Cowboys vs Redskins Chatter

By far Dallas has the more talented team, but I can't help to think that this could be a "trap game". Washington is coming in hot, their offense is starting to click, and of course this is probably the biggest game they will play all year (besides the game when the cowboys travel to washington).

If the Cowboys show up this game should be decided in the first quarter, if they start slacking it could be a long afternoon. Romo has to be better in the red zone.

The key is what Wade can do with the defense. The Cowboys seem to have many problems on Defense, except for DeMarcus Ware. I'm thinking if Jason Campbell doesn't make any mistakes, they can beat the Cowboys on their own turf. I have a feeling that the Cowboys will take care of bidness at home with a 35 - 24 victory. I'm looking for more great things from Felix Jones. It's still early in the season, so I'll be on the edge of my chair. The offense looks solid, but the defense has shown holes in the secondary.

I saw David's post earlier about High School games, but if I'm wrong I'll eat crow.

Here's the synopsis for the 1st half:

Pass protection has been awful. Romo hasn't had a chance to see the field and hit the reciever.

WR's: Too many of them are standing around not executing. Crayton put himself out of bounds on a play that should have been made. WAY too many dropped balls and leaving plays on the field. Redskin Secondary has been physical with TO and virtually have taken him out of the picture.

RB: Lack thereof

Defensively: Was an excellent effort till after Dallas scored... the secondary is very confused with the high precision and speed of the motions by Thrash and etc. Slants have been tearing Dallas apart and the underneath routes are open due to the space vacted by the blitzers.

Dallas needs to pick it up, turn it up and out play the Redskins if they want the win.

Well, safe to say I'm fairly livid at that performance. I can see already without even breaking down the game yet that Stewart and Garrett put very little game planning into this. Dallas didn't start jamming any of the Deadskin receivers until 6:00 to go in the 4th. Barber never got involved in the passing game, nor the run for that matter. Dallas didn't seem to even consider attacking their slow linebackers with speed to the outside, a la Felix the cat. They never considered moving Owens away from the jam until the 3rd quarter, and even then probably still should have used it more.

The refs were awful, but usually it's because they pile on calls; this crew seemed to take great pains to call as little as possible. The Redskins mugged our receivers and got away with it, we should have at least tried to do the same.

It's inexplicable to me to keep your corners 10-12 yards away from their smurf wideouts, allowing them to run free on slants and drags and hurting our ability to stop the run as well. Teams that hit Moss in the mouth contain him, teams that give up plenty of cushion usually pay the price, and we did.

Hard to believe we went from shutting down a far more potent offense to having trouble covering the gaps on the strong side of the formation. Hell, Zorn even got freebees because Stewart kept leaving his nickel unit on the field and got pummeled for it.

After watching Courtney Brown for a half, I want Roy Williams back.

I love the cowboys, but sometimes teams lose in the NFL, not that big of a deal. NFC East is outrageous this season.

That's right, it's the NFL and the guys on the other side of the ball are also pros playing at the highest level of football. Now, I know Dallas didn't play close to as well as they can, but that's part of it...the game of football.

Sometimes you aren't your best, but you still have to try to pull it out. The Boys just didn't stop them when they had to on D.

The tough thing is they stopped them on 3rd and 2, but had the extra man on the field. NOT SMART!

I still think they're the best team in the NFL and will win the Super Bowl.

Ugly, ugly, ugly. Congratulations, the 'Skins win on the Cowboys turf. The Cowboys looked like they were sitting on their hands. I saw complacency and lack of emotion by the Cowboys. I have to give kudo's to Jim Zorn who motivated his team today. Why do I feel like I left the top off my Dr. Pepper for 5 days, and that's what the 'Boys gave me today, nothing but a flat drink and no pop. It's only going to be uglier on November 16th.

i not once complained about this loss...dallas didn't play their best...refs blew some calls...BUT it shows Dallas that they are not invincible this season...they can get beat so they need to go out there week after week and play...i would rather them hit a few bumps now rather than get cold at the end of the season like they have done the last two years.

I think Washington paid the ref's a little extra.

That's a dumb thing to say. The refs effectively gave Dallas 4 points when they called #61 downfield and took a TD away. That was a very weak call--he wasn't blocking, he was less than a yard beyond the limit, and he didn't draw a defender (no advantage).

There was an offsides that should have been called, but Washington got the same FG that they would have if it were 5 yards further. And the facemask that was missed was a bad one, but probably not a difference maker. Dallas had 12 men on the field, and they caught that. Not a slanted or biased crew in any way.

The game was very well officiated overall. They got the big stuff in the secondary, and passed on the tweeners--letting the players decide the game.

steve, you may have a point...if the Boys would just utilize the abilities and schemes they already have in place. They didn't do that in this game, and they didn't adjust until much, much too late.

