StingRay

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get one right every other year. lol

Sabine dropped their 1st game of the year against Hardin Jefferson 58-45. Kids played hard we had them down 18-7 eo 1st and 30 to 23 at half. We got into tons of foul trouble in the 1st half (I will never complain about WO gym officiating again lol) and they were the ones pressing. We went cold middle of 3rd quarter and couldn't buy many buckets. Defense stepped up and kept us in the game. 4 pt game with 3 and change left and 6 point game under 2. HJ made their free throws down the stretch. Hopefully we can take care of business and get another shot at them in the championship game.

Scores I found from District. Looks like district had a pretty good showing in tourneys this week. Congrats to WO for 2nd place finish, Harmony for their tourney title, Harleton 2nd place and ND for their consolation trophies. I know it was hard for the Sabine kids to not bring home a trophy but I think the experience of HJ tourney will help them down the road. Down south was nice but it is good to be home lol

From Longview News Journal:

LAST MAN STANDING: WO-Stark 61, Sabine 57 (2 OT)

SOUR LAKE - The Sabine Cardinals dropped a pair of close games on the final day of the Hardin Jefferson Last Man Standing Marathon.

The Cardinals fell in double overtime to West Orange-Stark and then fell for the second time in the tournament to Hardin Jefferson, 64-62.

Against West Orange-Stark, Colton Kirk and 16 points, Noah Jackson 11, Josh Montana 10 and Tyler Woodrell and Jacob Kenna nine apiece.

Against Hardin Jefferson, Kirk had 17, Jackson 16, Kenna 13 and Woodrell eight. Montana had 10 rebounds, and Kirk dished out eight assists.

Kirk and Jackson were named to the all tournament team.

Sabine, which finished fourth in the tournament, will host Malakoff on Tuesday.

HARLETON TOURNAMENT: Harmony 56, Harleton 41

HARMONY - Jade Bess scored 16 points, and the Harmony Eagles built a big lead early en route to a 56-41 win over host team Harleton in the title game of the Harleton Tournament on Saturday.

Tanner Beattie scored 13 points in the loss for Harleton (6-4).

Harmony (9-1) will take on Mineola at 7 p.m. Thursday in the opening round of the Hawkins Tournament.

REDWATER TOURNAMENT: New Diana 50, Hooks 43

REDWATER - The New Diana Eagles went 2-1 in the Redwater Tournament over the weekend, closing things out with a 50-43 win over Hooks in the consolation finals on Saturday.

Eric Dixon scored 20 points and All-Tournament selection Bo Yarbrough had 14 for the Eagles (6-6).

In the tournament opener, Yarbrough had 26 points and Dixon 21 in a 65-63 overtime loss to Dekalb. The Eagles bounced back to hammer the Queen City JV, 62-8, with Andy Hounsel scoring 13 points and Dixon 12.

The Eagles will visit Spring Hill on Friday.

Hallsville's Larry Nesbitt went off on the White Oak Roughnecks and came away with the Gorman McCracken Hoopfest's Most Valuable Player award on Saturday.

The 5-11 senior guard scored 15 of his 16 points in the second half as the Bobcats made up an eight-point halftime deficit en route to a 66-58 win over the Roughnecks in the championship game the tournament.

The Bobcats (7-3) equaled their first-half point production (21) in an eight-minute span to carry a 42-40 lead into the fourth period.

"They controlled us in the first half, kept us from getting many good looks," Hallsville head coach Darrin Gleghorn said. "We couldn't get anything easy off their half-court defense. Larry didn't play particularly well in the first half and we challenged him."

Nesbitt responded by converting three of Hallsville's seven 3-pointers.

Playing in its second Gorman McCracken championship game in the last three years, Hallsville outscored White Oak (5-5) 21 to 11 in the third quarter, and 24-18 in the fourth.

Spencer Horn followed the lead of Nesbitt with 15 points to earn himself a place on the all-tournament team. Chase Jordan converted three 3-pointers to finish with nine.

White Oak's Jackson McCurdy scored a game-high 18 points and was an all-tournament pick. He was followed by Trevor Wait (13).

The Roughnecks came away with a 34-25 edge on the boards. Taylor Goll led with 14. Wait had eight rebounds, three assists and seven steals.

Cole Christy paced Hallsvile on the boards with eight rebounds. Nesbitt had six and Horn five.

Hallsville fell behind and trailed by as many as eight points, making only 2 of 15 shots from the field in the second quarter.

The contest was tied at 42, then again at 52 and 56, and the lead changed hands three times down the stretch, the last being at 56 with just 3:47 left to play.

The Roughnecks play their annual Alumni Game on Tuesday before participating in the West Rusk Tournament next weekend. Hallsville visits Bullard on Tuesday before participating in the Tatum Tournament next weekend.

I also saw Frankston beat Winona 50 to 19.

