Avinger Indians Upset Laneville

OneLittleIndianFan

The Avinger Indians upset Laneville in the Burger King Classic at UT Tyler 58-56. The Indians trailed at halftime 31-20 but came storming back to take the 2 point win. Laneville is the current 2008 Class A State Champion and was the Pre-Season #1 pick for Class A in the Texas Basketball Polls for this year after loosing very few players from last years team. The Indians lost 3 players that were Seniors last year that all recieved scholarships to play college basketball and contributed greatly to Avinger's success last year.

Congratulations to Coach Sissney and his Young Indian team on a Great Game and a Big Win!

Keep It Coming!

The Avinger Indians upset Laneville in the Burger King Classic at UT Tyler 58-56. The Indians trailed at halftime 31-20 but came storming back to take the 2 point win. Laneville is the current 2008 Class A State Champion and was the Pre-Season #1 pick for Class A in the Texas Basketball Polls for this year after loosing very few players from last years team. The Indians lost 3 players that were Seniors last year that all recieved scholarships to play college basketball and contributed greatly to Avinger's success last year.

Congratulations to Coach Sissney and his Young Indian team on a Great Game and a Big Win!

Keep It Coming!

Good Job Avinger! Where did these players get scholarships?

I went and watched this game and wow was i impressed with both schools. Laneville in my opinion would win 9 out of 10 times if they played. Avinger players were so well coached they didn't trash talk or get rattled when they were down by 17 in the 2nd quarter they just kept on playing basketball. One fan from the stands was yelling at the coach constantly and at the players and he was from Avinger but my hats off to the Avinger team!! And by the way Laneville will go along way they are GOOD!!! I think if they had Avingers discipline no one could beat them because they are impressive!!Great game!!

I know all 3 of the Seniors from last year are playing college basketball. I was not aware ETBU did not give scholarships. I just saw in the paper where one of the players signed to play with ETBU this coming basketball season. I might need to rephrase my first statement about Avinger players and scholarships. They do have 3 of their players from last year that are playing at the next level in college and that really speaks volumes for a little school the size of Avinger.

I went to the game also and boy did Avinger come back after being down so much in the 2nd quarter. I think Coach Sissney and the Avinger team are to be commended for their great comeback! I don't know what Coach Sissney told his players at halftime, but when they came out in the 3rd quarter they were a different team.

Congratulations Avinger on a big win for the tribe!

I was told Laneville just lost 1 player from their State Championship team last year.

WOW this is a Big Win for Avinger!

Way To Go Indians!

Actually Laneville lost 3 starters last year as seniors, Marcus Anderson who was Texas State 1A player of the year now at Panola College also Jeremy Taylor and Semaj Alexander. They start 1 senior this year,2 juniors,1 sophomore and 1 freshman. Avinger also beat Laneville 2 times last year so why is this such a big win. The big win for Laneville will be in Nacogdoches again. :thumbsup:

Avinger lost 3 very good players last year. 2 of them are playing college ball, (ETBU and Trinity Valley JC), and the other one will have a good shot to when he gets his academic stuff straightened out.

Although they lost 2 all staters and 1 all region kid, the younger kids that took a backseat to those kids last year are now a year older and are stepping up and filling bigger roles.

I saw both teams play last year and I was at the game last night. Both programs lost some quality players due to graduation, but both programs also had younger kids ready to step up and fill the roles of those who were leaving.

Avinger suffered some foul trouble in the first half and Laneville took full advantage of that to put Avinger down by 11 at half. Avinger cut the lead to single digits in the 3rd and then a barrage of 3 pointers from #15, #30, and #11 for Avinger put them ahead to win the game.

The Avinger kids did play hard and with class, and they should after spending 10 or 11 years in Coach Loyd's program. The atmosphere and program that he has created and maintained there over the past 3 decades is one of the most impressive in the state. It was awesome to see him recognized for his accomplishments and contributions to the game of basketball.

As for Laneville the real test will come when they meet up with Slocum in district. Slocum looked very impressive in the Burger King Classic with a win over 3a Brownsboro. They have shooters, drivers, post play, and are very well coached. To me, they are still the team to beat in the region.