BCS National Championship Scenario

Longhorn Fan

I am going to pose this question and somebody tell why it would or why it would not happen:

Lets say Texas Texas finishes unbeaten. Lets say Oklahoma does not lose another game. Lets say that Alabama takes one on the chin and lets say that Penn State does as well. If Oklahoma moves to #2, and that is where they sit after the Conference Championship games.........what happens?

Provided that they don't lose again and despite their relatively weak schedule the rest of the way, I think USC would mysteriously leapfrog the Sooners in order to avoid the rematch scenario. How's that for a conspiracy theory?

Of course a rematch in which OU wins by ten points or less would be yet another dagger in the legitimacy of the BCS system.

Provided that they don't lose again and despite their relatively weak schedule the rest of the way, I think USC would mysteriously leapfrog the Sooners in order to avoid the rematch scenario. How's that for a conspiracy theory?

Of course a rematch in which OU wins by ten points or less would be yet another dagger in the legitimacy of the BCS system.

I wouldn't call Tech and O$U relatively weak

Surely something would happen to where that wouldn't be the case. I don't think you should be able to play for a national championship if you aren't a conference champion. Florida is playing very well right now, if they win out (including the SEC championship) then I bet they would leapfrog OU the next week. But I really don't see this as a big concern because I highly doubt Penn St. loses. But I have seen stranger things.

Well I have looked at everybodies schedule and I am here to tell you that I would not be the least surprised if things get a Tide bit interesting in the coming weeks. I personally think that if Penn State played Alabama, the Tide would totally dominate this game. The Joe Pa factor has the media begging for Penn State to play in the BCS NCG. I myself think the scenario as I depicted earlier could very well happen. The only question I have is this. Is there a rule which prevents two teams from the same conference playing eachother in a BCS game?

I would have to agree that USC would jump the Sooners and rightfully so. I know a lot of people on here will not agree but USC would beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma too weak of a defense to play with USC.

Well I have looked at everybodies schedule and I am here to tell you that I would not be the least surprised if things get a Tide bit interesting in the coming weeks. I personally think that if Penn State played Alabama, the Tide would totally dominate this game. The Joe Pa factor has the media begging for Penn State to play in the BCS NCG. I myself think the scenario as I depicted earlier could very well happen. The only question I have is this. Is there a rule which prevents two teams from the same conference playing eachother in a BCS game?

There is not formal rule in writting but you can bet people would do everything possible to prevent that from happening. It is an unwritten rule.

A 1-loss OU team is a far better team than a 1-loss Penn State, Florida, Georgia, USC, or Alabama. Look how much stronger the Big 12 is this year than any other conference.

I don't think a 1-loss OU team is better than a 1-loss SEC team (e.g. Florida, Georgia or Alabama), especially given OU's history of choking in big games.

There is not formal rule in writting but you can bet people would do everything possible to prevent that from happening. It is an unwritten rule.

Texas wins out they are in.

I can see that with the way that Penn State has been playing on defense all season long and having going to Columbus and beat Ohio State will solidify their case. If they run the table, they are in.

If Alabama runs the table, they are in, and Penn State gets left out.

Then you have to consider the teams in NON BCS conferences that are still undefeated: Boise St, Utah, Tulsa and Ball St.

I can tell you right now that a Texas vs. OU scenario will not happen. Besides that, for some undefeateds, they are going to have to win and hope other teams lose or there's going to be a serious problem for the BCS Committee.

A 1-loss OU team is a far better team than a 1-loss Penn State, Florida, Georgia, USC, or Alabama. Look how much stronger the Big 12 is this year than any other conference.

IF:

Texas wins out and wins the Big 12 championship game,

Florida wins out and beats Alabama in the SEC championship,

Penn State loses,

OU wins out

Then

Texas plays Florida in the National Championship because a probable 5th ranked team beating a 2nd ranked team in the SEC championship will vault Florida to the #2 spot because OU didn't play in a championship game. Beating a #2 team is a quality win and will put them in the NC.

HOWEVER: IF

all the above IFs happen but Penn State wins out and is the Big 10 champion then its Texas vs. Penn State no question.

Without a Big 12 championship, OU is out. they need Texas and Tech both to lose the next two weeks.

I disagree. A one loss OU team can't beat Oklahoma State, also I do not believe they would beat Alabama, Florida or Georgia. They would struggle against LSU but would most probably win. People better look out for Florida, they are looking as if they have woke up and are back. If Florida gets past Georgia this week they will win out regardless of who or where they play.

Yes, I would agree this may finally be the Big 12's year. It's about time. Texas is very good, Oklahoma State is real good, and Oklahoma is good, strong but no defense and not a real good running game. If you put pressure and a lot of hits on OU’s QB he will fold. I do not think OU is an overly physical team; they are tough but not smash-mouth.

Tech....appears to be a good team but it still remains to be seen what they truly have. I think we will know in the next two weeks. I expect Texas will be them by about 24 points or more. However, Tech has been aided by a very weak schedule. They have beaten no currently ranked teams. Also, they have only beaten 1 D1 team with a winning record and that was Nebraska. At least Nebraska has beaten two D1 teams with a winning record, 5-3 San Jose state and Western Michigan.

