• OVerrated
    • Best Ever a Legend
    • Hes #### all luck

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I cant believe that anyone would even fathom the idea that he is overrated. I mean sometimes i admit that it gets old watching him win pretty much every time he tees it up but come on you have to respect the guy and give him his dues. To say he is overrated is just crazy. He literaly won the u.s. open on one leg....he is without a doubt the best ever.

Not so sure about best ever. The game has changed somewhat...fairway metals, club design, etc. I'd like to see what he would do with a set of persimmon woods like they used 50 years ago. Put him up against Hogan, Nelson, Palmer, etc, when they were in their prime...might be interesting. He is certainly the media's favorite.

Having played college golf, I have had this discussion again and again and again. Without a doubt, he is the best closer golf has ever seen. Without a doubt, he is the most intense competitor golf has ever seen. I personally think he is neck and neck with Nicklaus right now, and he is only in his early thirties. If you just go by majors, Nicklaus won 18 majors, and got second place an astonishing 19 times in majors. Tiger has won 14 majors. Some how, Nicklaus avoided injury until late in his career. As we all know, Tiger is battling injuries right now. Just as in any sport, career longevity is a major component in deeming an athlete the best of all times. Here is an analogy, Would you crown Alex Rodriguez the greatest home run hitter of all times right now? If he continues at his current pace, he will blow existing records out of the water. In my opinion, until Woods eclipses Nicklaus' record of majors, Nicklaus is the best ever.

Having played college golf, I have had this discussion again and again and again. Without a doubt, he is the best closer golf has ever seen. Without a doubt, he is the most intense competitor golf has ever seen. I personally think he is neck and neck with Nicklaus right now, and he is only in his early thirties. If you just go by majors, Nicklaus won 18 majors, and got second place an astonishing 19 times in majors. Tiger has won 14 majors. Some how, Nicklaus avoided injury until late in his career. As we all know, Tiger is battling injuries right now. Just as in any sport, career longevity is a major component in deeming an athlete the best of all times. Here is an analogy, Would you crown Alex Rodriguez the greatest home run hitter of all times right now? If he continues at his current pace, he will blow existing records out of the water. In my opinion, until Woods eclipses Nicklaus' record of majors, Nicklaus is the best ever.

Hard to argue with you on that one. When Tiger wins the Masters for the 6th time in his late 40's, then maybe...

• 4 months later...

This is a quote from Jack Nicklaus in a Rielly article...

"You guys are all so willing to just hand it to Tiger: Greatest Player Ever, like it's over already. And he'll probably wind up as that. But he has to do it first, doesn't he? And that means getting past all the injuries and things that can bite you. His swing has a helluva lot of torque in it, doesn't it? And he's going to have kids, right? There's gonna be a whole lot of times when he'd rather be at his son's football game or his daughter's dance recital. I'm just saying, the kid is amazing, and I'll be the first guy to congratulate him, but doesn't he actually have to do it first?"

Nuff said...

Tiger may be the greatest ever. I'm a big fan, but it's all conjecture because he never competed against Nicklaus when he was in his prime. Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, these and others were pretty special when they were young. Many talk about Tiger's length off the tee. With today's equipment and new golf ####, a young Nicklaus would be longer than Tiger. Who knows how far or accurate Jones, Hogan and Nelson could have hit a ball playing today in their 20s. I agree Tiger is already a legend, and I never get tired of watching him play. I have no doubt he'll be considered the greatest by most authorities, but who really knows?

Tiger is the best golfer in today's game, hands down, case closed. It is not possible, however, to compare him to past generations of the "legends" of the game- the game has changed so much that you can hardly say that he and bobby jones even played the same sport, just as it will not be possible to compare the "legends" of the game 75 years from now to Tiger, as the game will have changed again. Tiger is the best player in golf today because he works harder than anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imyahuckleberry

Well he added to his list of amazing wins today. Rallied from 5 down in the final round and drained a bomb on 18.

