MMA Disgusts Me

DiscreetWisdom

• 1 month later...

MMA fighters are Meatheads?

- Maybe it's just me but it seems to take a lot more dedication to learn multiple disciplines INCLUDING boxing.

Also boxing is the MOST barbaric sport in the world. Ask yourself two questions.

1. How many people have died from MMA?

2. How many people have suffered brain damage from MMA?

I truly think someone needs to do their homework before they bash a sport. At the first hint of trouble a MMA fight is stopped. Also the longest fights go only 5 rounds unlike boxing which are atleast 12 of head pounding action. As a matter of fact this is how barbaric you boxing fans are. You hail Ali/Fraizier 3 as one of the best fights of all time and Frazier almost DIED in that match. If he would have came out for that last round he had a VERY good chance of dying.

• 4 weeks later...

I went and witnessed my first "live" event this past weekend at the Oil Palace. I have nothing but positive things to say about the participants. The production, on the other hand, was a complete joke.

To begin with, first punch was not thrown until almost 07:45 pm. This would have been fine if the matches were set to begin at 07:30 pm. Unfortunately, the start time was scheduled for 6:00 pm. We finally received an update from "Joe Announcer" about 7:15 pm.

Two of the matches ended in complete silence because no one (other than the referee) knew what had happened. We finally were able to figure it out when the victorious fighter stood up celebrating.

The announcer literally requested 20 times that officials of the promotion come back to ringside so that the event could start and/or proceed. What it was they had better to do, I do not know.

There needed to be an extra team of EMTs there because there evidently is a requirement that two be ringside while the matches are going on. The show was further delayed when someone from the promotion needed medical attention. I can't fault him for that, but you'd think there would be contingencies in place for just that type of scenario.

And finally, this show was never billed as a showcase or "recital" for the local MMA gym. I had no grand illusions of UFC PPV quality, but I fulled expected matches between two opponents that seasoned and experienced. Every match, except the main event, consisted of two fighters that could tally their number of fights on one hand.

For cage-side seats at $65 apiece, I expected a heckuva lot more from the production. Again, I take nothing away from the fighters themselves. They did their best to succeed and put on a good show.

The production, though, was embarrassing and I would never pay to go to another one of their shows.

I went and witnessed my first "live" event this past weekend at the Oil Palace. I have nothing but positive things to say about the participants. The production, on the other hand, was a complete joke.

To begin with, first punch was not thrown until almost 07:45 pm. This would have been fine if the matches were set to begin at 07:30 pm. Unfortunately, the start time was scheduled for 6:00 pm. We finally received an update from "Joe Announcer" about 7:15 pm.

Two of the matches ended in complete silence because no one (other than the referee) knew what had happened. We finally were able to figure it out when the victorious fighter stood up celebrating.

The announcer literally requested 20 times that officials of the promotion come back to ringside so that the event could start and/or proceed. What it was they had better to do, I do not know.

There needed to be an extra team of EMTs there because there evidently is a requirement that two be ringside while the matches are going on. The show was further delayed when someone from the promotion needed medical attention. I can't fault him for that, but you'd think there would be contingencies in place for just that type of scenario.

And finally, this show was never billed as a showcase or "recital" for the local MMA gym. I had no grand illusions of UFC PPV quality, but I fulled expected matches between two opponents that seasoned and experienced. Every match, except the main event, consisted of two fighters that could tally their number of fights on one hand.

For cage-side seats at $65 apiece, I expected a heckuva lot more from the production. Again, I take nothing away from the fighters themselves. They did their best to succeed and put on a good show.

The production, though, was embarrassing and I would never pay to go to another one of their shows.

I have never been to an event, but I have always thought it would be best to watch from the living room.

• 4 months later...
MMA fighters are Meatheads?

- Maybe it's just me but it seems to take a lot more dedication to learn multiple disciplines INCLUDING boxing.

Also boxing is the MOST barbaric sport in the world. Ask yourself two questions.

1. How many people have died from MMA?

2. How many people have suffered brain damage from MMA?

I truly think someone needs to do their homework before they bash a sport. At the first hint of trouble a MMA fight is stopped. Also the longest fights go only 5 rounds unlike boxing which are atleast 12 of head pounding action. As a matter of fact this is how barbaric you boxing fans are. You hail Ali/Fraizier 3 as one of the best fights of all time and Frazier almost DIED in that match. If he would have came out for that last round he had a VERY good chance of dying.

36 boxing related deaths in the history of the sport.

0 related to MMA

Ponder on that while you get you nails done or put on your guy liner.

I don't care for MMA because of the lock ups. Just as boxing has become today, it's a bunch of hugging and trying to hit someone in the back of the head. Instead of standing up, they're on the floor. I could care less for Greco-Roman wrestling.

I'd rather see a knockout or a knock down, than MMA. Seperate them, and let them go at it again. I don't think it's too violent. I'd rather see more punches and kicks to the head like Muay Thai.

just my two cents...

I would hardly call MMA two neanderthals bashing each others heads in. A lot of MMA fighter have college degrees and are quite intelligent people. No disrespect to boxing (I enjoy watching both by the way) but MMA is more versatile as there are different ways to win and there are more areas as to where the fight can go. MMA does not only involve boxing, you have jujitsu, muay thai, kickboxing, judo, sambo, and a ton of other combat or martial arts. MMA is still a young sport and it will take time for people to get used to it or accept it like boxing. I would hardly call the fighters in the sport no talent. There is a lot of work that goes into preparing for a fight. Fighters invest a lot of time and effort into preparing for a fight. Maybe one day you will change your mind, maybe you won't....