Poor Sportsmanship

CenTexDude

I can't believe what I witnessed tonight at the conclusion of the Kirbyville/San Augustine game tonight. Before the clock had even run out, the San Augustine players sprinted to the locker room and would not even shake hands with the Kirbyville team. I have been to a lot of games and have never seen this before. This shows a lack of class and leadership by the one in charge of the program. I feel sorry for the fine fans of San Augustine who had to witness this event. This should not be a reflection upon the team as a whole, the school or the community of San Augustine. BTW, congrats to Coach Alvarez, his staff and team on a fine game. This is a team that could go all the way in the playoffs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe what I witnessed tonight at the conclusion of the Kirbyville/San Augustine game tonight. Before the clock had even run out, the San Augustine players sprinted to the locker room and would not even shake hands with the Kirbyville team. I have been to a lot of games and have never seen this before. This shows a lack of class and leadership by the one in charge of the program. I feel sorry for the fine fans of San Augustine who had to witness this event. This should not be a reflection upon the team as a whole, the school or the community of San Augustine. BTW, congrats to Coach Alvarez, his staff and team on a fine game. This is a team that could go all the way in the playoffs.

Did you expect anything different.

I can\'t believe what I witnessed tonight at the conclusion of the Kirbyville/San Augustine game tonight. Before the clock had even run out, the San Augustine players sprinted to the locker room and would not even shake hands with the Kirbyville team. I have been to a lot of games and have never seen this before. This shows a lack of class and leadership by the one in charge of the program. I feel sorry for the fine fans of San Augustine who had to witness this event. This should not be a reflection upon the team as a whole, the school or the community of San Augustine. BTW, congrats to Coach Alvarez, his staff and team on a fine game. This is a team that could go all the way in the playoffs.

Did the whole team go to the lockerroom before shacking hands?? If so, then why would this not be a reflection upon the team as a whole or the school? This shows absolutley no class by the players or coaches and the whole community should be ashamed and demand answers from those that are in charge of the program.

Yea, but i bet you would feel dumb if you found out that someone told the San Augustine team that there was a bomb in the stadium, and they were just running for their lives!!!! How bout that?

dude, did the coaches sprint off with them? you mentioned the players, but not the coaches. i would really like to think this was kids caught up in an emotionally heated moment that haven't developed enough maturity to think things through. i would like to think the coaches were just as shocked and disgusted as you were, and this was a few bad apples creating a mob mentality on the sidelines. still no excuse for something like this to happen. but, i'm curious as to the thought process, and how the boys and/or coaches feel they can justify such actions.

Maybe the coach told his team, "Last one to the field house is a rotten egg."

lots of humorous possibilities of why the team ran off the field. i've even seen someone else on another website refer to it as classless. i don't know why i didn't think of this before, and i'm almost embarrassed that i didn't. guys.... last night was halloween!! they had to hurry and get their costumes on to go trick or treating!! they had already blown most of their night at the football game.

Facts: Their HC, players, and all coaches went to the locker room without shaking hands. The SA players started to line up and the HC ordered them all to the locker room.

SA Principal was very angry and upset with this poor display of sportsmanship by her school. She personally went to the KHS coaches and players shook their hands, congratulated them and apologized for the poor sportsmanship of her athletic program.

Something will definitely hit the fan over this!

Facts: Their HC, players, and all coaches went to the locker room without shaking hands. The SA players started to line up and the HC ordered them all to the locker room.

SA Principal was very angry and upset with this poor display of sportsmanship by her school. She personally went to the KHS coaches and players shook their hands, congratulated them and apologized for the poor sportsmanship of her athletic program.

Something will definitely hit the fan over this!

thanks for the scoop. i'm glad for the folks in sa that the young men on their football team were attempting to be good sports, but equally as sad for the folks in sa to have such leadership in their athletic program. i asked a teacher one time what she taught, and she said, "kids." she explained to me that she didn't teach math, or english, etc. she said her field of expertise was english, but she taught kids. sounds like the coaches are more worried about their field of expertise rather than the fact they are teaching/coaching kids.

I hate the fact that this happened... didnt go to the game but. Lynn Graves hates the Coach for Kirbyville., there is a lot of bad blood between the two.. I think he is a great coach but that was a classless move!

Maybe he was trying to prevent a fight from happening? If he already hates the other Coach, and more than likely that Coach hates him, and maybe there was a lot of trash talking between the 2 teams during the game....

Maybe he was trying to prevent a fight from happening? If he already hates the other Coach, and more than likely that Coach hates him, and maybe there was a lot of trash talking between the 2 teams during the game....

Could they not put their feelings aside for the benefit of the student athletes? What is this teaching the students that are under them?

Kirbyville does a lot of 'classless' things such as blowing the stupid diesel horns within' 20 feet of the SA band while they are warming up for halftime, but I know many of the coaches from K'ville and they are great men. The SA coach needs to 'man up' and get over his 'bad blood.' This is not the type of thing that young men need to see in their leaders. Senior night or not, their is a level of maturity that needs to be exercised.

Yeah I thought that was classless when they exited the field....along with the coaching staff!!!

Yes, I agree that maybe what the coach did was "classless" but you are not saying that blowing that horn while the SA band was preparing for halftime wasn't? The band had to stop playing and cover their ears. This was long before the game was over and the coach had done his thing. So, it was not a get back at you thing. Plus, the band hadn't done anything anyway. And when the guy that was blowing it was asked why, he said they shouldn't be there. Excuse me but it was 2:00 before halftime and that is where they enter the field. They were not bothering or doing anything that they were'nt suppose to do. Fortunetly, one of their coaches did recognize it and did apologize but the guy with the horn never stopped. And when the director looked at him he would wave and laugh. This is "classless". The band was very upset and a little shaken. You've got to realize, this band is made up of 7th through seniors. It was the first time they had ever gone up against Kirbyville. I would also like to know the whole story behind the coaches exit before destroying him. I'm not saying it would change the fact he was wrong but we might at least understand a little better if something went on that we don't know about. I know a lot of people didn't know about this band situation either until they found out the whole story. Now a lot of people are upset about that. There may be some kind of complaint filed on that.

Guest Shuckemup
Yes, I agree that maybe what the coach did was "classless" but you are not saying that blowing that horn while the SA band was preparing for halftime wasn't? The band had to stop playing and cover their ears. This was long before the game was over and the coach had done his thing. So, it was not a get back at you thing. Plus, the band hadn't done anything anyway. And when the guy that was blowing it was asked why, he said they shouldn't be there. Excuse me but it was 2:00 before halftime and that is where they enter the field. They were not bothering or doing anything that they were'nt suppose to do. Fortunetly, one of their coaches did recognize it and did apologize but the guy with the horn never stopped. And when the director looked at him he would wave and laugh. This is "classless". The band was very upset and a little shaken. You've got to realize, this band is made up of 7th through seniors. It was the first time they had ever gone up against Kirbyville. I would also like to know the whole story behind the coaches exit before destroying him. I'm not saying it would change the fact he was wrong but we might at least understand a little better if something went on that we don't know about. I know a lot of people didn't know about this band situation either until they found out the whole story. Now a lot of people are upset about that. There may be some kind of complaint filed on that.

Local legend says that the Kirbyville horn blower says, "You blow your horn...I'll blow mine." Complaint will be filed with the President no doubt.

I watched Commerce run off the field followed by their coaches after beating Eustace in 1997. Steve Lineweaver, now at Trinity, and his coaches also walked away from Chad Morris, now at Lake Travis, and his coaches. I don't know what his excuse was but that's all it was, an excuse. I can only imagine how they reacted when they lost.