OU at BU

catluv

Baylor is not playing well in the first quarter and Griffin doesn't have good lateral movement and you can tell has a lot of maturing (as a QB) to do before he becomes one of the top quarterbacks in the Big 12.

Again, like last week with TCU at OU there have been numerous breakdowns in the secondary and OU has taken advantage of it. Bradford threw a pick on the goal line and the officials said the DB for BU interfered with the traitor from Gilmer, but it was plain as day he didn't touch him until the linebacker had already intercepted Bradford. OU scored on the next play.

On 4th and 6 Griffin had a receiver wide open for the first down over the middle and just didn't see it. Yes, OU is now up 21-0, but if they play like this next week they will get destroyed.

BU's defense still has a long way to go, and OU's running game doesn't scare me at all. Murray isn't that impressive and isn't anything like Peterson was.

Griffin has got to learn to take some steam off some of his passes. That was a big play waiting to happen and he threw that little screen 100 mph at his receiver. Too many mistakes for Baylor early to contend. The shanked punt, not seeing receivers, dropping first down passes.

BU needs to get the ball in the hands of Kendal Wright, who I think is their best offensive threat.

OU is moving in fits and starts, making enough big plays to keep the score well in their favor, but not putting Baylor away in the nuts and bolts. 50 penalty yards in the first half, stupid turnovers - yes, turnovers plural. That interference call was doo-doo and the pass was an INT.

While the score looks like OU has the game in hand, the Sooners need to tighten things up and put BU away quick. Control the ball and keep Griffin in-between the tackles. If they start lollygagging (like last week), BU won't mind putting a couple more scores on the board.

...but seriously. This OU running game has got some 'splainin' to do. This triumverate of RBs (Murray, Brown, Madu) is only getting OU 3 yards and a pile of dust per carry (3.6 per carry), and that's with Bradford throwing for 300 a game.

If UT can lock down OU's receivers, put pressure on Sammy, and keep Murray/Brown/Madu to under 200 total yards... they've got the Sooners beat.

Ya, I know, that has just always made me so furious. It's like some people just have no loyalty to their home state, and it kills me.

Texans, for the most part, are always so proud of being Texans and the state of Texas. It's like these guys just don't care and it just makes me sick. That's why I really like that Mack doesn't recruit outside of the state of Texas unless it's just an unbelievable type player.

You look at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State's rosters and you'd see that they wouldn't be one of the top teams in the country if it weren't for all the players they get from Texas and around the country.

Besides Bradford, tell me who one of their big contributors on a weekly basis is actually from Oklahoma. I bet you can count them on one hand, including offense and defense.

Add them up for me off the top of your head real quick, and think you'll see what I mean. Post them for me as a reply to this post.

Dude, file me under the "IT DOESN'T FREAKIN' MATTER WHERE YOU'RE BORN/RAISED" banner.

I was born and raised in Texas, still consider myself a Texan, but haven't lived in Texas since I was in high school.

Almost all of the greatest heroes of Texas history (Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, etc.) are from somewhere else. UT's last Heisman winner was from California for cryin' out loud! Are you an alumnus of UT and, if not, why don't you root only for the college from which you graduated? I'm assuming you don't follow the Dallas Cowboys (or any other pro team). If so, how many of them are from Dallas and/or are actual Cowboys?

:whome: Just let it go, man, just let it go...

Dude, file me under the "IT DOESN'T FREAKIN' MATTER WHERE YOU'RE BORN/RAISED" banner.

I was born and raised in Texas, still consider myself a Texan, but haven't lived in Texas since I was in high school.

Almost all of the greatest heroes of Texas history (Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, etc.) are from somewhere else. UT's last Heisman winner was from California for cryin' out loud! Are you an alumnus of UT and, if not, why don't you root only for the college from which you graduated? I'm assuming you don't follow the Dallas Cowboys (or any other pro team). If so, how many of them are from Dallas and/or are actual Cowboys?

:whome: Just let it go, man, just let it go...

Those heroes of Texas were here before Texas was a state and helped establish it so I guess they could be considered adopted Texans. I graduated out the University of Texas system, but it was UT-Tyler. I grew up as a Longhorn fan with several members of my family going to UT. The last Heisman winner from Texas should've been Vince Young, but he got robbed out of that, but you are correct Ricky is out of Cali.

The Cowboys is a completely different thing. Players can't help where they get drafted and the NFL is way different than college.

All I'm saying is I can't stand the fact that you're from Texas and you're a big time recruit and you're not wearing Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU......across your chest.

You know nothing of Oklahoma if you grew up/were raised in Texas, no loyalty to your home state. I don't know how you can see it any different. There are so many colleges to choose from within the borders of Texas - pick one.

Its not only OU & Okie St, but Mizzou, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, etc. Look at any D1 roster around the country and you'll more than likely find a starter from Texas.

Yes, but OU and OSU wouldn't be able to function without players from Texas. Much more so than those other programs you listed, but you are right about almost every team you look at will have a Texan making contributions to their success.

...I can't stand the fact that you're from Texas and you're a big time recruit and you're not wearing Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU......across your chest.

[...]

You know nothing of Oklahoma if you grew up/were raised in Texas, no loyalty to your home state...

Once again around the mulberry bush we go with this... :rolleyes:

Your premise rests upon the rickety foundation that there is an ethical necessity that one attend college within the state of their birth, yet you provide no justification for this other than your own preference.

Now you are welcome to prefer for Texas schoolboys to attend college within the state, but when you call a fine young man a traitor for choosing otherwise - you are, quite simply, over the line.

