just prepare Whitehouse for district and onto the playoffs, I will have to go Whitehouse in a close game......GO CATS!!!

JV won 40-6.

----------------------------------------

http://www.thegarlandnews.com/sports.cfm?article=7429

Naaman Forest Rangers 2008 Football Preview (08/21/08)

naaman%20players%20smiling%20for%20pic%2pictured left to right: pictured left to right: Terrance Bullitt, Derrick Schkade, Jonathon Miller, Derrick Osborn and John Harris had plenty to smile about last season when Naaman Forest had it best football season in school history. photo by mempics.com.

Naaman Forest primed for a run at district title in 2008

By: Derek Ray Johnson

Naaman Forest enjoyed its most successful football season in school history last year where they not only finished the season with a (9-3) record, but also won its first ever playoff game by defeating Plano West to advance to the area round of the playoffs.

The Rangers are hoping to build on last year's success and Naaman Forest is expected to contend for a district title with the return of several key players.

The offense returns several playmakers including running backs Jonathon Miller and Demario Broadnax as well as receiver John Harris and quarterback Derrick Osborn.

Miller, an Oklahoma commit, will lead the Rangers ground game after breaking a pair of single-season, school records last year when he rushed for 1,681 yards and scored 24 touchdowns.

Naaman Forest had a lot of success moving the ball in the air last season and you can expect more of the same this year as Harris has proven to be a legitimate deep threat after catching 36 passes for 620 yards as a sophomore.

Nate Myers and JV Mason will anchor the offensive line, but the real question lies at quarterback with the departure of three-year starter Levi Keffer. Osborn will assume the role of signal caller after making the switch over from receiver where he has been among the team leaders in receptions during the last two seasons.

"Derrick has seen a lot of playing time and has caught 60 balls over the last two seasons," Naaman Forest coach Bill Patterson said. "He has really worked hard this summer on his conditioning and is adapting well to his new role."

Naaman Forest has shown the ability to put a lot of points on the scoreboard, but their defense was just as impressive last season as they only gave up one touchdown in its first four games of the season.

The Rangers defense looks to be even stronger in '08 with the return of several key players, including defensive backs Josh Lewis, DJ Hendrix and Terrance Bullitt, who recently committed to Texas Tech.

Naaman Forest is led up front by Richard Garrett, Michael Daniels and Jonathan Young as well as inside linebacker Derrick Schkade, who has a knack for flying to the football.

Senior leadership will play a big role in determining the ultimate success of Naaman Forest's football season and they're certainly in good hands with Miller leading the way on offense and Bullitt on defense.

"Jonathon and Terrance work hard everyday and provide great leadership for our football team," Patterson said.

Coach Patterson feels that his team learned a valuable lesson from last year's success. "Our kids learned that you have a chance to win every game you play as long as you practice hard and play hard," Patterson said.

The expectations are high at Naaman Forest, but Coach Patterson admits that his team still has a lot of work in front of them.

"Our goal is to win district," Patterson said. "We have good team speed on defense and I expect us to run the ball well, but we still have a lot of things to work on before our first game against Whitehouse. We've been working a lot on our passing game and executing our third down plays on defense. We also need to improve our kicking game, but the main thing right now is working on our conditioning and timing."

NOTE: You can read the full Garland ISD 2008 Football Preview pull out section that is in stores across the Garland area this week. The section includes team schedules, playoff histories of each school, players that look to make an impact this season as well as where all the former football players from each GISD high school are currently playing college football.

Players to keep an eye on

Key players lost

Jonathon Miller- running back

Levi Keffer- quarterback

Terrance Bullitt- defensive back

Joe Jenkins-Dill- offensive lineman

Derrick Osborn- quarterback

Russell Staats- offensive lineman

John Harris- receiver

Blaine Smith- defensive end

Derrick Schkade- linebacker

Victor Umeh- safety

Michael Daniels- defensive end

Sheridan Avant- linebacker

Richard Garrett- defensive end

Jonathan Patterson- defensive back

Nate Myers- offensive lineman

JV Mason- offensive lineman

Naaman Forest grads on the college gridiron

Roderick Johnson- WR- North Texas

Jacob Lacey- DB- Oklahoma State

Justin Ibe- DL- Midwestern St.

Keithon Fleming- RB- West Texas A&M

Bradley Bullitt- LB- West Texas A&M

TJ Cleavinger- OL- Eastern New Mexico

Phillip Boyd- DT- Northeastern St. (Okla)

Naaman Forest Playoff History

2003- Naaman Forest 24 Tyler Lee 57

2007- Naaman Forest 24 Plano West 20

2007- Naaman Forest 20 Dallas Carter 28