Preseason TABC state basketball rankings

snuffy

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mrrightside idk what team u saw. WO won district last year in a pretty tough district and return 4 of the 5 starters. the only reason sabine got any recognition last year was because they played a bunch of nobodys and cupcakes. thats how they came in to district with such a good record and ended up getting 3rd.

Technically you only have 3 starters back losing your 6'10" kid and your best shooter. Sabine actually finished tied for 2nd with Gilmer and went to the playoffs as the runner up (and might I add actually won a playoff game unlike somebody I know lol). You might want to go back and look at the schedules again for last year WO played just about the same teams as Sabine. WO will be good but try showing a little respect for your competition or it could end up like EF/WO in football or worse!!!!!

yes those are tough losses but kids will step up and take the role. and yes Sabine will be pretty good this year too. no they did not play almost the same teams last year. WO had a much tougher schedule against Jefferson, Rivercrest and others while yall played games like the Alpine tourney.....

yes those are tough losses but kids will step up and take the role. and yes Sabine will be pretty good this year too. no they did not play almost the same teams last year. WO had a much tougher schedule against Jefferson, Rivercrest and others while yall played games like the Alpine tourney.....

At least they beat a team that is in the poll last year (Frankston). Are you going to call our pre district schedule this year cream puff too. Not that they get to play many games with all the district games.

Nov. 18th Clarksville

Nov. 21st Como-Pickton Tourney

Nov. 24th Carthage

Nov. 25th Hallsville

Dec. 9th Como-Pickton

Dec. 11-13th Hardin-Jefferson Tourney

Dec. 16th Malakoff

Dec. 18-20th Last Man Standing Tourn. JV/V TBA Home

Dec. 30th Gladewater

Jan. 2nd Harleton JV/V 6:00 Home

Jan. 6th Harmony JV/V 6:00 There

Jan. 9th Elysian Fields JV/V 6:00 Home

Jan. 13th New Diana JV/V 6:00 There

Jan. 16th White Oak F/JV/V 5:00 Home

Jan. 20th Union Grove JV/V 6:00 There

Jan. 23rd Winona JV/V 6:00 Home

Jan. 27th Harleton JV/V 6:00 There

Jan. 30th Harmony JV/V 6:00 Home

Feb. 3rd Elysian Fields JV/V 6:00 There

Feb. 6th New Diana JV/V 6:00 Home

Feb. 10th White Oak F/JV/V 5:00 There

Feb. 13th Union Grove JV/V 6:00 Home

Feb. 17th Winona JV/V 6:00 There

We will worry about the rankings at the end of the season. Preseason polls prove nothing other than who politics the best lol!! I think it is nice that WO has all that pressure and a big target on their back!!!!!!!

Right Laneville in 1A ,dv 2, did not make the top 10 last season and won state.

Cats69, I like the team spirit but you need to chill. White Oak won district last year, the district was terrible. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Nearly every single team was in a down year and rebuilding, including us. I think were really lucky to be ranked what we are...dropping from 3a to 2a is almost an automatic winning bonus in most sports but basketball aint one of em. Atleast not when you get a few rounds in the playoffs. I played ball at White Oak and I know what it's like to have to carry the bulls-eye of being ranked in the top 10..believe me it does more damage than good. Like some guy said earlier, losing Corman (6'10") who was the leading blocker in East Tx will be huge & if you think I'm wrong just wait and see how much his defensive prescence is missed come the season. The loss of Trevor Coppedge b/c of his neck injury will be huge as well. I'm very interested to see how the team responds to that and see what individuals step up because thats what it's going to take for us to be successful. With all that said, having one of the best coaches in the area is always a plus & Coach Boyett will have the boys primed and ready to do the best they can. I hope to see them at the regional tournament but like I said, lets not count our chickens before they hatch..kinda like we did against Elysian Fields the other day :thumbdown: As a former player and being very close with basically every current player on the team I can also say that it doesn't make anyone happy when we see someone blowing the team up to be something that they may or may not be. The season is a ways away there's no reason to blow us up that much lets just say we appreciate the recognition of the ranking. Last time a ton of White Oak classmates got on here and blew my team up to be something we weren't I got to hear chants of "OVER-RATED!" from the crowd for a steady 4 minutes as we lost our first game of the year. Just be aware of the bulls-eye our team already has..just try not to make it any bigger :thumbsup:

