Rules Question

Iwannabeacowboy

I saw this Friday night and would like to know if it was right.

On 4th down, there was an incomplete pass and offensive pass interference was called. The defensive team refused the penalty. There was a change of possession and the "white hat" marked off 15 yards. His explanation for marking off the 15 yards was "Offensive pass interference is a 15 yard penalty and a loss of down".

I thought it would just be a change of possession. Never heard that off. pass interference came with a loss of down.

Which is right?

On 4th down, there was an incomplete pass and offensive pass interference was called. The defensive team refused the penalty. There was a change of possession and the "white hat" marked off 15 yards. His explanation for marking off the 15 yards was "Offensive pass interference is a 15 yard penalty and a loss of down".

I thought it would just be a change of possession. Never heard that off. pass interference came with a loss of down.

Which is right?

i would have thought that the defense would just decline it and get the ball from the line of scrimmage, i didn't think they could get the 15 yards bonus... i could be wrong, someone help us out

Offensive pass Interference is an automatic penalty, just like an offensive foul start. So they could not have refused it. It also comes with loss of down. It is a spot foul, unless it is further than 15 yds off the line of scriimage. So if the call was at atleast 15 yds on 4th down it was the right call.

With the way some of the refs have been calling the games i've been to lately i would think they did something wrong too. I feel that officiating is just at a poor level lately. I'm sick of seeing terrible calls that have the potential to change the outcome.

Sorry for getting of topic i just needed to vent. Hornet is right. NIce explanation.

Offensive pass Interference is an automatic penalty, just like an offensive foul start. So they could not have refused it. It also comes with loss of down. It is a spot foul, unless it is further than 15 yds off the line of scriimage. So if the call was at atleast 15 yds on 4th down it was the right call.

There is no such thing as an automatic penalty. Any penalty can be declined. Offensive pass interference is 15 yards from the previous spot. Offensive pass interference is not a loss of down. The refs were wrong.

Defensive pass interference is a spot foul and team A is rewarded a first down, if the foul occurs less than 15 yards beyond

the previous spot. If the foul occurs 15 or more yards beyond the previous spot, Team A’s ball, first down, 15 yards from

the previous spot.

With the way some of the refs have been calling the games i've been to lately i would think they did something wrong too. I feel that officiating is just at a poor level lately. I'm sick of seeing terrible calls that have the potential to change the outcome.

Sorry for getting of topic i just needed to vent. Hornet is right. NIce explanation.

It was a nice explanation...but it was totally wrong!

First off--ANY penalty can be declined.

Secondly, Offensive pass interference is not a spot foul...it is a previous spot foul. It also does not come with a loss of down penalty.

Lastly, the defense must chose to either accept or decline the penalty. If they accept the penalty, then the offense would get another shot at 4th down, 15 yards in back of their previous attempt. If they decline the penalty, then the 4th down play ends the series and the defense becomes the offense by default. The only way they would not decline the penalty would be if the offense scored on the play.

Sorry cowboy...the refs got this one wrong. What game was this?

Any penalty can be declined? I didn't think you could decline illegal procedure?

Any penalty can be declined and there is no such thing as illegal procedure.

RULE 10

Penalty Enforcement

SECTION 1. Penalties Completed

How and When Completed

ARTICLE 1. a. A penalty is completed when it is accepted, declined or

canceled according to rule, or when the choice is obvious to the referee.

b. Any penalty may be declined, but a disqualified player must leave the

game.

Any penalty can be declined and there is no such thing as illegal procedure.

RULE 10

Penalty Enforcement

SECTION 1. Penalties Completed

How and When Completed

ARTICLE 1. a. A penalty is completed when it is accepted, declined or

canceled according to rule, or when the choice is obvious to the referee.

b. Any penalty may be declined, but a disqualified player must leave the

game.

Then what is illegal procedure called? When an offensive player moves before the snap. The announcers call it that.

On almost any occasion, the refs don't ask the def. they just mark it off.

Then what is illegal procedure called? When an offensive player moves before the snap. The announcers call it that.

On almost any occasion, the refs don't ask the def. they just mark it off.

It is a false start not illegal procedure. Announcers are not always right. You will probably never see a false start penalty be declined, but it can be.

It is a false start not illegal procedure. Announcers are not always right. You will probably never see a false start penalty be declined, but it can be.

Thanks.

Listen to this. Play starts and flag goes down for a false start. No whistle blown- 1 yard gain on pass. Defense declines penalty-preferring second and nine. But there is no second and nine. With a false start there is no play. If they decline its still first and 10. Offense head coach has fit when refs mark off 5 yards. So they either gave the defense a second bite at the apple or there is no ability to decline a false start.

I believe your rule info but if a team is stupid they should not get a second chance to determine if they want the penalty or not.

This happend at the WH-Corsicana game.

Thanks.

Listen to this. Play starts and flag goes down for a false start. No whistle blown- 1 yard gain on pass. Defense declines penalty-preferring second and nine. But there is no second and nine. With a false start there is no play. If they decline its still first and 10. Offense head coach has fit when refs mark off 5 yards. So they either gave the defense a second bite at the apple or there is no ability to decline a false start.

I believe your rule info but if a team is stupid they should not get a second chance to determine if they want the penalty or not.

Just speculating here, but if the officials determined that there never should have been a play due to the infraction by the offense (a dead ball foul), then the defense can't have 2nd and 9 because technically 1st down never happened--even though they played it out.

Announcers often use the term "illegal procedure" as an all-encompassing term for things like false start, illegal formation, offsides, etc. The term illegal procedure doesn't appear in the NCAA (UIL) rules book.

Thanks.

Are you sure the flag was for a false start?

Thanks.

The refs in Corsicana were calling illegal formation saying that a lineman was lined up in the backfield. It was already 1st and 15 because they called it on the previous play. On the second play they made the same call but we completed the pass for a gain of 10. I believe that the ruling should be that they can either accept the penalty and make it 1st and 20 or decline the penalty and it should be 2nd in 5. Instead the refs were letting them decline the penalty and mark it back at the previous spot to make it 2nd and 15. Anyone know if this is right? If you decline the penalty then doesn't the play stand?

The refs in Corsicana were calling illegal formation saying that a lineman was lined up in the backfield. It was already 1st and 15 because they called it on the previous play. On the second play they made the same call but we completed the pass for a gain of 10. I believe that the ruling should be that they can either accept the penalty and make it 1st and 20 or decline the penalty and it should be 2nd in 5. Instead the refs were letting them decline the penalty and mark it back at the previous spot to make it 2nd and 15. Anyone know if this is right? If you decline the penalty then doesn't the play stand?

Illegall formation is a live ball foul. So if an illegall formation penalty is declined the play stands.

The crew working that game is very well respected by just about everyone in the business. The majority of them work on Saturdays--and they worked the 5A state championship game two years ago. Nobody is immune from mistakes, but I'd bet on those guys getting it right a high percentage of the time.

Which is right?

Eustace vs Edgewood. Gave the ball to Edgewood plus 15 yds. It was a 4th and 7 play. If they decline the penalty the get the ball around their own 45 but the refs screwed up gave them the ball plus the penalty so the got the ball around Eustaces 40.

Not the only call that was missed. Called a pass interference on Eustace negating an interception.

But what a game. One of those that nobody deserved to lose.