Texas A & M Commerce - interesting visit today

parentofredheads

Parent, I'm sort of in that same position with what your son is wanting to do. I also want to coach football (college level) and hopefully get a job in a D-1 school being a position coach...

What does a minor actually do for you as a student and also as a possible employee candidate? I have my history minor and also plan on getting my my math minor before I graduate in May 2010

All I know is, from every coach, AD, college coaches I've talked to, every single one of them said because there are 4 areas needed - bilingual, science, math, special ed ... in the teaching profession. That if you have your teaching degree in one of those, you have more jobs available to you - which is a plus in this world today.

We were talking about it yesterday, and although young'un realizes having two majors and a minor he'll have to go to college full time, and I'm talking super serious full time, he won't relent on the history. History is his first love and always will be.

On the other hand, after talking with OU's weight and conditioning trainer, he agreed with one of 'em that we talked to at NTCC, that young'un needed to be certified (since that's what he ultimately wants to do) in special courses designed specifically for baseball, basketball, football, etc.

At some point, truthfully, I think young'un's going to get very bored with teaching just science or history, and get his masters where he can teach ancient history and/or maybe be the conditioning coach on the college level.

Whatever he does, I'm just the mom to keep his rear in gear.... LOL! And as I told young'un, his resume BEFORE getting his job will be longer than his dad's and mine...LOL!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here i go again, i am sure i am about to make some people mad but i have to say it. I agree with you that if you made an appointment with these people they should have been there to greet you and talk with you. As to the signs and boys with their shirts pulled up and rap music and all that, well here is where i will make you mad. Those kids' parents also paid good money for their kid to go there. They do have the right to put whatever sign they want up and if it offends you don't look or put your own sign up. Nobody should have had to take poster, cutouts,and all that down because one person complained. Sorry but that is how the world works. I am glad your son got into a college where you both feel comfortable. and i am sure he will be great in life at whatever he does. I just had to voice my thoughts on the other.

Here i go again, i am sure i am about to make some people mad but i have to say it. I agree with you that if you made an appointment with these people they should have been there to greet you and talk with you. As to the signs and boys with their shirts pulled up and rap music and all that, well here is where i will make you mad. Those kids' parents also paid good money for their kid to go there. They do have the right to put whatever sign they want up and if it offends you don't look or put your own sign up. Nobody should have had to take poster, cutouts,and all that down because one person complained. Sorry but that is how the world works. I am glad your son got into a college where you both feel comfortable. and i am sure he will be great in life at whatever he does. I just had to voice my thoughts on the other.

UGHHHH, I'm not in the mood to explain the difference.... :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

why is it that you assume that you are right and all who don't feel the same are stupid, morally corrupt, raised by the devil, and just wrong?

As you pointed out, she has the right to choose what's right and what's wrong. As to the epithets you've assigned to her opinion, do you have any reason to do this, or are you just attempting to paint her as a bad person because she seems to be less than tolerant of destructive ideals?

But as to why they're wrong; maybe because they've proven wrong over time? Repeatedly?

As you pointed out, she has the right to choose what's right and what's wrong. As to the epithets you've assigned to her opinion, do you have any reason to do this, or are you just attempting to paint her as a bad person because she seems to be less that tolerant of destructive ideals?

i could say a lot more. as to trying to paint her as a bad person she is doing that all by herself. i simply asked why she assumed she was right and if you disagree with her ideas then you are morally bankrupt.Is that not the theme here?

i could say a lot more. as to trying to paint her as a bad person she is doing that all by herself. i simply asked why she assumed she was right and if you disagree with her ideas then you are morally bankrupt.Is that not the theme here?

No, it is not.

No, it is not.

She said that is was upset because of the Obama posters, rap singers on the wall, black boys with there shirts pulled up. She said that she wrote emails and complained about this. I said that those students parents are also paying money for thier children to attend school there. I said that they had every right to display what they wanted to and she had every right not to send her child to school there. i said that if she had an appointment with the school those people should have kept that appointment. Since i did not agree with her i am portrayed as a morally messed up person. She made it seem that because those kids liked Obama and because they listened to rap, that they were bad kids.

