The reason why OU should not....

Tigerstripes

I'll give OU credit where it is due, they are a great football team. Simply dominated every part of the game against Tech and no one can argue with that point. However, here's something to ponder...it seems that all the college football analyst that think OU should be voted in over Texas think that because OU is the hot team RIGHT NOW. What does this matter? In a traditional playoff system, such a claim would have merit, but you see college football is not at that moment , its still the BCS, which by the way, is a test of endurance over the long haul, AKA the ENTIRE SEASON. So what is the point of playing well the entire season as Texas has done if your just going to get bumped out because some team that the horns BEAT might I add, are said to be playing better now. The word better is a subjective word open to many criticisms, so what more efficeint way could we measure the better football team...hey I know, lets look at head-to-head matchups!...but wait, the so called genius' that control this freak show and the polls arent that clever now are they?

Texas loss to Tech AT TECH on a last second play!

Texas beat OU at neutral field...a true test of teams vs. team without fan advantage!

Texas has more quality wins than OU!

Texas has the hardest schedule in football!

What point can OU make besides the one they are playing better right now?

What a joke we have as a ranking system in college football. I'll be honest, I voted for Mccain for president, but if Obama can get this joke of a system out of the way he will go down as MY all time favorite president regardless of what the man does in office!

Sorry for the rampage, obvious things :bangin: really get under my skin...

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a side note, don't rake me over the coals...

people keep saying that Tech beat UT on a last second play, but Tech had the lead for the majority of the game until a late fourth quarter scoring drive by UT. just the facts. if it were the other way around, would you say "well UT won on a late drive"? would that make a win any more/less credible?

Regardless of the right to NC, I think a good point is brought up:

A playoff system would negate all the talk of who's "hot" now and who's "not." You play to win and if you don't, bye bye.

It would end all of this girly popularity contest and throw the ridiculous ambiguity of the system out the window.

just a side note, don't rake me over the coals...

people keep saying that Tech beat UT on a last second play, but Tech had the lead for the majority of the game until a late fourth quarter scoring drive by UT. just the facts. if it were the other way around, would you say "well UT won on a late drive"? would that make a win any more/less credible?

WWPP, you make a very valid point, one I've been trying to make all along. The burnt orange faithful act as though the drubbing tu took at the hands of TT was a fluke, when in reality, TT gave a college football clinic to tu.

Until the sips realize and admit that, all is futile and their premises are all flawed.

Regardless of the right to NC, I think a good point is brought up:

A playoff system would negate all the talk of who's "hot" now and who's "not." You play to win and if you don't, bye bye.

It would end all of this girly popularity contest and throw the ridiculous ambiguity of the system out the window.

But wait Middle. If we did that, those who actually deserve to play for the NC would be on the field. We can't have that. We have to have those who are perceived to be the best teams in the country playing instead of those who have earned it.

Texas loss to Tech AT TECH on a last second play!

Tech was drilling UT for the majority of the night till Colt brought them back in. Then we finished it.

I advocate for a 16 man playoff. 11 confrence champs and 5 at large bids. We would then have USC, Tech, OU/UT, Boise St and even OSU (Oklahoma St) to have an at large spots. It would totally settle all the problems with the BCS..

We have the potential in the Big 12 South to have 3-4 teams with double digit wins in which some schools be snubbed from a BCS game.

#1 should be Alabama, #3 be Florida and then tied for 2nd (OU/TU/TT)

WWPP, you make a very valid point, one I've been trying to make all along. The burnt orange faithful act as though the drubbing tu took at the hands of TT was a fluke, when in reality, TT gave a college football clinic to tu.

Until the sips realize and admit that, all is futile and their premises are all flawed.

I think maybe the point is the 4 qtrs remark and you help make the point with what you said. Texas only showed up to play the second half and took the lead late in the game. What had happened if they played the first half? would it have been a blowout like Tech faced in Norman? who knows. You must play for 4 qtrs and Texas didn't, and they got beat. That doesn't speak well for Tech in the fact that they had the opportunity to come out the second half and put Texas away and they didn't. Texas came right back in the second half and hit Tech hard and took the lead. Tech had a heck of a play to win the game. Fluke of a game? Naw!! Tech won. they made the plays that counted but the clinic you speak of came Saturday night in Norman. In no way did Tech take Texas to the woodshed. Winning on a last second play doesn't mean you "drubbed" somebody.

Until you realize and admit that, all is futile and your premises are all flawed.

Things Texas fans don't want you to know. Tech absolutely destroyed the football machine called Texas in every statistical catagory and dominated the game for 58 out of 60 minutes.

Why is the football machine called Texas hiding behind this neutral field issue? Earth to the football machine called Texas ...Tech would have loved to play OU on a neutral field. You can't claim a benefit if others aren't allowed the same luxury. it's just not fair ....but when has UT ever cared about fairness?

I think maybe the point is the 4 qtrs remark and you help make the point with what you said. Texas only showed up to play the second half and took the lead late in the game. What had happened if they played the first half? would it have been a blowout like Tech faced in Norman? who knows. You must play for 4 qtrs and Texas didn't, and they got beat. That doesn't speak well for Tech in the fact that they had the opportunity to come out the second half and put Texas away and they didn't. Texas came right back in the second half and hit Tech hard and took the lead. Tech had a heck of a play to win the game. Fluke of a game? Naw!! Tech won. they made the plays that counted but the clinic you speak of came Saturday night in Norman. In no way did Tech take Texas to the woodshed. Winning on a last second play doesn't mean you "drubbed" somebody.

