Texas A & M Commerce - interesting visit today

parentofredheads

Make sure he does a "real" major then. Keep him away from anything liberal arts, probably keep him away from the sciences as well, economics would be a huge no-no since most economics majors end up being liberal from what i've read. Nice to see a parent keeping watch over their kids education so much, any sort of different beliefs and you'll just yank them out of college!

So what does that leave? :lol:

If you teach your kids right then "different beliefs" won't hurt them. If they're sheltered and can't think for themselves, then yeah, they'd probably be susceptible to the silver-tongue of a professor. But that malleability started somewhere else, not college.

So no liberal arts, no sciences, no economics. That leaves ... communications? agriculture? basket weaving?

Good luck parent on finding your son a place to play and go to school. I've seen the inanity of college recruiting first hand, and it still boils my skin to think about it. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that popularity contest anymore.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed this thread and thought I would chime in.

As for going to the campus and not finding any coaches, there are probably 2 reasons for that.

#1 - This is the middle of recruiting season, and every coach from every team in the Lone Star Conference is out busting their butts on the recruiting trails. I'm assuming you had just set up a normal campus visit, and not an actual athletics visit that was scheduled with the coaches. They wouldn't just not show up for a scheduled athletics visit. If its just a campus visit you signed up for, there is no way for them to know you were coming, and would have all been out recruiting.

#2 - At the time you visited, that was merely days before the head coach was fired at Commerce, so there was probably alot of things going on behind the scenes with the coaching staff there at that point.

As for Commerce being a liberal school, I can't tell you how far off you are on that assumption.

My wife and I both graduated from Commerce, are VERY conservative people, and we LOVED it. I'm not sure that going to a school for a couple of hours and coming back with an opinion as the one you've been giving is really that good of an idea. You can't just walk onto a college campus and see Obama signs and peg it as a "liberal" school. That is probably a liberal kid that stuck a sign on the grass somewhere. Simple as that. Taking anything more than that from it is just a knee jerk reaction. The church groups on campus have a BIG following there on campus (Lions for Christ, etc).

As for the campus itself, if you were expecting to see College Station when you went there....well, I dont know what to tell you. There are about 3 campuses in the state of Texas that are that nice. Going to Commerce expecting to see College Station just because they have the same name is just....I dont know. You might wanna go to some of these schools websites before you visit them. Sounds like you guys weren't real aware of what you were doing before you went.

While it's obviously not on College Station's level just yet, you have to understand the history of what has happened at ETSU/Commerce.

Back in the 80's/90's, the school was losing VAST amounts of money every year. There wasnt a new building built on campus for something like 40 years. Then A&M took it over and there have been MASSIVE improvements. I believe in the last 6 years they have spent somewhere in the range of $120 million on new buildings there. They now have the most advanced planetarium/Science building in North Texas, they just finished a 100,000 sf Student Center that is opening in the next month, a brand new alumni building, $12 million Rec center, and are about to start on a $30 million music building at the end of this month. So give it a couple of years and this will be one of the nicest campuses in North Texas. They just have alot of "catching up" to do.

So I guess what I'm saying is just don't develop a knee jerk reaction because of some signs you saw stuck in the grass somewhere, and understand the coaching issues that were taking place at that time.

If you guys want a much more developed/inside look at the athletics side of things there, I'd suggest going to LscScoop.com and asking the guys that run the website. They are VERY involved and knowledgeable of everything Lone Star Conference athletics and I'm sure they would help you guys out. As for your son playing there, I'm not sure of what his frame looks like, but he will need to be able to put on probably 60 pounds minimum if he wants to play Division 2. I'm not sure Commerce had an OL under 300 pounds this year, and most of the other LSC schools are the same way.

Best of luck to you guys though...and I'd strongly recommend going back to Commerce on a scheduled athletics visit once they get their new coach hired. I know they are going to be biulding a new field house this year for football too.

