Big 12 South Mess

catluv

Y'all go read Mark Schlabach's "On the Mark" on ESPN.com's college football section for his take on the Big 12 South mess.

If I knew how to put a link on here I would, but I don't. So, if someone feels like posting the link please do so, but I want everyone to see that.

Catluv

Wow, some of these espn guys are starting to get it. Darn those facts!!!

Didn't take long to figure out why you guys think that this was great sports writing....just another example of bias media. what is sad is all of the propaganda that is spreading just to push one over the other. in another week it will be settled...like it or not....advantage SOONERS!!!!!!

Didn't take long to figure out why you guys think that this was great sports writing....just another example of bias media. what is sad is all of the propaganda that is spreading just to push one over the other. in another week it will be settled...like it or not....advantage SOONERS!!!!!!

Dude, at least be a man and own up to the fact that the Horns beat you straight up, on a neutral field.

Texas fans better be careful claiming the head to head battle against OU. If OU were to get beat this weekend, TT has the same argument.

...and they would have a valid argument, unlike visorboy. What a whiner! If OU gets in having lost head to head against Texas, it will be a gift. Stoopid should just STHU and quit trying to argue that they deserve it.

Texas fans better be careful claiming the head to head battle against OU. If OU were to get beat this weekend, TT has the same argument.

I am fine with that. At least we can admit that we lost head to head and TT should be there is OU loses this weekend.

Actually, all horns fans should be hoping that OU and Tech both win this week, lol........If OU loses and Tech wins, then it is the head to head case where TT beat UT, so TT would go to the Big XII Championship.......if all 3 teams win, then it is based on who has the highest BCS score that determines who goes to the Bix XII Championship, which right now is UT......so right about now most Horns fans are really rooting for both those Sooners and the Red Raiders to win this week.......then, UT has to hope that OU doesn't squash Okie St. and leap frog them in the BCS.......and right now for the moment I must say that OU is the scariest team in the nation to have to play......since the UT loss they have not only stomped their opponents, but have usually stomped them by the end of the first half.......

And as for earlier comments about UT beating OU head to head, absolutely they did beat them, and by 10.....but as I do recall, UT couldn't do squat against Tech and had to fight the whole game just to take a lead and then lose it in the final minute, and that was/is the same Tech team that OU quite literally destroyed..........................In the first half...............I just thought I'd mention that. I am a Horn fan, and a Sooner fan as well, but I have to be honest with myself on this one, OU looks far more impressive right now than either TT or UT, and if you are honest with yourself as either a Horn or a Raider, you should be saying it too.........

Actually, all horns fans should be hoping that OU and Tech both win this week, lol

Actually, we should only be hoping that UT and OU win (it's sad that I have to root for OU). If Tech loses to Baylor (by some miracle) that leaves a 2 way tie for the Big XII South between the Longhorns and the Sooners.......UT holds the tie breaker.

Pray for a techie loss this weekend

It doesn't matter if OU beats OSU in OT by 3...or by 30. If they win, they are in.

Reason: OSU is ranked--but UT is playing aTm, and they are in a no-win situation in the computer rankings. There is not a strength of schedule factor in BCS, but many of the computers have it built into their rankings. An OU win over a ranked opponent will vault them in the computer rankings--and they are already ahead in the media and coaches polls.

If OU takes care of business--they play Missouri next weekend.

Actually, all horns fans should be hoping that OU and Tech both win this week, lol........If OU loses and Tech wins, then it is the head to head case where TT beat UT, so TT would go to the Big XII Championship.......if all 3 teams win, then it is based on who has the highest BCS score that determines who goes to the Bix XII Championship, which right now is UT......so right about now most Horns fans are really rooting for both those Sooners and the Red Raiders to win this week.......then, UT has to hope that OU doesn't squash Okie St. and leap frog them in the BCS.......and right now for the moment I must say that OU is the scariest team in the nation to have to play......since the UT loss they have not only stomped their opponents, but have usually stomped them by the end of the first half.......

And as for earlier comments about UT beating OU head to head, absolutely they did beat them, and by 10.....but as I do recall, UT couldn't do squat against Tech and had to fight the whole game just to take a lead and then lose it in the final minute, and that was/is the same Tech team that OU quite literally destroyed..........................In the first half...............I just thought I'd mention that. I am a Horn fan, and a Sooner fan as well, but I have to be honest with myself on this one, OU looks far more impressive right now than either TT or UT, and if you are honest with yourself as either a Horn or a Raider, you should be saying it too.........

That "most impressive right now" myth has been dispelled earlier this year. They were even hotter going into the RRS agaisnt Texas. Let me show you.

I keep hearing everyone trumpet how OU is a different team now and how they are playing the best ball in the country, which should somehow overshadow the loss to Texas on a neutral field.

Excuse me, but weren't we hearing this about 6 weeks ago as well. We kept hearing how nobody could stop OU, how they were the best team in the country, blah, blah, blah. In fact, they were ranked number 1 in the country when they lost to Texas.

Coming into that game, they had outscored teams on an average of 49.6-13.8, which is a 35.8 point margin of victory, including wins over the two teams everyone keeps pumping up for OU in Cincy and TCU.

