Now that His 8 Years are almost up

TxBroadcaster

If the supply of oil was really being consumed at those prices, and it was or there would be evidence of inventory hoarding, then it doesn't make sense to blame those prices on financial investors who were neither supplying oil nor consuming oil.

I suppose you've crawfished on the blame for increased oil prices you previously had attempted to saddle speculators with. Oil speculators cannot materially affect prices if all they're doing is flipping futures contracts and not taking delivery (hoarding) of actual oil. You agreed oil speculators weren't removing oil from the market yet now you claim "people" were. Where were these "people" stashing their hoard-piles?

While your guru may have prepped you on this subject, he neglected to explain that if there is to be oil products (gasoline) on the streets, someone(refiners) has to take delivery of the oil at the current price ($147). I do not deny that world competition for supply played into the scenario. The part that speculators play when the futures are being auctioned, is pushing the price to artificial levels for a chance at unwarranted profits.

The only storage available to the public is at the pump. We did not stop going to work, or school or out to eat, until gasoline got to $4. It looked like it was not going to change.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that, despite being online last night, TT waited until no one else was online to post. Wonder why he has ceased to be available for debate, but only post after everyone else has signed off?

While your guru may have prepped you on this subject, he neglected to explain that if there is to be oil products (gasoline) on the streets, someone(refiners) has to take delivery of the oil at the current price ($147). I do not deny that world competition for supply played into the scenario. The part that speculators play when the futures are being auctioned, is pushing the price to artificial levels for a chance at unwarranted profits.

The only storage available to the public is at the pump. We did not stop going to work, or school or out to eat, until gasoline got to $4. It looked like it was not going to change.

Isn't it funny that TT assumes BluePirate had to be prepped for his response to TT's drivel, yet he expects us to take him as some kind of expert (I stopped short of calling him a professional) in the futures market?

"Unwarrented profits". Care to explain what that means, and why anyone should be prevented from making as much money as they want?

BTW precious, is it need for raw material or speculation that pushed the price of gasoline up?

I can't wait.

While your guru may have prepped you on this subject, he neglected to explain that if there is to be oil products (gasoline) on the streets, someone(refiners) has to take delivery of the oil at the current price ($147) I do not deny that world competition for supply played into the scenario. The part that speculators play when the futures are being auctioned, is pushing the price to artificial levels for a chance at unwarranted profits.

1. Hmm. I wonder if the majors and the refiners use futures as a hedge?

2. Which is it? Competition for energy or speculators?

3. If you trade futures you are an investor. If the other guy does it, he's a speculator?

4. To a liberal, the other guys profits are always unwarranted.

5. So when the price drops from $147 to $43, is it an unwarranted loss?

6. The facts reveal that American cut consumption as the price was going up. These were not tulips or potatoes, demand did not increase as the price rose for gasoline as you previously implied - there were NO gas lines, no shortages.

7. You are like my youngest son, who has never been wrong. Just quit now!

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that, despite being online last night, TT waited until no one else was online to post. Wonder why he has ceased to be available for debate, but only post after everyone else has signed off?

I am not begging for quarter or anything like it, but I have been unavailable this weekend due to the death and funeral of a very good family friend. I entertained out of town guests that were here for the funeral. I was able to look in for a few minutes last night to find out about the Longview vs. Waco football game and the supposed controversial two point call. I could not post until this morning before heading to stack palletts. Please forgive me. I didn't know that you valued my presence so much.

I am going to be away a lot today, because my uncle passed away this morning. Please don't change before I get back.

Are you now saying the refiners were doing the "panic buying" at artificially inflated prices!? Crazy.

You want to vilify speculators because you think they are super-rich market manipulators when many oil speculators these days are big pension and index funds investing on behalf of ordinary working Americans, like Bleeds and I. :smirk: While these investment funds have traditionally invested in equities, they have recently been adding commodities such as oil (some of us call them Alternative Investments) to their portfolios as a way to diversify. I was here all summer defending "Big Oil" because my pension system was profiting sharply from the price of oil, though you call them unwarranted profits. Read your notes more closely and you may realize the profit potential is proportional to the amount of risk that is assumed and the speculator's skill in forecasting price movement... that makes the profits warranted in my book.

BTW... Though I have not been prepped by the resident managed futures mystic, I am the chair of a $12M pension system with an annual payroll of just over $1.1M. Stick that in your pallet stack.

"You get credit when you're charitable with what's yours. You're a thief when you take from others by force to be charitable."

That is the best quote from this thread. Although I believe that President Bush has been a great president, I am of the opinion that he dropped the ball on government spending and immigration. Had it not been for those two things, he would have been right up there with Reagan!

"You get credit when you're charitable with what's yours. You're a thief when you take from others by force to be charitable."

That is the best quote from this thread. Although I believe that President Bush has been a great president, I am of the opinion that he dropped the ball on government spending and immigration. Had it not been for those two things, he would have been right up there with Reagan!

See, sharkb8er can post some pretty thoughtful comments with he's off the crack.

See, sharkb8er can post some pretty thoughtful comments with he's off the crack.

Ahhh you jest, but that is the only thing that is not going to get taxed at a higher rate! lol I'm switching to marijane to help ease the pain of the next four years. :sorcerer:

Are you now saying the refiners were doing the "panic buying" at artificially inflated prices!? Crazy.