Until you realize and admit that, all is futile and your premises are all flawed.

Drink your Kool-Aid.

Things Texas fans don't want you to know. Tech absolutely destroyed the football machine called Texas in every statistical catagory and dominated the game for 58 out of 60 minutes.

Why is the football machine called Texas hiding behind this neutral field issue? Earth to the football machine called Texas ...Tech would have loved to play OU on a neutral field. You can't claim a benefit if others aren't allowed the same luxury. it's just not fair ....but when has UT ever cared about fairness?

Hanginanus, please!! OU would have beaten TT on the moon. Tech gave it up like a $2 #### last sat. night.

You'll also discover when you grow up you'll find lots of things in life aren't fair. BTW, it's not fair that Tech got their bottoms mudholed so bad the media now has a collective hardon for the Sooners. But hey, life's not always fair.

Hanginanus, please!! OU would have beaten TT on the moon. Tech gave it up like a $2 #### last sat. night.

You'll also discover when you grow up you'll find lots of things in life aren't fair. BTW, it's not fair that Tech got their arses mudholed so bad the media now has a collective hardon for the Sooners. But hey, life's not always fair.

we are 10-1, send us to the national championship! Don't send Texas, we beat Texas! we have the same record than Texas therefore Tech > Texas....... it's a shame it works like this but the earlier you lose usually its for the better.

we are 10-1, send us to the national championship! Don't send Texas, we beat Texas! we have the same record than Texas therefore Tech > Texas....... it's a shame it works like this but the earlier you lose usually its for the better.

That is true. Since the fact that Texas beat Oklahoma means that they should be ranked higher, doesn't that mean Tech should be ranked higher than Texas because Texas lost to Tech?

I find this histerical. 58 out of 60 minutes? Here is the reality on the scoreboard and stats. TT dominated the entire 1st half. UT dominated the entire 2nd half. TT won on the last play. Congrats TT for winning but don't make it sound like you dominated the entire game. You won a half/UT won a half. You had the ball last and made the play to win.

The football machine called Texas' fans are preaching the value of the head-to-head victory over OU. However, what if OU loses to OSU, Tech beats Baylor and Tech beats Missouri. Tech is Big 12 South Champion, Big 12 Champion, with a head-to-head victory over the football machine called Texas. Will the football machine called Texas' fans still be preaching the head-to-head sermon? I'm sure the hypocrite spin doctors in Austin are working on this now.

So just throwin this one out there, not likely, but what if all three teams lose? then there will be a 4 way tie with one of the two Oklahoma schools going to the big 12 championship, as well as getting the bcs bids. i mean its highly unlikely...but its still possible if UT and Tech dont take care of business.

The football machine called Texas' fans are preaching the value of the head-to-head victory over OU. However, what if OU loses to OSU, Tech beats Baylor and Tech beats Missouri. Tech is Big 12 South Champion, Big 12 Champion, with a head-to-head victory over the football machine called Texas. Will the football machine called Texas' fans still be preaching the head-to-head sermon? I'm sure the hypocrite spin doctors in Austin are working on this now.

I will still preach head to head. If those things happen TT would be(and deservedly so) the Big 12 Champion. But right now TT should be out of the conversation because they got blownout 2 nights ago. UT beat OU by 10 and deserves to go. Just my opinion(which doesn't count) IF OU loses to OSU, TT has every right to go based on their head to head with UT.

but you got beat by a team that got arseraped by OU! It's a vicious circle that will probably be solved by picking the team that lost earlier in the season.

exactly---------by picking the team that lost earliest in the season -------is the reason OU gets in when they beat OSU

exactly---------by picking the team that lost earliest in the season -------is the reason OU gets in when they beat OSU

Counting your eggs a little early arent you? OU has always had issues in Stillwater, and the Cowboys have never been this good...im not saying that OSU will win, but i wouldn't be surprised if O-state wins...

However, here's something to ponder...it seems that all the college football analyst that think OU should be voted in over Texas think that because OU is the hot team RIGHT NOW. What does this matter? In a traditional playoff system, such a claim would have merit, but you see college football is not at that moment , its still the BCS, which by the way, is a test of endurance over the long haul, AKA the ENTIRE SEASON. So what is the point of playing well the entire season as Texas has done if your just going to get bumped out because some team that the horns BEAT might I add, are said to be playing better now.

That is the best point I've seen yet. You should seriously consider emailing it to Mike & Mike for use on their show.

Counting your eggs a little early arent you? OU has always had issues in Stillwater, and the Cowboys have never been this good...im not saying that OSU will win, but i wouldn't be surprised if O-state wins...

My bad ur right i should have said IF, wouldnt surprise me if OSU won either. just making the point that it was OU that lost first among the three schools in the discussion. another thing no one is considering is the point int their schedule in which all three UT TT and OU have played these ranked teams they all faced. UT lost the fourth game in a 4 game stretch on the road, TT lost the third game in a three game stretch on the road as well. i dont have their shcedule in front of me but i dont think OU has played the stretch of ranked teams in a row that either UT or TT did, but i could be wrong as i said i dont have their schedule in front of me, and that does make a differecnce as it wears on a team.

Computer formulas understand the body of work of an entire season and do not respond well to media bias. Humans have short memories and extreme prejudices and since polls make up 2/3rds of the BCS formula, it will always be biased toward recent victories/losses and traditional/high profile football powers.