The guy is clutch

Is he the best ever? I don't know but I'd bet money on him if he were to play the former greats in a match today when all of these guys were in their prime.

just for the record, when is johnny miller going to accept the fact that tiger woods is the best golfer on the face of the planet...wasnt it at doral when he was saying if phil can keep hitting this way he would pick phil over tiger?? tiger is playing his 2nd tournament after the surgery and still gets a top ten...and then all he talked about down the stretch @ arnies tourney is how o'hair keeps getting par and he will win, well hate to break it to ya bud but tiger shot -5, the same score ohair had as you were saying thats all he needed to win...and was it hole 16 or 17 when tiger drove in the rough and had to pitch out short of lake on par 4, well as stevie and tiger were discussing the shot, miller was like, why in the world are they hitting it there, there is no way this is going to be within 20 ft. i have no clue what he is thinking, and then tiger promptly puts it 3 feet from the hole...dude get a life...ok sorry guys had to rant for a second

tiger woods is probabley the best athlete in the past decade and more to come

Just dont agree he is an athlete.... Here's the definition of athlete

athlete - a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength

agility - the power of moving quickly and easily; nimbleness

So point out where Tiger has proved he is agile, strong, has high stamina?? It's golf, it doesn't matter how fast, quick, strong, or in shape one is....

Just dont agree he is an athlete.... Here's the definition of athlete

athlete - a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength

agility - the power of moving quickly and easily; nimbleness

So point out where Tiger has proved he is agile, strong, has high stamina?? It's golf, it doesn't matter how fast, quick, strong, or in shape one is....

Have you seen tiger's guns? They rival those of a linebacker. Golf isn't a sport where physique is a plus; it is about mental strength. Even though he may not have to rely on his physical attributes to win in the game he plays, you can't argue the fact that he has the best mental game of any athlete in any sport.

the mental part of golf is so tough it really doesnt matter if it is a sport or not....its the only game in the world that can drain you mentally and make you fall apart so quickly....so in the mental game part of things yes you have to be an athlete and over come huge battles between yourself and your brain...being a athlete always doesnt have to mean your a phisical beast

Did you watch the U.S. Open last year?

Yes, it was amazing!!!!!!!!! The way he picked up that heavy tee and pushed it into the ground and then the coordination to make that little white ball sit on it without falling off - amazing... Then to really show off his strength, he pulled a 46" long club with a 90 gram shaft out of his bag - sheer power..... Then when he had to traverse those steep hills between the tee and the green for four days in a row - and never once fell down.... WOW... And then to really show off how far he'd come stamina wise, he carried his own clubs..... Unbelievable...

Look, I played golf in college, so I know first hand it is a great game that is really fun to play and intensely addictive. But I will forever disagree that golfers are athletes. Maybe because when someone says athlete, I think Jordan, Brown, Jackson.... I think great agility, speed, power, coordination...

So of Tiger is a great athlete, you also have to throw Padraig Harrington into the mix, he won both majors coming into the Masters - right.... Have you seen that guy try to walk and chew gum at the same time?? How about Cabrera - i bet he's fast???? Seen those guns on old Jim Furyk - stout???? The most ironic part of the whole argument is the fact that the guy who is supposedly such a great athlete is fighting injury...

The performance in the Open furthers my point - name one other sport where the "athlete" could have won with a torn ACL and a fracture??? It takes so much more athleticism that in the other sports they would have been unable to perform at all, much less at a championship level....

the mental part of golf is so tough it really doesnt matter if it is a sport or not....its the only game in the world that can drain you mentally and make you fall apart so quickly....so in the mental game part of things yes you have to be an athlete and over come huge battles between yourself and your brain...being a athlete always doesnt have to mean your a phisical beast

The moment Websters redefines the word athlete, I'll agree. So far, they are sticking with the definition I posted earlier in this thread.... Tiger Woods may indeed be a great athlete... But, I have no way of knowing, until I see him participate in an athletic sport against other world class athletes....