Apparently, you didn't read my original post. There weren't "just signs stuck in the grass somewhere", it was in the building next to the main building, where all the T-shirts, including BLACK PANTHER T-shirts, and Obama life-size posters were. The "other" rap posters were out on the walkways. I've since learned, there is a huge amount of Dallas kids coming up to A & M Commerce...as one explained to me the other day, when asked who I voted for, I got, "Well, you know he's against gay people." Which sparked an enormous debate.

My cousins graduated from what it was before A & M Commerce, and one taught there as A & M Commerce. He advised a lot of what I was seeing was one of the reasons he went ahead and retired. Even the coach who called, when I explained what I saw, said that, yes, it was turning liberal, and probably going to be more so because of the new pres.

And FYI, we had set up an appointment for not only the site visit, but also a coach/athletic visit and a counselor visit. And as one poster noted, someone most definitely dropped the ball. I'm of the opinion, if I'm paying that much for my son's college education, somebody needs to do their FREAKING JOB! On all other campus visits to other colleges, when we've walked in, there was a super nice sign welcoming kids and parents who were coming to visit. It's that extra touch that GETS MY MONEY, something that shows the colleges want our business, and consider the kids more than a number.

Since looking at other colleges, I do state that we'd like a conservative college... the counselors then promptly tell me with their "vote at the college" what the end result was.

Truthfully, I've never made Kool-Aid for my sons, and don't intend to see them drinking it now, nor in the future! And, Brocal, since you weren't there the day we were, and I understand your feelings towards your alma mata, but.....

• 2 weeks later...

Was talking to a guy I work with whose wife just graduated from TAMU-C in fall commencement. Said the speaker, a black gentleman, made a big deal about what a great day Nov. 4 was and how Barack Obama was going to change America, blah, blah, blah.

For those of you who think TAMU-C is anything like it's namesake university, or conservative, you might want to rethink your assumptions.

Was talking to a guy I work with whose wife just graduated from TAMU-C in fall commencement. Said the speaker, a black gentleman, made a big deal about what a great day Nov. 4 was and how Barack Obama was going to change America, blah, blah, blah.

For those of you who think TAMU-C is anything like it's namesake university, or conservative, you might want to rethink your assumptions.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but a graduate that purchases a ring will have Texas A&M inscribed on that ring. And I know how some Aggies feel about their RING.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but a graduate that purchases a ring will have Texas A&M inscribed on that ring. And I know how some Aggies feel about their RING.

^That is the funniest thing - I take engineering recruits out for a day quite a bit (usually a group of about 15) in the first stages of a job interview. I can always spot the aggies because they have just gotten that prized ring, and they showcase it like no other...

They can put what they want on the ring, it still won't make them Aggies.

BTW, at what point did this become a discussion about class rings?

If any one does not think that ETSU or now Texas A&M Commerce is not a lberal school has not attended classes there now or in the past. It has been a very liberal school since the 60's. The liberal agenda was taught then and I can imagine how much worse it has gotten.

If any one does not think that ETSU or now Texas A&M Commerce is not a lberal school has not attended classes there now or in the past. It has been a very liberal school since the 60's. The liberal agenda was taught then and I can imagine how much worse it has gotten.

I graduated from there in 2003 and it was not liberal....

Well, it's decided - FINALLY! Went to Northeast Texas Community College yesterday, visited with Coach Terry, who had previously been at LeTourneau and Carthage, and also Dr. Seabourne - outstanding men!

So it's NTCC for 2 years and then off to ETBU for the last 2 years, which we really liked. He won't be playing any sports, but he'll be involved in sports, and around coaches - which is vital! Also, Dr. Seabourne advised since young'un wanted to specialize in weight and conditioning training, that there were tons of certifications that you could hold that a lot of coaches don't, that would up his employability, especially on strength and conditioning training for each sport; i.e., football, baseball, basketball, etc., etc.