Scores I found from District. Looks like district had a pretty good showing in tourneys this week. Congrats to WO for 2nd place finish, Harmony for their tourney title, Harleton 2nd place and ND for their consolation trophies. I know it was hard for the Sabine kids to not bring home a trophy but I think the experience of HJ tourney will help them down the road. Down south was nice but it is good to be home lol

From Longview News Journal:

LAST MAN STANDING: WO-Stark 61, Sabine 57 (2 OT)

SOUR LAKE - The Sabine Cardinals dropped a pair of close games on the final day of the Hardin Jefferson Last Man Standing Marathon.

The Cardinals fell in double overtime to West Orange-Stark and then fell for the second time in the tournament to Hardin Jefferson, 64-62.

Against West Orange-Stark, Colton Kirk and 16 points, Noah Jackson 11, Josh Montana 10 and Tyler Woodrell and Jacob Kenna nine apiece.

Against Hardin Jefferson, Kirk had 17, Jackson 16, Kenna 13 and Woodrell eight. Montana had 10 rebounds, and Kirk dished out eight assists.

Kirk and Jackson were named to the all tournament team.

Sabine, which finished fourth in the tournament, will host Malakoff on Tuesday.

HARLETON TOURNAMENT: Harmony 56, Harleton 41

HARMONY - Jade Bess scored 16 points, and the Harmony Eagles built a big lead early en route to a 56-41 win over host team Harleton in the title game of the Harleton Tournament on Saturday.

Tanner Beattie scored 13 points in the loss for Harleton (6-4).

Harmony (9-1) will take on Mineola at 7 p.m. Thursday in the opening round of the Hawkins Tournament.

REDWATER TOURNAMENT: New Diana 50, Hooks 43

REDWATER - The New Diana Eagles went 2-1 in the Redwater Tournament over the weekend, closing things out with a 50-43 win over Hooks in the consolation finals on Saturday.

Eric Dixon scored 20 points and All-Tournament selection Bo Yarbrough had 14 for the Eagles (6-6).

In the tournament opener, Yarbrough had 26 points and Dixon 21 in a 65-63 overtime loss to Dekalb. The Eagles bounced back to hammer the Queen City JV, 62-8, with Andy Hounsel scoring 13 points and Dixon 12.

The Eagles will visit Spring Hill on Friday.

Hallsville's Larry Nesbitt went off on the White Oak Roughnecks and came away with the Gorman McCracken Hoopfest's Most Valuable Player award on Saturday.

The 5-11 senior guard scored 15 of his 16 points in the second half as the Bobcats made up an eight-point halftime deficit en route to a 66-58 win over the Roughnecks in the championship game the tournament.

The Bobcats (7-3) equaled their first-half point production (21) in an eight-minute span to carry a 42-40 lead into the fourth period.

"They controlled us in the first half, kept us from getting many good looks," Hallsville head coach Darrin Gleghorn said. "We couldn't get anything easy off their half-court defense. Larry didn't play particularly well in the first half and we challenged him."

Nesbitt responded by converting three of Hallsville's seven 3-pointers.

Playing in its second Gorman McCracken championship game in the last three years, Hallsville outscored White Oak (5-5) 21 to 11 in the third quarter, and 24-18 in the fourth.

Spencer Horn followed the lead of Nesbitt with 15 points to earn himself a place on the all-tournament team. Chase Jordan converted three 3-pointers to finish with nine.

White Oak's Jackson McCurdy scored a game-high 18 points and was an all-tournament pick. He was followed by Trevor Wait (13).

The Roughnecks came away with a 34-25 edge on the boards. Taylor Goll led with 14. Wait had eight rebounds, three assists and seven steals.

Cole Christy paced Hallsvile on the boards with eight rebounds. Nesbitt had six and Horn five.

Hallsville fell behind and trailed by as many as eight points, making only 2 of 15 shots from the field in the second quarter.

The contest was tied at 42, then again at 52 and 56, and the lead changed hands three times down the stretch, the last being at 56 with just 3:47 left to play.

The Roughnecks play their annual Alumni Game on Tuesday before participating in the West Rusk Tournament next weekend. Hallsville visits Bullard on Tuesday before participating in the Tatum Tournament next weekend.

I also saw Frankston beat Winona 50 to 19.

You seem to know basketball and care about all kids. It is nice to have someone respect all programs in northeast texas. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Sports is our (Sabine) resident bball guru...lol He knows the game and is usually pretty objective with his observations concerning area competition.

Sorry I wasn't able to make the trip south to see our boys battle, JJ. The girls won the Mineola Tourney! I wondered how they'd fare this year without Sam.

Good job Cards & Lady Cards!

They start counting for the girls tomorrow night!

Sports is our (Sabine) resident bball guru...lol He knows the game and is usually pretty objective with his observations concerning area competition.