Darrell Royal is not a traitor for choosing to spend the extent of his coaching career in Texas, any more than I am a traitor for spending my career in our nation's capital. Texas is not a medieval fiefdom, where subjects pledge undying loyalty to a crown and this is not a fascist regime where the body politic is obliged to serve the Fatherland.

Texas represents, if nothing else, a land of freedom where people are free to pursue their hopes and ambitions to the utmost of their capacity. Every time you opine that someone who chooses to pursue their dreams beyond the extrmity of the Red River has somehow betrayed some archaic subjective notion of loyalty, you represent an obsolete and just downright ignorant mode of thought.

It's perspectives like these that thought "negroes" should drink out of certain water fountains and just "know their place" in "white" society.

Who the Hades are you to tell any free-born Texan where he should go to school, and what choices he should make with his life?

You call Manuel Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Billy Sims, and any other a traitor?

Sir, it is you that are the traitor.

A traitor to everything that Texas, once as a sovereign nation and now as an American state, stands for.

i don't see why it really matters?

texas is a pretty massive state. oklahoma...not so much

it has nothing to do with being a patriot of your state. its college football. not the army

I know, this is another issue we keep retreading. There was a similar conversation back in the Spring:

"If all OU did was sign the top 25 kids in Oklahoma every year they would be worse than Baylor."

:rolleyes: Oh brother, not this again.

Oklahoma state population= 3.5 million

Texas state population= 23 million

If UT was limited only to the Austin/Houston/San Antonio triangle (nearly 4 million) then they too would likely be inferior to Baylor... but, really, the point is moot.

Once again around the mulberry bush we go with this... :rolleyes:

Your premise rests upon the rickety foundation that there is an ethical necessity that one attend college within the state of their birth, yet you provide no justification for this other than your own preference.

Now you are welcome to prefer for Texas schoolboys to attend college within the state, but when you call a fine young man a traitor for choosing otherwise - you are, quite simply, over the line.

Darrell Royal is not a traitor for choosing to spend the extent of his coaching career in Texas, any more than I am a traitor for spending my career in our nation's capital. Texas is not a medieval fiefdom, where subjects pledge undying loyalty to a crown and this is not a fascist regime where the body politic is obliged to serve the Fatherland.

Texas represents, if nothing else, a land of freedom where people are free to pursue their hopes and ambitions to the utmost of their capacity. Every time you opine that someone who chooses to pursue their dreams beyond the extrmity of the Red River has somehow betrayed some archaic subjective notion of loyalty, you represent an obsolete and just downright ignorant mode of thought.

It's perspectives like these that thought "negroes" should drink out of certain water fountains and just "know their place" in "white" society.

Who the Hades are you to tell any free-born Texan where he should go to school, and what choices he should make with his life?

You call Manuel Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Billy Sims, and any other a traitor?

Sir, it is you that are the traitor.

A traitor to everything that Texas, once as a sovereign nation and now as an American state, stands for.

I like how you tried to turn that around on me. You need to be in Washington. I hate it when kids leave the state to go elsewhere when there are plenty of great universities within the state to attend and play football.

I wouldn't say I'm the traitor at all. I would say I'm a loyalist to the state in trying to protect it by offering my sentiments and opinion that in-state kids need to go to college in state and if you hadn't have gone to OU (I think I saw where you said you were an alumnus) you would understand that. Since you are one who chose to go out of state you can't understand it.

I guess I'm just one of the punk, arrogant Texans who wants the state of Texas to be better than every other state in the union, and I do feel it is, but I just want what's best for Texas and think it'd be best if our players stayed in-state.

I know not all of them can stay, but I would like all the top recruits to stay in-state. The state of Texas could have its own conference for goodness sakes!

Nerves have been touched here, because you're one of those kids who left.

Texas as a state and the following universities: UT, A&M, TTU, BU, TCU, SMU, UH and even UTEP. I can't stand it when Texas boys go north of the border to either OU or OSU.

You know Cat, our Texas boys gotta go somewhere to play when the other Texas schools can't hold anymore......besides, the way I see it, OU or Okie State wouldn't even come close to the success they have had in their history if it weren't for Texas athletes.......the way I see it, the state of Oklahoma is merely an extension of the state of Texas with a funny name...... :thumbsup:

Texas as a state and the following universities: UT, A&M, TTU, BU, TCU, SMU, UH and even UTEP. I can't stand it when Texas boys go north of the border to either OU or OSU.

Let me ask you...

Did any of these football players take into account and considered YOUR interests and opinions of THEIR decision where to go play...

:thumbdown:

You know Cat, our Texas boys gotta go somewhere to play when the other Texas schools can't hold anymore......besides, the way I see it, OU or Okie State wouldn't even come close to the success they have had in their history if it weren't for Texas athletes.......the way I see it, the state of Oklahoma is merely an extension of the state of Texas with a funny name...... :thumbsup:

Ya, I hear you. I've joked in the past about OU really ought to be known as UT-Norman or Texas at Norman or Texas-North. I'll let it go, but I had to respond after being called the traitor to Texas when nothing can be further from the truth.

Thanks for the reminder. Oh, we're only a short work week away from the Shootout and I'm so ready!

Let me ask you...

Did any of these football players take into account and considered YOUR interests and opinions of THEIR decision where to go play...

:thumbdown:

Of course not, but I wish they had. I guess Texas, the idea of Texas, the pride that abounds in the hearts of Texans, doesn't mean as much to people as it used to or as much as it does to me.

You're a Techsan, I thought you'd understand. I guess I've got a backward, distorted, ignorant and stupid mindset to think that people should be proud of their home state and want to represent one of the universities within the state when they've got every chance to do so (talking about recruits who can hand pick where they want to go).