Question: One thing the counselor stated that I need to do more research on.... he advised that since young'un wanted to be a coach and teach history, that once he got through with college, that there were very few history positions open with coaching, but that what the schools needed were either: Science, math, special ed, or bilingual teachers, and that if he had one of those certificates, he could actually pick his job.... so we were talking about a major in kinesiology and history, with a minor in science. It's a lot, and the counselor informed young'un that he'd have to go to school for 12 months out of the year, and he has no problem with that, nor do I....

What's your opinions?

Too many kids go to college without knowing what the needs are in terms of positions available in their major.

Gotta go where the jobs are.

Too many kids go to college without knowing what the needs are in terms of positions available in their major.

Gotta go where the jobs are.

So... would you agree with what the counselor said? I did just check on Smoaky's coaching section, and I see a lot in the science department... sometimes you wonder about these counselors, if they're not out for the money.... I'm going to make a couple of calls to coaches, both high school and college alike to get their take on it, too...

Well, it's decided - FINALLY! Went to Northeast Texas Community College yesterday, visited with Coach Terry, who had previously been at LeTourneau and Carthage, and also Dr. Seabourne - outstanding men!

So it's NTCC for 2 years and then off to ETBU for the last 2 years, which we really liked. He won't be playing any sports, but he'll be involved in sports, and around coaches - which is vital! Also, Dr. Seabourne advised since young'un wanted to specialize in weight and conditioning training, that there were tons of certifications that you could hold that a lot of coaches don't, that would up his employability, especially on strength and conditioning training for each sport; i.e., football, baseball, basketball, etc., etc.

Question: One thing the counselor stated that I need to do more research on.... he advised that since young'un wanted to be a coach and teach history, that once he got through with college, that there were very few history positions open with coaching, but that what the schools needed were either: Science, math, special ed, or bilingual teachers, and that if he had one of those certificates, he could actually pick his job.... so we were talking about a major in kinesiology and history, with a minor in science. It's a lot, and the counselor informed young'un that he'd have to go to school for 12 months out of the year, and he has no problem with that, nor do I....

What's your opinions?

Parent - back when I was considering the coaching thing, the rule was you had to graduate, then take the test in whatever subject you had majored in = certified in that subject. Then, after you are certified in the subject you majored in, you are free to take the test for any other subject, if you pass you are certified in that subject as well. Call somebody and make sure it's still like this...

Parent - back when I was considering the coaching thing, the rule was you had to graduate, then take the test in whatever subject you had majored in = certified in that subject. Then, after you are certified in the subject you majored in, you are free to take the test for any other subject, if you pass you are certified in that subject as well. Call somebody and make sure it's still like this...

you have to have so many hours and upper level hours in a subject to teach.

Also Parent if your son wants to teach in the history field tell him to get a Comp SS certificate instead of history..allows him to teach in history, social studies, geography and a couple of others.

He will also need to go through a teacher certification program at some point. I would recommend doing this at ETBU, but it is also possible to get his degree, then to enroll in a program after college through Region VII in Kilgore or another Region service center in the state. Some schools will hire individuals to coach without a certificate and then help them through this process. However, again I would recommend that he graduate from College with a certificate if possible and enough hours (usually 36-48) for a major - History is a good one... there are still jobs out there for history teachers (believe me) and composite Social studies is the way to go, like someone else said. But, like mentioned by others here... Math and Science - write your ticket... my school even pays a math and science stipend... considerable more money to teach them... almost $10 thousand more per year just for a composite math or science certificate.

Hope this helps.

Well, just got through talking to the strength and conditioning coach for OU - what a guy! I know his brother, sorta, and he's just giving us all kinds of info. Strength and conditioning certifications are a big plus, he also emphasized the need for either math or science, plus history - as one poster noted - write his own ticket, and a HUGE PLUS HE HAS TO TRY like the dickens to be assistants to the coaches wherever he attends.