Since the Texas game in which OU's defense gave up 45 points (38 if you take away the KO return), they have given up 31, 35, 28, 28 and 21. They played great against Tech, but the other games were against noted powerhouses Kansas, KSU, Nebraska and A&M.

So since the Red River Shootout, which we all know didn't count, OU is beating teams by a margin of 59.2-28.6 ( a 30.6 point differential).

Considering OU played their big boys early in the season (TCU and Cincy), and are still giving up huge points on defense, I would say OU is playing worse than they did early in the season when they were allegedly invincible.

And since we are trying to determine the champion of the Big 12, let's look at who has the better resume within the conference.

Texas has beaten the following:

@ Colorado

Missouri

OSU

Baylor

@ Kansas

and oh yeah, OU

OU has beaten:

@ Baylor

Kansas

@ KSU

Nebraska

@ A&M

Tech

If we assume for a second that OU and TX both win this week, then OU will have beaten two quality teams in conference (Tech and OSU).

Texas will have beaten three quality teams and will have beaten the team they are jockeying with on a neutral field (Mizzou, OSU and OU).

I also mistakenly thought that you were rewarded on your ENTIRE season and body of work, not who looked the best last week? UT regrouped after the TT loss and has looked pretty impressive themselves. Destroyed Kansas 35-7 and it could have been worse if they wanted to run the score up. But hey, once again, let's look at the entire season.

Dude, at least be a man and own up to the fact that the Horns beat you straight up, on a neutral field.

I have never denounced that UT did not beat OU in CottonBowl this year. That is a given...every year since 1912 it has been played on a neutral. I do, however, think that pulling the "neutral field" card is a joke and an antic to persuade voters!!! admit that. another thing to think about when pulling the "neutral field" card is....where is the Cotton Bowl exactly???? oh yeah....Dallas, Texas!!!! and i am aware of the distance between the two.

With Texas not playing last week and OU blowing out the number 2 team, the human polls were obviously going to be skewed to OU's favor. The hope is that a big blowout win against A&M, regardless of how OU does, will remind the voters how good Texas is. I don't think OU will go ahead of Texas in the computers if both win, but they could narrow the margin enough to move ahead in the overall BCS ranking if the human polls do not change this week.

Both teams could have avoided this argument if they had taken care of business all season, but this is the fun in the current system. If we had a playoff, all this talk would be mute, and we would just be finishing out the season. (Just a little soapbox moment.)

And Tech would play for the Big 12 title because of it, too.

But Texas would still be in perfect position for the national championship game. Texas Tech would not.

You know, I am so tired of hearing/seeing people talk about how OU is the hottest team in the country right now, and that at the present time they are the better team between them and Texas. When UT and OU played in the Cotton Bowl this season OU was ranked #1 and was widely considered the "hottest" team in the country. All the sports talk radio guys here in Dallas-Fort Worth talked about was how many points Oklahoma would beat Texas by.

Oklahoma lost by double digits! My point is, no matter what you think your eyes are telling you nobody really knows how things are going to play out, and instead of going with the fact you THINK one team is currently better than another you'd better go with FACTS. The FACT is Texas BEAT Oklahoma 45-35 in a real game that took place on October 11, 2008, at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX.

The entire nation watched as Texas took control of a game in the second half they were picked to lose by at least two scores by most analysts. All you Oklahoma fans or people saying Oklahoma should go because they are playing better football right now (in your opinion) just need to hush, and fall back on events that actually happened......that is 45-35 favor UT.

I have never denounced that UT did not beat OU in CottonBowl this year. That is a given...every year since 1912 it has been played on a neutral. I do, however, think that pulling the "neutral field" card is a joke and an antic to persuade voters!!! admit that. another thing to think about when pulling the "neutral field" card is....where is the Cotton Bowl exactly???? oh yeah....Dallas, Texas!!!! and i am aware of the distance between the two.

Same amount of fans in the stands at the Cotton Bowl, plus Oklahoma gets the end zone portion of the stadium where the players enter making it a much more hostile entrance for the home-state Longhorns than it does the out-of-state Sooners.

Don't act like it's not a neutral field just because the game is played in Dallas. There are so many flippin Sooner fans in Dallas-Fort Worth it makes me sick, because all the OU graduates have to come to DFW to find a legit job, because the state of Oklahoma is so pitiful they get out as quickly as possible and the DFW metroplex is the closest metro area with a good economy.

you'd better go with FACTS. The FACT is Texas BEAT Oklahoma 45-35 in a real game that took place on October 11, 2008, at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX.

Hey Cat, I agree we should go with facts.....One fact I have is that my Horns never had the TT game until a brief moment in the 4th quarter, but they lost that one if you recall, and it was a real game that happened too, and I am still sore from that loss. Another fact that is hard to grasp is that OU decimated TT, the team that beat my Horns, rememer, and decimated them by the 1st half alone, I might add, that was also a real game that just took place too......location doesn't mean squat to me, teams lose at home, on the road, or neutral all the time, depending upon how they play and match up to each other.....But right now I have to give the advantage to OU because of how they have looked since they lost to UT and how they manhandled TT.....