Last week they used all of their abilities very effectively, except possibly running more drags and in routes for Owens (forgiveable, considering how good GB's linebackers are in covering the middle). The last two games they shown the added dimension of getting Barber much, much more involved in the passing game, much like NE does with Kevin Faulk.

However, they didn't do any of that this week, and I didn't see where Washington was doing anything special to take them away. We didn't run screens to slow the blitz. We never tried to get Barber or Felix outside, or even really go to the right side of the line very often. We didn't use Witten in the blocking scheme much. We didn't use Curtis or Bennett to expose their linebackers.

In short, Washington really just decided to mug Owens and load up on the strong side of the line to stop Barber. Philly did this exact same thing and we torched them because we adjusted.

On defense, it really is starting to look like we recycled our GB gameplan, but didn't take into account Washington's differences, like their smaller wideouts or their proliferation to running.

I think Washington paid the ref's a little extra.

I have one question.

Have the Cowboys ever lost a game that wasn't surrounded in controversy, conspiracy, or because of the officials?

Seriously, Washington had two touchdowns called back.

Did the 'Skins defensive backs mug Dallas, yes---that was their chance, but like in baseball, you should adjust to the "strike zone."

Cowboys got away from the running game for whatever reason--maybe because the Redskins were thumping Barber.

I was expecting something with Felix Jones, but he wasn't a factor, and he took a clean shot early in the game on a kick return, and tip-toed the rest of the game.

Did Pacman get his head almost ripped off on a missed face mask call, yes--but I don't see any posts from you from two weeks ago, when the Cowboys got away with one on Brian Westbrook, almost identical...but you didn't see that one, did you?

Listen, I'm surprised, I didn't think Washington could run the ball as well as they did, and by doing that they played keep-away, 38 plus minutes time of possession.

Cowboys are very good, but the Redskins had a great game plan.

Washington outplayed the Cowboys in every phase of the game, offense, defense, and special teams.

NFC East is a monster, and there are many more collisions to come. You should never underestimate a rivalry game.

And one final note, some people forget this too, the other team gets a paycheck as well.

I didn't see this one coming either, and I know where my bread is buttered, but I'll enjoy this for 4-6 hours, and then move on with life.

Smoaky

The game was very well officiated overall. They got the big stuff in the secondary, and passed on the tweeners--letting the players decide the game.

Not sure how you call this game very well officiated. The face mask on Pacman Jones almost turned his head around backward... how do you miss something so obvious? (you are right about the one on Westbrook, two weeks ago, Smoakey another one that you can't see how they missed). One of the Redskin O-lineman pulled well before the snap of the ball and no flag... he wasn't just barely ahead of the snap, he was way ahead. How in the world do you miss that? Several times the Redskin DBs had a hand full of white jersey, Crayton (I think was the WR) ran a route and couldn't get to the pass, he complained to the ref about holding and one side of his shoulder pads were sticking out of the neck of his jersey. Wonder how that happened? He never went to the ground. Someone holding you by pulling your jersey would do that. Another one in a long list of no calls.

The illegal man down field was the proper call, by your own post you say #61 was over the line, it doesn't matter if you are engaged with a defensive player or not. This is one the refs actually got right.

Although this was a very poorly officiated game, the refs did not cost the Cowboys the game. The Cowboys' coaching and play calling was poor on both sides of the ball. The execution was sluggish and out of sync.

How in the world do you only give Marion Barber the ball 8 times? They were not so far behind to where they had to pass to catch up. Felix Jones gets no carrries and, to my recollection, only lined up on offense once. Wade Phillips says at half time he did not make a "get fired up" speech because the players can get themselves fired up. Are you kidding me? What exactly is Phillips job?

Bottom line. Poor coaching, poor play and poor officiating plus the Redskins came to play the Cowboys didn't.

i know TO was not happy after the game but he doesn't have a gripe. he had 7 catches and 2 rushes. could've caught a couple more balls and was very well covered many other times. i thought they tried to hard to get him the ball at times. Romo was forcing some passes to him. what bothers me was that they only rushed the ball 11 times. Barber had 8, TO 2 and Romo 1. F. Jones had 0. go figure. they were simply outplayed today. maybe the last 2 games took alot out of them or maybe they thought they were invincible. like someone else i'd prefer to see them stumble early in the season instead of the playoffs. this could be a positive loss.

i know TO was not happy after the game but he doesn't have a gripe. he had 7 catches and 2 rushes. could've caught a couple more balls and was very well covered many other times. i thought they tried to hard to get him the ball at times. Romo was forcing some passes to him. what bothers me was that they only rushed the ball 11 times. Barber had 8, TO 2 and Romo 1. F. Jones had 0. go figure. they were simply outplayed today. maybe the last 2 games took alot out of them or maybe they thought they were invincible. like someone else i'd prefer to see them stumble early in the season instead of the playoffs. this could be a positive loss.

Positive loss or not, you just hate for the 'Boys to lose to the Redskins........