Clemson Has High Hopes

http://www.solidboom.com/

Kinda rag-tag in my opinion, but those Tigers sure are intent on getting him. I doubt Muschamp will give them the time of day while the 'Horns are still playing, but that gives Clemson ample time to develop a little bit better strategy than this site or blog or waste of webspace or whatever you may call it. From everything so far, I don't think UT has any worries, but it's a long time between now and next season so who knows what might happen by then.

Yes, Clemson and every other school in the country wants Muschamp, but I think Texas will do anything possible to keep him in Austin, even if that means offering him the program when Macks decides to step down from coaching

I'm not sure the will give him that job....i still believe that Applewhite is the next up and coming future Longhorn head coach.....IMO.......he is being groomed to take over the longhorns as we speak....

I'm not sure the will give him that job....i still believe that Applewhite is the next up and coming future Longhorn head coach.....IMO.......he is being groomed to take over the longhorns as we speak....

I disagree. Muchamp has been a defensive coordinator for 8 years now with a National Championship ring from LSU and a year with Nick Saban at Miami- a total of 13 years of coaching experience. Major Applewhite was an offensive coordinator for 2 years (Rice and Alabama). This is only his 4th year of coaching. I like Major Applewhite a lot, and if Macks going to be around another 5-8 years, then yes, I'd say Major might be the next choice. But right now, he's still a RB coach/Asst Head Coach (only because he's getting the same salary as he was at Bama). I believe Mack will be gone in 3 years and become the next AD when Deloss Dodds steps down. Will Muschamp is wanted all over the country. He's made a big impact on this team, and he will with recruiting. If Texas is smart, they'll try to keep him around as long as possible.

I'm not putting down Major, but he still needs a lot more experience. I could see him as offensive coordinator at Texas before he was a head coach, OC under Muschamp!

Losing Muschamp would be a blow to Texas...how many D Coordinators will that make in the past few years. If Muschamp stays, players from all over the nation will want to play defense at Texas. I like Applewhite....but don't base your belief on him being a great future HC at Texas because he was a popular player. If Texas feels mounting pressure on Muschamp to leave, I'd pay the guy for what he brings to Texas with the intent of possibly saying you're the heir apparent to Mack. Many teams today are doing just that. Everything has to fit...and does Will Muschamp not reflect the character of the state of Texas. Muschamp deserves a HCing job soon and it needs to be Texas. He's proven himself everywhere he's been. He'll be every short list. :notworthy:

Losing Muschamp would be a blow to Texas...how many D Coordinators will that make in the past few years. If Muschamp stays, players from all over the nation will want to play defense at Texas. I like Applewhite....but don't base your belief on him being a great future HC at Texas because he was a popular player. If Texas feels mounting pressure on Muschamp to leave, I'd pay the guy for what he brings to Texas with the intent of possibly saying you're the heir apparent to Mack. Many teams today are doing just that. Everything has to fit...and does Will Muschamp not reflect the character of the state of Texas. Muschamp deserves a HCing job soon and it needs to be Texas. He's proven himself everywhere he's been. He'll be every short list. :notworthy:

Did anyone notice on the FSU/NC State game last night how many "head coaches" FSU has?

Bobby Bowden-HC

Chuck Amato-Executive HC

Mickey Andrews-Associate HC

Jimbo Fisher-Future HC

Rick Trickett-Asst. HC

Based on the track record of recent Texas Assistants (Chizik, Robinson), why would Clemson have high hopes for him?

Going back further, can anybody name a Horn assistant that had success as a HC? There must be one but I am getting too old to remember stuff like that.

You have to consider that both took over poor programs. Chizik's Cyclones are still a work in progress since this is only his second season tehre. Tim Brewster had only one win in his first year at Minnesota last year, and now they're 6-1 with their only loss this season to Ohio State. That's a big turn around. Dick Tomey went out to San Jose State and he's had success there, turning the program around and taking them to their first bowl game since 1990.

If Texas wins the NC; Muschamp is gone.

NOT NECESSARILY. Chizik hung around after the NC. If Texas does win it all this year, Mack's gone after 2009. Before this season ever started everyone was talking about how the 2009 would be up there with the 2005 team. I still think Muschamp will be the next Texas head coach.

Gabehorns,

You indicate that Both Chizik and Robinson took over poor programs. Syracuse can hardly be considered poor. In addition to their outstanding tradition, they have a large alumni base and an attractive recruiting area. Furthermore, their record under Pasqualoni, this decade, prior to Robinson taking over was as follows:

2000 6-5

2001 10-3

2002 4-8

2003 6-6

2004 6-6

That record is far from poor, although by Syracuse standards, it is poor. Robinson has not only not succeeded, he has been a dismal failure.

The jury is still out on Chizik but it can be said that the road at Iowa State is more difficult than Baylor's. I can make a valid argument that Briles of Baylor has made more progress that Chizik. In fact, let us not forget that Iowa State did play in Bowl games in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005. Not a bad decade so far.