Sorry I wasn't able to make the trip south to see our boys battle, JJ. The girls won the Mineola Tourney! I wondered how they'd fare this year without Sam.

Good job Cards & Lady Cards!

They start counting for the girls tomorrow night!

Girls are playing very well. They brought back a seasoned experienced group and with the drop to 2A I figured we would do well. They have a lot of girls contributing. I originally thought they would finish behind Harmony but the way they are playing I expect they have to be the favorites going into district play.

You know buzzer beaters are great but when they happen to your team they are kind of rough! lol

Games I found scheduled for this week concerning district teams. I couldn't find Union Groves info so if anyone has it please post.

16th

WO vs Alumni (does this count against your game limits? I always wondered)

Harleton vs Big Sandy

Malakoff at Sabine

Pleasant Grove at Winona

EF at Gary

18th

Harleton vs Leverettes Chapel

19th

New Diana at Spring Hill

Tourneys 18-20th

Sabine at Sabine/West Rusk Tourney

WO at Sabine/West Rusk Tourney

Harmony at Hawkins Tourney

UG vs James Bowie Thursday at 4

Winona vs Beckville Thursday at 5:30

Harmony vs Mineola Thursday at 7

This is all at the Hawkins tournament. Does anyone have any info on Mineola? I know Hawkins beat them earlier in the year and we have beat Hawkins 3 times now but that doesn't really mean anything.

I don't quite know what you mean by game limits...but I know the alumni game does count on the record and will be recorded as a win or a loss either way & thats the way it's been every year. Pretty much stinks when you get a loss on your record by your own buddies. Anyway, this year's alumni game should be pretty hilarious :happy65: Hopefully stamina won't be too big of a factor for the alumni and it will be a good game all the way through :bounce: Look for some show stoppin dunks & killer finger rolls on the alumni's end during warmups :clap:

Haha if Sabine wasn't playing tonight I would go watch the white oak alumni game. That should be interesting. Has the alumni ever won?

Haha yes, the alumni won by 4pts last year in a barn burner...and back in 2005 the alumni won again by 1. That year (2005) the alumni were loaded with the boys from the 2004 team...guys like Chase Pullen, Derek Yagle, Mark Rayson, & Ernest Sanders. Not to mention all the others. Needless to say, sometimes playing the alumni is as good of competition as the high school team has seen all year and sometimes better. Should be a fun game tonight :thumbsup:

Tonights Sabine boys game with Malakoff has been cancelled. Malakoff sighted weather as the reason. Good thing they don't live up north or they would never get to play a game. If your afraid to play just say it don't find an excuse. 2nd cancellation we have had this year.

Mcleod dropped out of this weekends tourney TODAY also. Is there no accountability/responsibility any more. Let a team try to drop out of a football game they scheduled that week (never would happen). Really Really sad!!!!!!!!!!

Haha yes, the alumni won by 4pts last year in a barn burner...and back in 2005 the alumni won again by 1. That year (2005) the alumni were loaded with the boys from the 2004 team...guys like Chase Pullen, Derek Yagle, Mark Rayson, & Ernest Sanders. Not to mention all the others. Needless to say, sometimes playing the alumni is as good of competition as the high school team has seen all year and sometimes better. Should be a fun game tonight :thumbsup:

I played with all of those guys. We always had fun together

Tonights Sabine boys game with Malakoff has been cancelled. Malakoff sighted weather as the reason. Good thing they don't live up north or they would never get to play a game. If your afraid to play just say it don't find an excuse. 2nd cancellation we have had this year.

Mcleod dropped out of this weekends tourney TODAY also. Is there no accountability/responsibility any more. Let a team try to drop out of a football game they scheduled that week (never would happen). Really Really sad!!!!!!!!!!

Weak take, sports. Malakoff & Mcleod probably have legit reasons for pulling out. Besides, I didn't see anyone "drag up" from a football game with Sabine... :thumbdown:

McCleod is playing in another tourney, no legitamate reason other than not much class, should have filled their obligations, have totally screwed up the brackets not to mention t-shirts etc...... i am sorry, been doing this almost 20 years never seen anyone drop out the monday of the tourney.

Weak take, sports. Malakoff & Mcleod probably have legit reasons for pulling out. Besides, I didn't see anyone "drag up" from a football game with Sabine... :thumbdown:

First who would cancel a football game with Sabine lol. 2nd that is my point other than hurricanes when is the last time you saw a football game cancelled? No football AD is going to let that happen but when it comes to basketball there seems to be a "who cares" type attitude that is in my opinion unacceptable!!!!!!!

First who would cancel a football game with Sabine lol. 2nd that is my point other than hurricanes when is the last time you saw a football game cancelled? No football AD is going to let that happen but when it comes to basketball there seems to be a "who cares" type attitude that is in my opinion unacceptable!!!!!!!

He is right!