OK State really looks strong. They played Texas a close game and that is saying something. They have beaten two D 1 Teams with winning records, Houston and MO. Although I criticized MO in regards to their schedule, I do think they are a good team especially offensively. Defensively, not much and no running game but beating them would still qualify as a quality win. OK St has beaten a current ranked opponent; this is something only two other teams in the Big 12 can claim. I think with 60 more seconds OSU would have beaten Texas.

Mo, when they actually beat at least two Division I teams with a winning records then maybe we will see. They have played two tough games and lost both. They have beaten one D1 Team with a winning record and that was Nebraska, see above. Also, MO has not beaten a currently ranked team and they got beat by the only two currently raked teams they have played.

Kansas is decent at best but no real threat. They need to be able to beat D1 teams with winning records. Kansas has not beaten a single D 1 team with a winning record and needless to say they have not beaten a currently ranked team. They have shown they have no defense or running game. Also, they are not physical team, MO is not physical either.

Even with all that, at this point in the season, as bad as I hate to say it, I would give a very slight nod to the Big 12 for having the 4 best teams. If you want to go 12 against 12 I would give the SEC a 7 – 5 split, 6 – 6 at worst against the Big 12. It really would come down to how you pair up the teams.

Wouldn't we like to see USC and Texas play in the NCG again. That was the best game ever when VY dominated USC's defense. It would be a good game if they happened to play. It will either be Penn State, Florida, or Alabama and Texas in the NCG. Given that UT beats Tech which theycant be taken too lightly. Although we are #1, gettin beat by a #8 team is not unheard of at all. Good luck Horns. Bring us another National Championship!!

Wouldn't we like to see USC and Texas play in the NCG again. That was the best game ever when VY dominated USC's defense. It would be a good game if they happened to play. It will either be Penn State, Florida, or Alabama and Texas in the NCG. Given that UT beats Tech which theycant be taken too lightly. Although we are #1, gettin beat by a #8 team is not unheard of at all. Good luck Horns. Bring us another National Championship!!

Not saying it can't happen, but the likelihood of another game as great as the UT/USC NC game in this decade is very low.

I'm thinking, UT/'bama for the NC.

If you put pressure and a lot of hits on OU’s QB he will fold.

what are you basing that on?

in what game, aside from Colorado has Bradford obviously folded in?

he is praised by any critic for his ability to keep his cool and stay focused in any situation

what are you basing that on?

in what game, aside from Colorado has Bradford obviously folded in?

he is praised by any critic for his ability to keep his cool and stay focused in any situation

Well, he seemed to go a little flat in the second half against Texas. However, they may not be fair to say. I may be given him all the blame when it was really the entire offense that became much less effective. I guess the half time adjustments by Texas had a lot to do with it. All I know is that I thought he was the top around and Texas made him look very ordinary. Colorado seemed to affect him too.

I’m certainly not saying he is a bad QB. I still think he is one of the better throwers around. He, like a lot of QB’s, doesn’t do as well when they are getting hit or flushed from the pocket. I’m sure you have seen him play more then I so I could be wrong. Don’t feel bad, usually when I say something about a team or player they is not overly positive during the week they usually come out and play really good just to prove me wrong. So look for him to play the game of his life this week.

I would have to agree that USC would jump the Sooners and rightfully so. I know a lot of people on here will not agree but USC would beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma too weak of a defense to play with USC.

Red, you are way off with this statement. OU would roll USC right now anytime, anywhere. Did you watch the USC vs Arizona game? Arizona.........are you serious Trojans!!!! Good grief!

Oklahoma State would roll them as well.

Red, you are way off with this statement. OU would roll USC right now anytime, anywhere. Did you watch the USC vs Arizona game? Arizona.........are you serious Trojans!!!! Good grief!

Oklahoma State would roll them as well.

Given recent history, I wouldn't bet on OU to "roll" anybody in a bowl game! LOL

Red Creek, you must not watch football or must be a homer to some other big 12 school...

Have you heard of TCU??? One of the most physical defenses in the nation... That school knocked around Bradford and he still beat them. Texas, another physical defensive school, knocked Bradford around and he STILL HAD RECORD NUMBERS! Cincinnati, host 4 defensive players that will likely go in the first or second rounds, couldn't hold Bradford...

Get your facts STRAIGHT before you come on here spouting off your opinion like that... Because just like everyone's rear-end... IT STINKS!

As for the actual thread...

Why can't it happen. OU would beat a Tech school that is in the top 10 and a O$U school that would be ranked in the top 25... Why would USC jump a school with a better non-conference and conference schedule?

I, for one, do not see it happening and will enjoy heading to Arizona to watch the Sooners play whomever in the Rose Bowl.

After OU's history of choking in BCS games, they should have the stipulation that they must finish undefeated to compete in a BCS game.

Seriously, everyone seems to be talking about the possibility of a Texas/OU rematch in the BCS national title game. In fact, as I sit here, Norm Hitzges is discussing it with a caller (Norm says Penn State, 'Bama and Florida would all have to lose and UT/OU win out for it to be a possibility and even then USC would still probably slide into BCS title game).

I don't see why this prospect is so fascinating. It's not going to magically force the NCAA to go to a playoff format; it will just be a rematch and rematches are boring.

I hope and pray that we are not forced to sit through a UT/OU national title game.