White Oak will be the team to beat in 2A Region 3, and Arp will finish third in their distric behind Frankston and West Rusk, Coach Keith lost his superstars all he has is Cooper, it will be a long for him,

I'll make sure to bump this thread after district is over. Michael wade played as our best guard at the end of last season. There are some JV guys from last year that could have easily been the first guys off the bench last season but coach keith wanted them to get more playing time than they would have on the varsity level. You'll understand when you see andrew brown this year. He could be the best basketball player to come through arp if he continues to grow, and that is saying a lot. If I recall though, west rusk lost the majority of their players that did any damage the only one back is braylon. Frankston will be good, but they tend to not show up and play in certain games. As far as coach keith goes, you already know that he is the best coach in this district and one of the best in the state. He'll have the team ready to go.

White Oak will be the team to beat in 2A Region 3, and Arp will finish third in their distric behind Frankston and West Rusk, Coach Keith lost his superstars all he has is Cooper, it will be a long for him,

2A Region 3 has more than White Oak. Let me ask you this White Oak played a certain AA team last year and got blown out twice. Once at home and once in the Spring Hill Tournament. So do not say that they are the team to beat. What about Kountze? They will not be bad either.

isn't Sabine supposed to awesome at basketball?

Um no they are not good at all. but White Oak on the other hand is going to be really good.

Returning 4 of the 5 straters probley means something good. The lost to one of the best players in east texas was huge but we have enough guys to fill that spot.

Going to state!!!

2A Region 3 has more than White Oak. Let me ask you this White Oak played a certain AA team last year and got blown out twice. Once at home and once in the Spring Hill Tournament. So do not say that they are the team to beat. What about Kountze? They will not be bad either.

I agree. Kountze is going to more than likely be the team to represent region 3 in austin. Their junior class is loaded, returning their best 2 players. Someone said devin bray moved to california, but I haven't seen any information on it yet. White oak won't be able to match the athletic ability of kountze or new waverly. WO might make the regional tournament but there is no way they advance to austin.

Cats69, I like the team spirit but you need to chill. White Oak won district last year, the district was terrible. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Nearly every single team was in a down year and rebuilding, including us. I think were really lucky to be ranked what we are...dropping from 3a to 2a is almost an automatic winning bonus in most sports but basketball aint one of em. Atleast not when you get a few rounds in the playoffs. I played ball at White Oak and I know what it's like to have to carry the bulls-eye of being ranked in the top 10..believe me it does more damage than good. Like some guy said earlier, losing Corman (6'10") who was the leading blocker in East Tx will be huge & if you think I'm wrong just wait and see how much his defensive prescence is missed come the season. The loss of Trevor Coppedge b/c of his neck injury will be huge as well. I'm very interested to see how the team responds to that and see what individuals step up because thats what it's going to take for us to be successful. With all that said, having one of the best coaches in the area is always a plus & Coach Boyett will have the boys primed and ready to do the best they can. I hope to see them at the regional tournament but like I said, lets not count our chickens before they hatch..kinda like we did against Elysian Fields the other day :thumbdown: As a former player and being very close with basically every current player on the team I can also say that it doesn't make anyone happy when we see someone blowing the team up to be something that they may or may not be. The season is a ways away there's no reason to blow us up that much lets just say we appreciate the recognition of the ranking. Last time a ton of White Oak classmates got on here and blew my team up to be something we weren't I got to hear chants of "OVER-RATED!" from the crowd for a steady 4 minutes as we lost our first game of the year. Just be aware of the bulls-eye our team already has..just try not to make it any bigger :thumbsup:

that District wasent terrible are u kidding me!! You go play teams we had to play? thats wat i thought.

This district we are in is going nto be the easiest district ever. our jv can beat most teams in our district no dout bout it!

that District wasent terrible are u kidding me!! You go play teams we had to play? thats wat i thought.