She said that is was upset because of the Obama posters, rap singers on the wall, black boys with there shirts pulled up. She said that she wrote emails and complained about this. I said that those students parents are also paying money for thier children to attend school there. I said that they had every right to display what they wanted to and she had every right not to send her child to school there. i said that if she had an appointment with the school those people should have kept that appointment. Since i did not agree with her i am portrayed as a morally messed up person. She made it seem that because those kids liked Obama and because they listened to rap, that they were bad kids.

You presented a standard: "you assume that you are right and all who don't feel the same are stupid, morally corrupt, raised by the devil, and just wrong".

Why don't you show how she matches that standard? You don't need to answer that. She doesn't. Heck, show how she matches your latest standard, given above. She won't match that either.

You show your thin skin by assigning all the stuff you feel that people have ever said about you. Transferrence at it's finest.

You presented a standard: "you assume that you are right and all who don't feel the same are stupid, morally corrupt, raised by the devil, and just wrong".

Why don't you show how she matches that standard? You don't need to answer that. She doesn't. Heck, show how she matches your latest standard, given above. She won't match that either.

You show your thin skin by assigning all the stuff you feel that people have ever said about you. Transferrence at it's finest.

you sound like an idiot. I made my argument. like it or not.

you sound like an idiot. I made my argument. like it or not.

Wow, you sure put me in my place.

You did not make your argument. That's what I'm saying. You make groundless accusations. When asked to clarify, you make other groundless accusations. It's a pattern.

no i laid it all out for you read.

And since you've been called on it, you just yell "Yuhuh!"

You wouldn't know a good argument if it bit you on the tookus.

It's not all opinion. A winning argument is not an unanswered accusation.

If you say that someone said "A", and you're called on it, you can either show that they actually said "A", or you can't. If you do, you've won your argument. If you can't, you look much like... well, look in a mirror.

And since you've been called on it, you just yell "Yuhuh!"

You wouldn't know a good argument if it bit you on the tookus.

It's not all opinion. A winning argument is not an unanswered accusation.

If you say that someone said "A", and you're called on it, you can either show that they actually said "A", or you can't. If you do, you've won your argument. If you can't, you look much like... well, look in a mirror.

once again i am no longer responding to you

what difference? THose kids had every right to display what they wanted and you had every right not to send your kid to school there.

You're braindead aren't you?

The difference parent is talking about is the fact she didn't say anything about the rights of the kids to put up their signs or wear their shirts or play their rap music. She insinuated if that was the kind of school that was in lockstep with the shirts and the signs, she was going to look for another school.

Another thread hijacked by jenniferkay, and made all about her.

You're braindead aren't you?

The difference parent is talking about is the fact she didn't say anything about the rights of the kids to put up their signs or wear their shirts or play their rap music. She insinuated if that was the kind of school that was in lockstep with the shirts and the signs, she was going to look for another school.

Another thread hijacked by jenniferkay, and made all about her.

i said as much i said that was her right.

i said as much i said that was her right.

You insinuated that parent said these kids didn't have the right to voice their political beliefs. You even acknowledged you thought those comments would upset other posters.

yes that's what i said. and i was right. you are mad.

If laughing hysterically at your insane comments can be considered mad, then you are right.

See, I can carry on a conversation without letting an intellectual midget intent on picking a fight make me mad.

Sad.

If laughing hysterically at your insane comments can be considered mad, then you are right.

See, I can carry on a conversation without letting an intellectual midget intent on picking a fight make me mad.

Sad.

i have observed that when you feel threaten you start name-calling. So when you start with that kind of childless behavior i will stop repsonding to you. that is how i handle my children when they start inappropriate behavior and since you want to act like a child i will treat you as such.

i have observed that when you feel threaten you start name-calling. So when you start with that kind of childless behavior i will stop repsonding to you. that is how i handle my children when they start inappropriate behavior and since you want to act like a child i will treat you as such.

Funny. You have responded to almost every comment I've posted.

BTW, it will take someone with substantially more intellect than you to make me feel threatened. So far, you have proven every accusation I've made about you.

Please continue. You're batting .1000 .