UT vs Rice

catluv

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot to a little. I really don't understand why texas plays rice EVERY year. Yeah everybody plays some C-USA or Sun Belt school every year, but texas always plays rice.

Ya, I'm tired of playing Rice every year too. I wish they'd pick up somebody like Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech.

They play Rice because Rice is cheap and won't demand a home and home series with Texas. Most teams want a home and home series, but Texas wants to make money having home games...

I remember they played rice in houston a couple of years ago. I think it was at reliant or the astrodome or something. So that sounds like a home game for rice.

This is the last game of a six year contract between Rice and Texas. Two games were in Houston (at Reliant) and four games were/are played in Austin. The real advantages for Rice are the money for the games in Austin and the added home attendance for the games in Houston. The advantage for Texas is the opportunity to play for their fans in Houston. This attendance helps with the NCAA requirement of 15,000 average home attendance to remain at the Division One level.

President Kennedy said it best on September 12, 1962 in a speech at Rice Stadium:

"But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

BTW, after a year off in 2009 the series resumes in 2010.

Texas fans love the M.O.B. When Texas plays Rice the only thing we don't know is the parody at halftime. Long live the Rice series.

U of H had the opportunity for a gravy train game and blew a good thing. Games held in Houston and Dallas are much about accommodating Texas fans in those communities. U of H failed to realize the program and as long as DeLoss is around, they have played the last time. Luckily for UofH, his remaining tenure is relatively short. Unfortunately for the UofH, the alumni memory is long.

I expect to see home & home series with North Texas, TCU, and SMU with the Dallas home site at the Jerry World stadium.

Texas fans love the M.O.B. When Texas plays Rice the only thing we don't know is the parody at halftime.

I expect to see home & home series with North Texas, TCU, and SMU with the Dallas home site at the Jerry World stadium.

The Rice band hacks me off. Up here in DFW we know the new stadium as the Boss Hog Bowl.

I will say 65-3 as my prediction for 2 main reasons: (1) Because I will be there with my wife and it is her first college football game, and (2) I just really wanna see a serious beat down... :thumbsup:

Both good reasons for predicting such a lopsided score.........I hope your wife enjoys her first college game, but she'll forever be spoiled after witnessing a game at UT with 98,000 burnt orange clad fans in that stadium.

Have fun!

Texas will drop Rice and pick up someine like TexasSouth. or Grambling..All wins now but when OU hits the scene the Horns will wonder what hit them...Texas does not need to play a Houston team to recruit in Houston...play a Florida team to recruit there or someone who at least fives you a game....they may pickup North Texas next. No wonder Mack has so many wins. But so few championships.

Texas will drop Rice and pick up someine like TexasSouth. or Grambling..All wins now but when OU hits the scene the Horns will wonder what hit them...Texas does not need to play a Houston team to recruit in Houston...play a Florida team to recruit there or someone who at least fives you a game....they may pickup North Texas next. No wonder Mack has so many wins. But so few championships.

Dude, the very same thing can be said for OU. "They won't know what hit them when they play UT, because they've not been tested yet." Texas played Ohio State in a home and home series a few years back when Ohio State was a good team not a shell of the team they used to be. You know good and well, every single big time program plays piddly schools at the beginning of the season.

UT can't help it that suddenly Arkansas has lost a lot of veteran players and is extremely young. Usually, that's a pretty good team to play and an old SWC rival. They put themselves in a bad spot with UTEP knowing they'd have the little man syndrom playing "big brother" and they purposely did that to give themselves a small test on the road.

As far as I know, Mack has never scheduled a D-II school or whatever you call it now.

Now, as for playing Florida teams they played at UCF last year. Just so happens they were opening their brand new stadium and were rowdy the entire game. They had a running back who is now making contributions for his team in the NFL, Kevin Smith, who rushed for I think the most yards in college football history.

By the way, Mack Brown has just as many national titles as your boy Bob Stoops does. Yes, OU has more Big 12 titles, but we Longhorn and Sooner fans like to think about winning national titles not conference titles right?

Guys, UT suffered quite possibly a very big loss tonight in losing Blain Irby for the season with that nasty, Willis McGahee like, knee injury. I think the other guy they had behind Irby was a kid named Marshall who is a pretty good athlete, but he's been banged up.

Irby was beginning to form into a David Thomas clone, but we've lost him for the remainder of the season now and I think it's going to hurt us.

Guys, UT suffered quite possibly a very big loss tonight in losing Blain Irby for the season with that nasty, Willis McGahee like, knee injury. I think the other guy they had behind Irby was a kid named Marshall who is a pretty good athlete, but he's been banged up.

Irby was beginning to form into a David Thomas clone, but we've lost him for the remainder of the season now and I think it's going to hurt us.

Yeah, that one's gonna hurt. Tough break, especially to lose him in a game like this. Hopefully, it's not as bad as it looked, because it sure looked awful.

On a positive note, Colt McCoy broke the all-time UT touchdown record en route to another outstanding performance. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he wins the Big 12 offensive player of the week again. Dude is a stud.