The greatest wrestler of all time...

Five0pd310

I grew up with Mid-South Wrestling, and I still have a program with "Bruiser" Bob Sweetan's blood on it. We recently lost "Dr. Death" Steve Williams to cancer : http://wrestlingtruth.com/news/dr-death-st...ms-passes-away/

He was also an All-American football player at the University of Oklahoma. I liked Steve Williams even when he whipped up on Jim "Hacksaw" "SMU" Duggan. May God rest his soul :

He also indirectly contributed to the name change of Stone Cold Steve Austin, who broke into rasslin in the old DFW-Sportatorium days. His first matches were under the name Steve Williams from Austin, Texas.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some seem to have been forgotten from the old Mid-South

1. Magnum TA

2. Terry Taylor

3. The Masked Superstar

4. The Masked Assassin

5. The Rock and Roll Express

Anyone remember these guys?

masked assianssins were first well oil tag team from parts unknown

I'd like to see some of these MMA pansies (just kidding, by the way) take on this man during his hay day.

Rest in peace, JYD!!!

192739_main.jpg

Many, many years ago - sometime in 1985, when I was a patrol officer in Tyler, I stopped a limo speeding a little bit down one of our primary streets. When I got the limo stopped, the driver was very apologetic and said he was late getting his client to a show. The back window rolled down & there was the Junk Yard Dog!

He was the nicest guy & also apologized for the driver himself. He asked if I watched wrestling (which I did back then & had so since I was a little kid - even going over to Shreveport to see it live!)

10. Captain Redneck Dick Murdoch (id like to see some of todays wrestlers do a match with tobacco in their mouth)

9. Bruiser Brody

8. Missing Link (I still have nightmares about him)

7. Midnight Express

6. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

5. Madd Dogg Buzz Sawyer (best bleeder in the business)

4. Sting (midsouth Sting)

3. Arn Anderson

2. Road Warriors

1. Coon Froberg (he lived next door to me growing up and would take me back stage to all the matches, would still lace up the boots at age 65, was texas state champ several times and had great matches against Fitz Von Erich back in the day (like 1950's). Anyone ever see any Coon Froberg matches?

10. Captain Redneck Dick Murdoch (id like to see some of todays wrestlers do a match with tobacco in their mouth)

9. Bruiser Brody

8. Missing Link (I still have nightmares about him)

7. Midnight Express

6. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

5. Madd Dogg Buzz Sawyer (best bleeder in the business)

4. Sting (midsouth Sting)

3. Arn Anderson

2. Road Warriors

1. Coon Froberg (he lived next door to me growing up and would take me back stage to all the matches, would still lace up the boots at age 65, was texas state champ several times and had great matches against Fitz Von Erich back in the day (like 1950's). Anyone ever see any Coon Froberg matches?

"Dirty" Dick Murdoch from Waxahachie will always be one of my favorites. He was as tough as nails, and put yellow belly Buck Robley against him, it was chaos as a kid. I think this clip woke me up to wrestling :

What about Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Precious Paul Ellering, Paul Orndoff, The iron shiek, Buck Robey. Mid South was the best. I spent more hours than I'm proud of at the Municipal Auditorium Downtown S'port back in the day. Best Memory: Kabuki sprayed his "green mist" at Dick Murdock so Murdock gets a dip of snuff and spits it at him.....Classic. JYD was always the crowd fav. with his chains and Big Cat wasn't far behind. Pork chops Cash was another big time favorite. Fun times. Good memories. Thanks for bringing this one up.

BTW< Did anyone mention Jake "The Snake" Roberts.?

What about Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Precious Paul Ellering, Paul Orndoff, The iron shiek, Buck Robey. Mid South was the best. I spent more hours than I'm proud of at the Municipal Auditorium Downtown S'port back in the day. Best Memory: Kabuki sprayed his "green mist" at Dick Murdock so Murdock gets a dip of snuff and spits it at him.....Classic. JYD was always the crowd fav. with his chains and Big Cat wasn't far behind. Pork chops Cash was another big time favorite. Fun times. Good memories. Thanks for bringing this one up.

BTW< Did anyone mention Jake "The Snake" Roberts.?

He's #10 on my list. I liked him better than I did his dad Grizzly Smith. I remember the Municipal Auditorium quite well. Back in the day, Mid-South was on at 3 p.m. on Saturday, then again at Midnight after SNL. I'd always try to stay up with my brothers to watch it, but most of the time fell asleep. Then it came on again at 3 p.m. on Sunday, sometimes we missed that to watch the Cowboys play. It was on ABC KTBS channel 3, this was pre-cable.

This is a better tribute to "Dr. Death" Steve Williams : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxsq96UiuY .

He's #10 on my list. I liked him better than I did his dad Grizzly Smith. I remember the Municipal Auditorium quite well. Back in the day, Mid-South was on at 3 p.m. on Saturday, then again at Midnight after SNL. I'd always try to stay up with my brothers to watch it, but most of the time fell asleep. Then it came on again at 3 p.m. on Sunday, sometimes we missed that to watch the Cowboys play. It was on ABC KTBS channel 3, this was pre-cable.

This is a better tribute to "Dr. Death" Steve Williams : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxsq96UiuY .

yeah, Municipal Auditorium was quite a place back then. Now a days watch out. That's one of the worst parts of S'port. Remember the Bill Hanna Ford dealership close by? Many of his new cars recieved the brunt of some over zealous fans trying the "Thump" JYD style after watching some of the classics. We also played ball at the old SPAR stadium close by and enjoyed some great games against Midland Cubs, Jackson Mets, The old Captains (Pirates farm team back then). Saw Daryl Strawberry play many nights for the Jackson Mets and leave from the deepest part of the field 409 dead center with a 30+' flag pole that Strawberry cleared easily. Saw Tony Pena, Rob Deer, Robin Ventura, and many other greats. Alot of good "beer garden" brawls happened there.

• 4 weeks later...
^I like DiBiase way before he was "the Million Dollar Man" I always like Mid-South better than WWF or any of those large market circuits.

Remember "Ice Man" King Parsons?

and Kamala the Ugandan Giant ?

When I was a kid I loved wrassling. It was great entertainment for a kid. Do you remember "Gorilla" Monsoon ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpvN-YtmiQ . People still hate Muhammad Ali, but he played the part well.

Can't say that I remember him, at least not from Mid-south , he looks alot like an announcer from one of the other wrestling federations, his name was Geno or something like that.

Mid-South was always good about showing clips from other areas wrestling matches. They would show footage of Andre the Giant, and other matches around the world.

You know that when Paul Orndorff would make that circle on his forehead and folks looked in it, they were in some major trouble. lol...At least that's how I remember it anyways. I was like 9-10 years old.

I never will forget when the team of Ted Didiase and JYD were in a match and Ted Dibiase loaded that glove and hit JYD. Laid him out cold, that broke my heart man. This is bringing up some bad memories for me... lol

My vote is JYD aka Stagger Lee.... Wasn't nothing like it when "another one bites the dust" started playing.....

I grew up with Mid-South Wrestling, and I still have a program with "Bruiser" Bob Sweetan's blood on it. We recently lost "Dr. Death" Steve Williams to cancer : http://wrestlingtruth.com/news/dr-death-st...ms-passes-away/

He was also an All-American football player at the University of Oklahoma. I liked Steve Williams even when he whipped up on Jim "Hacksaw" "SMU" Duggan. May God rest his soul :

Who can ever forget the famous football helmet match