Croom resigns at Miss State

Immortal13

This came as no surprise to anyone involve with State. Croom, while a good guy, had proven he was in way over his head. His fierce devotion to his friend and OC Woody McCorvey may have been his undoing. And his dogmatic defiance to suggestions he should make a move there didn't help his cause. Croom's resignation came on the heels of an embarrassing 45-0 loss at the hands of rivals Ole Miss (I hate you Bo).

His resignation, as opposed to being fired, was the best thing that could have happened. His resume', though tarnished with his lack of success at state, will now not show a termination from State. He will get a nice sum to leave with, and State will escape what would prove to be a much heftier amount to buy out his contract.

This is a strange twist of fate for the guy who was named SEC Coach of the Year last season. But the truth is, most of the games State won last year came as the result of big plays, late in the game. I was in attendance for five of those games. Can't always count on the big play, as this year proved.

The team has been plagued with discipline problems, with several of their key players having been dismissed for a firearm incident on campus last year, after the season. That incident happened just outside my son's dorm while he was there. That was just one of many incidents. Oddly, the Croom faithful spoke in glowing terms of him as the disciplinarian, although his overall record in that catagory didn't reflect those accolades.

He was 21-38 in five seasons.

Names being batted around by fans and alums to replace Croom are Tuberville, Fulmer, Bowden and the most interesting of the lot, Turner Gill. Greg Byrne, if the naming of the head baseball coach is any indication, will consider this as long as it takes to get the right guy.

Good luck to Mississippi State and to former head football coach Sylvester Croom.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3733168

Names being batted around by fans and alums to replace Croom are Tuberville, Fulmer, Bowden and the most interesting of the lot, Turner Gill...

Would certainly do a lot to nip the PC-police quasi-racist overtones in the bud. Plus, he's a good coach. Young and energetic, he's done a lot with a little at Buffalo.

Would certainly do a lot to nip the PC-police quasi-racist overtones in the bud. Plus, he's a good coach. Young and energetic, he's done a lot with a little at Buffalo.

Funny you should mention that. Just after I read your post, Verne Lundquist was interviewing a black guy. Not sure who it was as I was on the computer and not watching the game (Auburn/'bama). Verne was saying with the resignation of Croom, that left only two African American head coaches in D1 ball. He expressed his dismay there weren't more, and both made the case to replace Croom with an African American.

I'm a bit disappointed in Verne. Never had him pegged for a PC kind of guy. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with replacing Croom with an African American, if he's the best guy for the job. But putting an African American in that spot just because the last guy to coach there was one, especially if there are other, more qualified, affordable coaches could not be more wrong.

Whatever happened to hiring the right guy for the job, regardless of what color his skin is? Having said that, Turner Gill interests me. He definitely has the credentials.

Glad I'm not Greg Byrne.