This district we are in is going nto be the easiest district ever. our jv can beat most teams in our district no dout bout it!

get a clue man.... it takes one guy to make a whole town look stupid and way to be the town moron everyone who reads any of this guys post dont pay any attention to him. :thumbdown:

Coach Keith isn't that good of a coach he has had talent his whole coaching career. Arp will strugle and Braylon Williams will dominant Arp in both games. and i said White Oak would be the team to beat, yes watch out for Kounzte, but also watch out for New Waverly

Coach Keith isn't that good of a coach he has had talent his whole coaching career. Arp will strugle and Braylon Williams will dominant Arp in both games. and i said White Oak would be the team to beat, yes watch out for Kounzte, but also watch out for New Waverly

Arp will have kids that have a lot of talent and if yall can beat them well that means yall won't have to many problem with anyone else.

You really should come over here and figure out what Arp has in football and basketball fore you come on hear shooting off at the mouth. On top of Cooper, Wade, Brown kid, and our 6'4" point that came into the district from j-ville, it is gonna be hard for anyone in our district to beat us. As far as you Coach Keith comment goes, is it possible just to throw talented kids on the court and say go play, and they'll play good sound basketball all by theirselves with no coach???? No I don't think so. Keith is one of the best in the state on the 2A level as far as coaching goes. That doesn't even scratch the surface of the kind of respect people have for him. You should be ashamed of yourself for even stating that about him. Was he a bad coach when WR had him? Or did your feelings get hurt cuz he jumped to the better program?

You are a fool. You want to compare talent in the district I played in when I was at White Oak? Lets do it.

My district (District 16-3A): Carthage, Tatum, Spring Hill, Center

Your District (District 15-3A): Gilmer, Sabine, Spring Hill, Gladewater, Mineola, Sabine

Hey, looks like your district was WAY tougher. Now it's my turn..are YOU kidding ME?

Btw, Tatum advanced all the way to the regional finals that year before finally losing to eventual state champion Van. Carthage came into district ranked #9 in the state, Spring Hill was was pretty good and Center was pretty dadgum good as well.

You guys played a WEAK mineola, a WEAK sabine, a WEAK gladewater, a DECENT at best Gilmer team, and arguably the worst Spring Hill team they've had in YEARS. Don't act like that district was hard at all and if you sincerely believe that it was then you prove you know nothing about basketball. Thanks.

Btw, What about East Chambers and Jefferson?? Aren't they supposed to be pretty good again this year? I know East Chambers is at the regional tournament it seems like every year and I heard Jefferson was bringing some key guys back from last year's team..just figured some people would be talking about them too..

You're obviously showing that you're still in high school. How about you go do some research about your school before you shoot off about him not being a good coach. Before he got there, West Rusk never had any people in the stands. During the early 90s, west rusk was the whipping boy in their 3a district with tatum, white oak, gladewater, and spring hill. He turned the program around and built it up to what it became. He led WR to the regional tournament in 96 or 97, 99, 2000, and 2001. You can say he had talent, but I can name several years where the guys on his team weren't special, yet they won the district championship. If you want to find out if he's a good coach, why don't you walk down the hallway and ask Coach Hunley who played and coached for him? Arp hadn't made the playoffs in several years and hadn't beat troup in almost 20 years in basketball before he became the coach at arp. He has gone 7-1 against troup and has 4 district championships since he has been here. He obviously is a great coach to have won a state championship and beat the #1 team in the state in kountze that same year. I'm sure he had something to do with that, holding a team to 57 points when they averaged 90 a game. He's a respectable man and gets the best out of his players. By the way, arp has a 27 game district winning streak. How has west rusk done since he has left?

Btw, What about East Chambers and Jefferson?? Aren't they supposed to be pretty good again this year? I know East Chambers is at the regional tournament it seems like every year and I heard Jefferson was bringing some key guys back from last year's team..just figured some people would be talking about them too..

East chambers lost their best 2 players. Tramain thomas was the best 2a player in the state and led ec to the regional tournament 4 times. They never could seal the deal. This year they will lose early in the playoffs because they are only returning a few players. Jefferson has some talent coming back, but most of their guys are good athletes and not necessarily basketball players. If you take away their ability to get to the rim, then its hard for them to score as arp proved in the regional finals last season.