...no Big XII championship game?

UnknownLegend

i've never liked the championship game

I wouldn't mind it so much if:

a) every conference was forced to have one... if it's not across the board it doesn't make sense.

b) the top two teams out of the entire conference faced off... watching a South team crush Mizzou or Colorado is getting tiresome.

I've said for years that conference championship games should be done away with in conferences like the Big XII and the SEC. I say expand the conference play to include teams from across the conferences, pitting conference teams against other teams within the conference they wouldn't normally play. At the end of the season, count up the wins and losses, and you have your conference champ.

Did everyone catch what just happened? I agreed with Mack. :thumbsup:

Bleeds... IDK about the SEC but the Big XII already does that.

Right. But I mean expand it even more so the whole schedule is more representative of the entire conference. Cut down on the number of non-conference games and replace them with conference games.

Right now, the schedule is 13 weeks long: Four non-conference games, eight conference games and the championship game. This could be changed so there were two nonconference games, and 11 conference games. That way, with 12 teams in each of those conference, every team could play each other.

Did I miss something? This seems too easy.

Right. But I mean expand it even more so the whole schedule is more representative of the entire conference. Cut down on the number of non-conference games and replace them with conference games.

Right now, the schedule is 13 weeks long: Four non-conference games, eight conference games and the championship game. This could be changed so there were two nonconference games, and 11 conference games. That way, with 12 teams in each of those conference, every team could play each other.

Did I miss something? This seems too easy.

...And get rid of the 2nd open week.

I have never liked the Division play. At the risk of being accused of being a whiney UT fan, your conference record has as much of who you play in the opposite division.

- Texas Tech played the #1, #2 & #3 teams in the north

- Texas played the #1, #3 & #4 teams of the north

- Oklahoma played the #2, #3 & #5 teams of the north

My point is it is not even. I do not like the Big 10 method as not all teams play each other. Either play 11 conference games or shrink the conference to 10 teams.

Everything definitely needs to be uniform. This is one of the main places where the NCAA drops the ball big-time. Either every conference have a championship game or don't have one.

I lean toward the no-championship game.

I love the no CCG idea, but the problem with implementing it in the Big 12 is there are too many teams. It works great in the Pac 10, where every team plays every other team in the conference. As such, a true conference champion can be determined. The Big 12 would need to get rid of 2 teams in the conference to make this work.

A perfect example is what happened in the Big 10 a few years ago between Ohio St. and Iowa. Because they have 11 teams in the Big 10, they do not play everybody during the season. Iowa and OSU never met , but had the same conference record and were therefore declared co-champions. With 12 conference teams, there would be 2 teams every year that you would not play. I don't see how the Big 12 could routinely avoid having these situations.

To me it would make more sense, as said before, to enforce a BCS wide championship game. And I also agree, for parity's sake, that the two teams that play be the best two teams in the conference. That means, the best North and South team unless the number 2 team from either division is higher ranked than the number 1 from the opposite division.

Though it seems to be a hindrance as of late, hasn't there been instances in the past where the championship game has helped Big 12 teams vault other teams in the rankings?

Get rid of Baylor and Iowa State.

or

Make every conference have a conference championship.

Never thought I would say this, but I totally agree with CNO.

Middle, I like what you're saying as well. Why the heck should a 3 loss Missouri team be playing for the Big 12 Conference championship over UT, OU, or TT. Ridiculous!

Former Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne warned EVERYONE about the danger of the Big XII Championship Game.

He said it would be very difficult for the most dominant team in the conference, North or South, to play "another" game the very next week, and especially following what are usually "rivalry" games, UT-A&M, OU-OSU, etc.

Based on the results from the very first game, he might've been right.

Since 1996, the Championship has derailed more national championship opportunities than otherwise. I can't think of one time when the Big XII Champion secured a national championship berth with a win.

Some, '97 Nebraska, '00 Oklahoma, and '05 Texas were already going to play for the national championship in some capacity, so winning that game didn't help them.

Here's a point that only each of you can answer.

If you didn't like the Big XII Championship Game last season, or 5-years ago, or even starting in '96, that's fine...but you can't change your mind each season depending on how it affects your favorite team.

The one argument for the championship game is when two teams from each division play for the title, that haven't already played...and I don't know how often that has happened.

Osborne said the game would hurt the Big XII more than help it (other than financially).