BTW... Though I have not been prepped by the resident managed futures mystic, I am the chair of a $12M pension system with an annual payroll of just over $1.1M. Stick that in your pallet stack.

How did the prices get to the street otherwise?

Surely you are not admitting to the same deception that you accused me of, are you. I think that it is great that you are involved to that degree. I hope that your diversification succeeds in maintaining earnings for your fund. The crush on lending and the resulting interest rates does not allow for a lot of growth through conventional methods.

well I for one am very glad lil' Bush is finally leaving. He never did anything for me; nothing. Sure he "protected us from the terrorists" but I wonder why we were attacked in the first place? It might have something to do with the fact that the United States pokes its head in every country's business. And why do we do this? To protect our national interests? I wish we would "poke our heads" into the Sudan and stop the genocide in Darfur, or maybe "look into" Eastern Africa and try to stop the piracy there. But no, we won't do that at all because we have no national interests there. It makes me sick to see our country send aid for political reasons, but when some poor country desperately needs our help, we turn the other way. 5000 people die a month in Darfur, and we pretend like it isn't happening. So yes, I am very happy that President Bush is leaving office. Hopefully he moves back to Connecticut, because he is a disgrace to Texans in my opinion.

I agree with you bulldog04. I also find it strange that gas prices are really coming down now that he is leaving office.

I was proud when we went to Afghanistan to fight Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban, but when we went to Iraq for no reason, I lost the respect for my President. I also did spend the money that came to my house, because the government sent us that money to stimulate the economy. Too bad it didn't work huh? I think we should raise taxes and cut government spending. That is the fastest way to erase our deficit. That will not happen though, because we are in a useless war in Iraq that costs 10 billion a month!

Back to the terrorist subject: I think it is great that we are fighting the good fight in Afghanistan. I believe that over time we will win the war. Thank God we will be out of Iraq by 2011. I think that is the best I have heard in years.

The one thing i did not like about the outgoing administration is that they always kept the peace by fear. The government would release a new color for what terrorism level we were in, and everyone would freak. I got so sick of it. Fear tactics may work for awhile, but they don't work forever.

I wonder if anyone will call me an America-hater again? You just do that because you have nothing to say.

In one post you said we should go into Darfur to help out the helpless people there but in this post you say we went into Iraq for no reason. Interesting that you didn't mention the thousands upon thousands that Saddam Hussein killed in his own country. The thousands he tortured and mutilated. I guess since they have oil in their country, that makes them less worthy of help.

What are you going to say about Obama when he doesn't go into Darfur? Are you going to say your ashamed of him?

I agree with you bulldog04. I also find it strange that gas prices are really coming down now that he is leaving office.

Do you find it strange that 2 years ago the economy was strong? What happened different 2 years ago genius?

QUOTE (bulldog04 @ Dec 4 2008, 10:17 PM)

well I for one am very glad lil' Bush is finally leaving. He never did anything for me; nothing. Sure he "protected us from the terrorists" but I wonder why we were attacked in the first place? It might have something to do with the fact that the United States pokes its head in every country's business. And why do we do this? To protect our national interests? I wish we would "poke our heads" into the Sudan and stop the genocide in Darfur, or maybe "look into" Eastern Africa and try to stop the piracy there. But no, we won't do that at all because we have no national interests there. It makes me sick to see our country send aid for political reasons, but when some poor country desperately needs our help, we turn the other way. 5000 people die a month in Darfur, and we pretend like it isn't happening. So yes, I am very happy that President Bush is leaving office. Hopefully he moves back to Connecticut, because he is a disgrace to Texans in my opinion.

-------

This has got to be the most UNINFORMED post I've ever seen!

Bulldog apparently hasn't spoken to any of our soldiers who have been in Iraq!!!!

So, dawg, it's Bush's fault when prices go up but not his fault when they go down? That makes sense? :wacko:

What will all these dawgs do when Bush is not in office? What manifestations will their Bush Derangemnt Syndrome (BDS) take next?

You are going to find it strange when armed militia are roaming the streets of carthage too..

Might find it strange when the Devon's of carthage are in trouble because of your obama man (you know the people who built that nice new stadium there with their tax money)

Did you find it strange that under Bush's reign you got all that nice stuff in your school system - new highly paid coach, new expensive football facility?

Find it strange when you had no problems finding a job in the last eight years, in and around carthage?

You are going to find it strange when you can't find a bank to loan you $$ to buy a car to put some of that cheap gas in..

idiot...

How did the prices get to the street otherwise?

Surely you are not admitting to the same deception that you accused me of, are you. I think that it is great that you are involved to that degree. I hope that your diversification succeeds in maintaining earnings for your fund. The crush on lending and the resulting interest rates does not allow for a lot of growth through conventional methods.

Let me guess you watch CNN 12 hours a day and think you now can classify yourself as an economist.

Hey Madeline Albright, prices started coming down the day President Bush lifted the Executive ban on offshore drilling. Then Congress followed suit and lifted the Congressional ban on offshore drilling. They've been coming down steadily since.

What I mean is, when the Saudis realized we were serious about ending our dependence on their oil, it began to drop like a rock.

Try to keep up.

So you are naive enough to believe gas prices are coming down because Bush is leaving office. Will you then blame the new President when they go through the roof again?