UNION HILL SCHOOL BOARD APPOVES PRAYER

BULLDOGBACKER1

Am I Republican? I know I'm conservative... Are you saying you won't tolerate my intolerance? :w00t:

BTW... Didn't you help create the sub-prime lending crisis? I hope it is YOU that can sleep at night.

So every banker/mortgage person created this mess? I have been doing this for over 8 years and have never had a family get their home foreclosed on (not that it couldn't happen someday)! If the loan didn't make "sense" I didn't do it. Luckily the market in East Texas i fairly stable so far.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing this for over 8 years and have never had a family get their home foreclosed on (not that it couldn't happen someday)! If the loan didn't make "sense" I didn't do it. Luckily the market in East Texas i fairly stable so far.

Good for you. I retract my statement. :thumbsup:

Dear Bill of Rights,

Im sorry.

Runthebone

Runthebone... the Bill of Rights says everyone has a freedom of religion, speech, etc. That means if the school district wants prayer, that is their freedom of religion. Maybe a disclaimer before the prayer should be "You dont have to pray if you dont want to." Or something like "If you just cant stand to hear prayer show up at 7:30 instead of 7:00.

I "no" my constitution, I "new" it when I could speel not guud and when I could spell well. If you "new" your consititution you would understand that establishing a religion is give one religion prefence over all others. Kinda like UH ISD just did.

I'm glade you know your constitution runthebone. What was meant by the 1st amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court, and many say incorrectly in the past when dealing with prayer in school or at sporting events. So let’s look at what the 1st amendment says regarding this.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;...

Is this a law being made to respect an establishment of religion? Or does this restriction prohibit the free exercise thereof? Many believe that the second part of the 1st amendment dealing with religion is often ignored. That is evidenced by this clause being named by most experts and even the court as the "establishment clause". Regardless of what your feelings are about this and if you consider prayer at games as pushing another's religion on others, it comes down to what the constitution says. My personal opinion is that the courts have gone overboard on this interpretation. But what you say is what courts have held in the past. But this Supreme Court is a different court and if this issue is brought before them again it could very well end up with a different outcome.

Now, if you want to argue more details about this on why it should be banned or whatever your position is then lay it out for all to hear, b/c also as part of the 1st amendment you are entitled to the right of freedom of speech. And before you start attacking me too much on what I say be sure to back up what you are saying, I'm a practicing attorney and enjoy this almost as much as Texas High School Football.

I'm glade you know your constitution runthebone. What was meant by the 1st amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court, and many say incorrectly in the past when dealing with prayer in school or at sporting events. So let's look at what the 1st amendment says regarding this.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;...

Is this a law being made to respect an establishment of religion? Or does this restriction prohibit the free exercise thereof? Many believe that the second part of the 1st amendment dealing with religion is often ignored. That is evidenced by this clause being named by most experts and even the court as the "establishment clause". Regardless of what your feelings are about this and if you consider prayer at games as pushing another's religion on others, it comes down to what the constitution says. My personal opinion is that the courts have gone overboard on this interpretation. But what you say is what courts have held in the past. But this Supreme Court is a different court and if this issue is brought before them again it could very well end up with a different outcome.

Now, if you want to argue more details about this on why it should be banned or whatever your position is then lay it out for all to hear, b/c also as part of the 1st amendment you are entitled to the right of freedom of speech. And before you start attacking me too much on what I say be sure to back up what you are saying, I'm a practicing attorney and enjoy this almost as much as Texas High School Football.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZinger :thumbsup:

It is people like you that make a lot of people ashamed to be Republican now a days. People like you are the reason "the real Republicans" are going to be on the short end next month. Keep spreading the hatred and intolerance you have on Smoaky if it helps you sleep at night.

Who's being intolerant here? It's those people that don't want others to practice their freedom of religion that are being intolerant! I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican, anyone that restricts my rights is the one who is being truly intolerant! It's your prerogative to vote for whoever you want next month, no matter how misguided it may be. The REAL hatred and intolerance is being spread by the side that's whining about our praying. So I ask you, WHO'S BEING INTOLERANT HERE?

I'm glade you know your constitution runthebone. What was meant by the 1st amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court, and many say incorrectly in the past when dealing with prayer in school or at sporting events. So let’s look at what the 1st amendment says regarding this.

If you were a laywer (which I have my doubts) you would know that the Supreme Courts job is to make interpretations of the Constitution. I sugest all the people in this thread do a google search on Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe.

Who is zinging now?

If you go back and read my first post I asked that very question. If they are going to rotate what religon is going to lead prayer every week then I would have no problems with. However, I dont think that will be the case.

Just so you will know a school that I went to in the 80s had prayer at the games and yes we did rotate the person leading the prayer but to me being baptist it doesnt matter who leads the prayer because we are all praying to the same God.

If you were a laywer (which I have my doubts) you would know that the Supreme Courts job is to make interpretations of the Constitution. I sugest all the people in this thread do a google search on Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe.

Who is zinging now?

You make a great point.....you said, "Supreme Courts job is to make interpretations of the Constitution".

Too bad it's not written in stone in the first place, instead of having flawed men making interpretations, then you might have an arguement. :thumbsup:

Can I get a Zing?

Alright I got a question for you intelligent know it all's now. Whats the difference in praying at a football game and a high school graduation. Ir seems like alot of people are making a deal out of praying at a football game and every graduation I have ever been to they prayed twice and I have never heard anyone complain about that.

Alright I got a question for you intelligent know it all's now. Whats the difference in praying at a football game and a high school graduation. Ir seems like alot of people are making a deal out of praying at a football game and every graduation I have ever been to they prayed twice and I have never heard anyone complain about that.

Sir, you have crossed the line. DOn't you dare bring academics into a football/God conversation. Who do you think you are? :thumbsup:

You make a great point.....you said, "Supreme Courts job is to make interpretations of the Constitution".

Too bad it's not written in stone in the first place, instead of having flawed men making interpretations, then you might have an arguement. :thumbsup:

Can I get a Zing?

So because you disagree with the current interpretation on this issue the Supreme Court are flawed men? If they switched to your side they would be right tho correct?

Who is zinging now?

The Supreme Courts job is not to make interpretations of the law it is to enforce the law

Santa Fe ISD vs Doe adresses both. I really think yall need to google it.

Dear Thomas Jefferson,

You feared this would happen and it has. The government is restricting us as taxpaying, free Americans to practice our religious freedoms promised to us by the Constitution's 1st Amendment. Those persons who choose not to believe in Christianity, or any other entity, have misinterpreted the Constitution, therefore they have turned your words around to suit their owned misguided belief system, or lack thereof. What's worse is the government is sponsoring it. It's tantemount to treason in my opinion. These restrictions the government is putting on my Brethren and myself is akin to establishing a GOVERNMENT SPONSORED RELIGION of paganism, agnosticism, or atheism, of which I want no part of. For those people responsible, I just pray that somehow they become enlighted to what this country has always, and still should, stand for. I truly apologize for those persons who are not enlightened.

Sincerely,

blackflag79

Im quoting this so you cant edit it later.

You may now leave this discussion.

or what you will do your best to make me look like an idiot. I hope you burn in hell you freak. I hope they kick me off of this sight because I am tired of jerks like you. Just because you speak louder and use bigger words does not make you the voice of the people. lets put it to a vot. all in favor of school prayer say I