Think about it...

1996: UT stuns Nebraska, knocks Nebraska out of championship against Florida State.

1997: Nebraska whips A&M on their way to national championship win against Tennessee.

1998: Texas A&M stuns K-State, and knocks Wildcats out of the national championship game.

1999: Nebraska beat UT in San Antonio, on their way to 12-1, didn't affect national title picture (Florida State-Va. Tech)

2000: OU beat K-State in championship game, and I could be wrong, but Sooners had already beaten K-State earlier, but they won again and then the national title.

2001: Colorado beat Texas during the Chris Simms meltdown at Texas Stadium. The win almost vaulted CU (who had crushed NU the week before) into the national championship game, but it didn't. The loss by UT might've knocked them out of the title game...but not sure how that would've worked out. Somehow NU played Miami, which didn't make sense, and lost decisively. I believe UT had beaten Colorado earlier in the season, right?

2002: OU beat Colorado in the Big XII Championship Game, after already beating CU in the regular season.

2003: #1 OU lost to K-State in Big XII Championship Game, but had a large enough lead in the BCS Standings and still played LSU for the BCS title, but lost.

2004: #1 OU beat Colorado for Big XII Championship Game, and then were destroyed by USC 55-19 in championship game.

2005: Texas humiliates Colorado in Houston, and went on to win the national championship against "unbeatable" Southern Cal.

2006: OU beat Nebraska, and then lost in BCS to Boise State.

2007: OU beat Missouri in Championship Game, after already beating them in regular season.

2008: Missouri vs. Texas/OU/Tech?

Smoaky

To me it would make more sense, as said before, to enforce a BCS wide championship game. And I also agree, for parity's sake, that the two teams that play be the best two teams in the conference. That means, the best North and South team unless the number 2 team from either division is higher ranked than the number 1 from the opposite division.

Though it seems to be a hindrance as of late, hasn't there been instances in the past where the championship game has helped Big 12 teams vault other teams in the rankings?

Middle,

I could be wrong, but I can't remember when the winner of the Big XII Championship has ever used a victory to vault itself into the championship game.

Of the teams who have won national titles since '96 when the Big XII formed ('97-Nebraska, '00-OU, '05-Texas), all of them were most likely going to play for the national championship anyway. All were unbeaten entering the conference title game.

Meanwhile, as I listed in a previous post, there have been at least 2-3 times when the championship game derailed a chance to play for the national title.

Smoaky

Middle,

I could be wrong, but I can't remember when the winner of the Big XII Championship has ever used a victory to vault itself into the championship game.

Of the teams who have won national titles since '96 when the Big XII formed ('97-Nebraska, '00-OU, '05-Texas), all of them were most likely going to play for the national championship anyway. All were unbeaten entering the conference title game.

Meanwhile, as I listed in a previous post, there have been at least 2-3 times when the championship game derailed a chance to play for the national title.

Smoaky

Smoaky, your point is valid and is a well known fact. What I can't understand is why the Big 12 doesn't seem to recognize that knocking themselves out of the title game costs them more more than they make on the conference championship game, as well as national titles and prestige.

Smoaky, your point is valid and is a well known fact. What I can't understand is why the Big 12 doesn't seem to recognize that knocking themselves out of the title game costs them more more than they make on the conference championship game, as well as national titles and prestige.

What's that song, "Money, Money, Money, Money...MONEY"

There's your answer.

Period, end of discussion.

Smoaky

What's that song, "Money, Money, Money, Money...MONEY"

There's your answer.

Period, end of discussion.

Smoaky

Again, that is an obvious statement. Everyone already knows the Big 12 makes a lot of money on the CCG. My argument is that the Big 12 would make more money going to more MNC title games, and more prestige for the conference, which would also be financially beneficial.

Again, that is an obvious statement. Everyone already knows the Big 12 makes a lot of money on the CCG. My argument is that the Big 12 would make more money going to more MNC title games, and more prestige for the conference, which would also be financially beneficial.

I wasn't trying to be obvious, sorry about that.

You asked a question, I answered it...I get your point, but you're not paying attention either.

The Big XII Championship Game brings in a ton of money for every program too...and they'll take the risk that more often than not---the Big XII Champion will play for the national championship too, and usually send two teams to the BCS, so they're not losing anything in the long run.

Smoaky