UNION HILL SCHOOL BOARD APPOVES PRAYER

BULLDOGBACKER1

I guess that is my point. I am ignorant to the different prayer styles in this region of the world. I do not understand if a person prays outloud and they do not impose their beliefs on others in their prayer how is it illegal. Now if the prayer went " dear god please forgive all these people in the stands that are not praying to you right now and are not listening to me so they dont go to !@(#" then some would have their rights violated. The reason people pray at football games is for safety and good will not a revival. What religion does not believe in safety and good will?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about looking at it another way. What if a say band director/teacher was leading kids in a morman/muslim/hindu prayer prior to a test etc. How many parents would be up there in a NY minute to complain? How many would question their kids on exactly what was said? I am all for prayer and religious beliefs but to me it is a private issue being made public in a public school?

How many people living in the "Bible Belt" are going to complain over a minute or 2 minute prayer when most of the time they are praying for the safety of the players and fans that are there for the game? Should we all have Saint Christopher medals?

Also what business is it of the people that will never attend a Union Hill game?

We can not pray but it is alright to kill innocent babies inside and outside the womb. What hyprocrisy?

BigRed,

You know as well as i do that there will be a trickle down effect amongst the schools that if one can do it then all of them will try. THen big brother steps in and takes it all away for a small minority of people that it offends. A majority rule passes all laws in our government but the majority does not rule anything out in public for fear of offending a minority group and getting sued by some money grubbing lawyer.

first of all sportsrus and runthebone are you and i didn't ask for a 3 page letter ARE YOU OFFENDED by dear god watch over these players and help everyone to have a safe trip home!!! if you are you should change your idiotsrus and bonehead!!!

If you will read my original post I asked are they going to let any religion that wants to say prayer do so. If they do I am all for it. Second I personally am not offended but If the prayer was from another religion would you be? I pray for the safety of my kids all the time but to say I am an idiot for believing to each his own doesn't help your agruement for tolerance now does it!!

How about looking at it another way. What if a say band director/teacher was leading kids in a morman/muslim/hindu prayer prior to a test etc. How many parents would be up there in a NY minute to complain? How many would question their kids on exactly what was said? I am all for prayer and religious beliefs but to me it is a private issue being made public in a public school?

Overzealous???

Are you!? :blink:

So far today you have questioned my religion, job, political affiliation etc just because I don't agree with you or a school board for violating a federal law. You and others have called people names for the same thing. Bottom line is I am a Baptist Republican that doesn't agree with you so you can stop the name calling. Let me know if you want to continue the name calling and we can find some place for you to attempt it in person.

I have been to several games this season where there was a prayer before the game. I was even at a Junior College game that there was a prayer said.

The Congress has a prayer before each session but we in the general public can not say a prayer. Winnsboro has done it for the past several years and it is led by a member of the student body of Winnsboro High School. Here is a sample of the prayer that is uttered"

Dear Fatther, We come to you tonight thanking you for the blessings that you have bestowed on us. Lord, we ask that you grant safety to the players and fans in tonight's game. Keep them free from injury and grant the fans safety as they travel back to their homes. We also pray for our troopls. Amen."

What is offensive about this prayer?

I dont think you understand that when an ISD takes Federal funds they become a Governemental body. Why do you think ISD follow NCLB? Its because that accept Federal Funding in order to pay the bills.

Im sorry if that is to hard to understand.

Oh, I understand completely. Once again you have misinterpreted what I have said. You may want to go back and read it, by the way. The government has NO right to restrict my freedom of religion, no matter where I practice it, whether it be at a football game, the state capitol, or even in the halls of the Supreme Court! If more people will stand up for this right, and not let people like you misinterpret the rights given to me by the Constitution's 1st Amendment, then we could put this stupid argument to rest, and our country would be better off. If we continue to let your ilk say what our rights are, instead of the Constitution, we will become a country under tyranny just like hundreds of countries before this one. Slowly, but surely, we are having our rights stripped from us by the government. NOW is the time to stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

So far today you have questioned my religion, job, political affiliation etc just because I don't agree with you or a school board for violating a federal law. You and others have called people names for the same thing. Bottom line is I am a Baptist Republican that doesn't agree with you so you can stop the name calling. Let me know if you want to continue the name calling and we can find some place for you to attempt it in person.

No. I've asked you questions... big difference. You are hilarious though, sport. :whome:

Good Grief Sports. Now that is overzealous for sure!!

Get over yourself and quit acting like your some tough guy. This is a message board for Christ sake!

I will break this down as simply as I can.

#1 Union Hill ISD accepts State and Federal funds in order to run their school district.

#2 The Federal government is prohibited from promoting one religion over any others.

#3 By accepting Federal funds UH ISD must follow the same rules the Federal Government must, because they are now an extension of the Federal government.

#4 UH ISD has now allowed one religious group to pray at a school function thus giving it preferential treatment over all other religions. UH ISD has just violated the 1st amendment of the Bill of Rights.

UH ISD can now do two things in order to get back in compliance:

#1 Stop accepting Federal funds or

#2 Stop promoting one religion over all others.

I really dont understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

I will tell you why, you do NOT have a clear uderstanding of the Law. Public Prayer is not a violation of Federal or State law, and the TEA out lines guide ines and the specific State and Federal cases cites.

And just exactly where are those funds extracted from? Taxpayers! State and local tax dollars and off course our federal tax dollars. Local districts should be run by the respective States and local districts.

I applaude UH in the endeavor and wish it would spread to other schools. :happy65:

Here is my concern. In a small school district like UH a law suit could have a devastating effect. In today's world, just how long will it be until somebody files a civil lawsuit against the school for violating their rights.

We can debate the issue to death but the fact is the Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue. Prayer at school is considered a violation of the First Amendment. The school will lose. I just wonder if it is responsible management of the school's future to take this stand. I'm all for it, but I'm glad its not me who will answer the question "Why did they have to shut down the school at Union Hill?"

Somebody will file a lawsuit! If someone will sue McDonald's for too hot coffee, you know someone will jump on this eventually. Maybe not a resident of UH, but a visiting fan.

A simple prayer to God does not exclude any religion.

If a Jew says, "God be with us."

If a Christian says, "God be with us."

If a Muslim says, "God be with us."

It doesn't really matter because the prayers are all to your personal God.

i did do alot of research and even in the santa fe case money wasn't involved in the lawsuit they just had to quit doing the prayer!! i do not,did not and was hoping not to offend,upset,anger and or bother anyone. i stand by my decision to fight for this and in the prayer last night when i said amen it was like we scored a touchdown because everyone said AMEN!!! if someone does end up complaining then i guess we probably will have to stop but until then we are going to keep praying!!