The media, and Texas fans in particular, get all caught up in Horn hysteria and assume anyone with Texas on their resume must be the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, as we have seen from recent results, you put those guys into situations where they do not have superior talent, and all of a sudden, the cannot duplicate the success or even recruit the same type of talent.

In a nutshell, when these guys are at Texas, they are geniuses and when they are someplace else, the Horn fans make excuses like poor program, bare cupboards, poor facilities etc.

Whomever the next coach is at Clemson, there is a good chance of having success as the program there is a far cry from being poor.

Muschamp will be back next year unless something drastic changes.

And even though I love him to death I think Tim Brewster might be the guy next in line to take over for Mack if he keeps winning at Minnesota. That guy can recruit and is quickly proving he can coach.

Either way I'd be happy with Muschamp (who I think is the next Bob Stoops) or Brewster.

I have a lot of familiarity with the Clemson program....by the way, their AD is from Longview.....Clemson is not Texas....not even close. Yes, they built a $40M football facility so the old-timers could talk about the past in luxury....but going to Clemson is a step (or two) down for a Coordinator from Texas.

The team you better look out for in recruiting Muschamp is the team wearing jailbird orange...Tennessee. But then, who knows if Fulmer is gone. This weekend will solidify Fulmer's timing for departure. If they lose, he's gone sooner than later because Tennessee knows they have to get in the hunt for a HC now.

Clemson needs to hire Bobby Johnson from Vandy. He's done a really good job at that program and is a native South Carolinan with a home still in the state.

Granted, I'm a Horn and don't want to see Muschamp leave, but if I'm an AD at a place like Tennessee or Auburn I'm looking at guys like Johnson or Brian Kelly (Cincinnati) or Lane Kiffin or Bronco Mendenhall or Chris Peterson. Current head coaches at smaller schools that are successful already. Major programs can't really afford to sit back and hope they get a hire right. They need to hire as close to a sure thing as they can, especially a place like Auburn that is going to have to deal with Saban and Alabama for a pretty long time.

Of course, after saying that I'd be more than happy for Deloss Dodds and Mack to work out a Jimbo Fisher type of deal with Muschamp where he ends up taking over whenever Mack retires or Mack moves up to AD himself.

As for Muschamp's recruiting, we really haven't seen a lot of it thus far this season. Most of the class was already pinpointed and getting worked on when he arrived. The two big names that he could help land are Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama (a longshot since there's rumors going around that he already has a roommate for the Tide) and Jarvis Jones, a Georgia LB. Both of them point to Muschamp as a major reason for looking at Texas and if he can help reel either of them in he'd had made his mark as far as I'm concerned.

In all honesty though, he doesn't get paid to recruit. Texas has guys like Oscar Giles, Bobby Kennedy, Major Applewhite, etc. to do the major legwork when it comes to recruiting. Muschamp makes his money building our defense into a nasty unit and shutting opponents down. For all I care he doesn't have to spend one second recruiting as long as his defense keeps getting better. But for the question, yes, he can recruit.

Muschamp is making enought money right now that he can be picky about his next job. I think Leach goes to Clemson.

I would LOVE to see this, but I'm just curious as to your reasoning. With the way Tech knows and runs his offense now, I would think the longer he stays at Lubbock, the harder it would be for him to leave. I guess that's where the money would come into play. Not saying I disagree with you by any means, I just haven't heard any indications of this and am particularly intrigued.

How 'bout that coach at Boise State...he's valued.

Per Clemson, I don't think much of an AD who allows the players to have an open mike with the press to poor mouth the former coach. Ole Terry Don normally shuts down the players when one of the players breaks the rules or commits a crime. However, he allowed them to poor mouth Bowden all week. :thumbdown:

Muschamp is making enought money right now that he can be picky about his next job. I think Leach goes to Clemson.

Leach wouldn't take the Clemson job unless the pay more than doubles his current contract. Leach is a West Coast guy and he gets everything he wants at Tech.

For those that think Leach will leave for Clemson.....NOT A CHANCE! He keeps coming closer and closer to winning the whole shooting match. Now after watching the Texas - Missouri game tonight, I imagine he has already gone to the drug store and bought a whole bottle of ant-acid. I suspect the looming date with Texas will keep him up for quite a few nights.

Look for Muschamp to be the heir to the throne so to speak. Applewhite will become the next OC when Davis hangs it up which I think will be the same year Brown retires.

For those that think Leach will leave for Clemson.....NOT A CHANCE! He keeps coming closer and closer to winning the whole shooting match. Now after watching the Texas - Missouri game tonight, I imagine he has already gone to the drug store and bought a whole bottle of ant-acid. I suspect the looming date with Texas will keep him up for quite a few nights.

Nah. The person you are talking about doing the all nighters is our DC, Ruffin McNeill.