I also spoke with our local high school principal, who is also a coach, and he said the exact same thing... so we're on the way. Couple of other things I need to clear up as far as my understanding on some things, and then getting NTCC and ETBU's classes to mesh (freaking full time job doing this mess I'm here to tell ya!).

Needless to say, young'un will start college this coming summer! Might as well, can't find a freaking job from here to Mt. Pleasant - things are getting super tough around here!!!! Now, the kids are battling for jobs that adults are taking.

One thing I'm thoroughly confused about is the majors and minors... I can't tell if it's an upper ed education or kinesiology or whatever thingy he needs to get... gosh-danged confusing to me, but I'll get that cleared up, too.

Beginning this coming Saturday, it's an all out war on applying for scholarships, etc. Thankfully, he's great at doing essays! Hubby asked me last night exactly what my day entails... once I got through, he said, okie doke, I'm not going to ask that question again!

parentofredheads, our son is halway through his first year of pharmacy college at Texas Tech in Abilene. He got his associates degree at Navarro College in Corsicana, and many people told him he wouldn't be accepted into a pharmacy program with a junior college degree, but he proved them wrong. We took him to interview at Amarillo (the main Texas Tech pharmacy campus), Abilene, and to Texas A&M at Kingsville (about 7 hours away from where we live). It does take some effort to help your kids realize their goals in their education, but it is well worth it, and I would go across the state again if need be. I know you are proud of your son, and you are showing your love for him by being involved in this next step in his life.

parentofredheads, our son is halway through his first year of pharmacy college at Texas Tech in Abilene. He got his associates degree at Navarro College in Corsicana, and many people told him he wouldn't be accepted into a pharmacy program with a junior college degree, but he proved them wrong. We took him to interview at Amarillo (the main Texas Tech pharmacy campus), Abilene, and to Texas A&M at Kingsville (about 7 hours away from where we live). It does take some effort to help your kids realize their goals in their education, but it is well worth it, and I would go across the state again if need be. I know you are proud of your son, and you are showing your love for him by being involved in this next step in his life.

I appreciate that. I've got a sister and a brother-in-law that are coaches, and both started out at junior colleges; one sister started out at KJC, then to UT Tyler, and works with one of the heart teams in Tyler, now she's a nurse practitioner... and then the youngest sister that went all the way through A & M - COLLEGE STATION... ended up doing something totally different than what she got her degree in, but making mucho mula.

Young'un also now informed me he might want to get his masters... I told him he could do that after I pay for his bachelor's degree and could HE PAY FOR THAT once he's already working and on his own! Not having a professional student - course had to explain that, too. LOL!

I can tell ya, it's a whole heck of a lot different than the oldest son strictly doing welding and getting all of his welding certs...CRIMINEY... and he's going to NTCC, too.

But thanks for all the info! I really do appreciate it.

I graduated from there in 2003 and it was not liberal....

I already tried clutchon...they're not lisening :sleeping:

And for the ironic note of the day, check THIS out. LOL

Hopefully that strain of A&M-Commerce "liberal" isn't contagious ;)

Brocal, I seriously doubt it'll radiate over to Mt. Pleasant. LOL! NTCC already has one where they're working with A & M - Texarkana. They bring some of that mess over to Mt. Pleasant that I saw in Commerce that day, and they're liable to get the stuffing beat out of 'em! There's lots of rednecks up there... my kind of people.

Brocal, I seriously doubt it'll radiate over to Mt. Pleasant. LOL! NTCC already has one where they're working with A & M - Texarkana. They bring some of that mess over to Mt. Pleasant that I saw in Commerce that day, and they're liable to get the stuffing beat out of 'em! There's lots of rednecks up there... my kind of people.

I would have never guessed!

:rolleyes:

Parent, I'm sort of in that same position with what your son is wanting to do. I also want to coach football (college level) and hopefully get a job in a D-1 school being a position coach...

What does a minor actually do for you as a student and also as a possible employee candidate? I have my history minor and also plan on getting my my math minor before I graduate in May 2010