first buck, first hunt

Stoney

last monday, got my first buck on my first hunt ever. i'm 25 and still new to the whole expeirence. my uncle went out with me.had small 8 point in feed pen and a old spike hanging around.about 7:30 saw a white neck with antlers in the trees russlin. came around back of feed pen at pretty good pace and could tell had thick horns. didnt think i could make shot. so i passed it up. uncle said he would circle back. sure enuff came around on my left within 35-40 yards of open space and shot in the white of neck with a .243. took off into woods, so we waited about 45 minutes to not scare him off. walk blood everywere but no deer. find a man finally with a jack russell terrier to track him down. after following blood and scent, finally found him about 100-150 yards to the right of feed pen. tracker shot him in the shoulder with a 7mm mag.didn't faze him a bit. shot him again in ribs and finally went down. that's how i wound up with my first buck. a 10 point, 21" spread, 133 b&c. :thumbsup:

last monday, got my first buck on my first hunt ever. i'm 25 and still new to the whole expeirence. my uncle went out with me.had small 8 point in feed pen and a old spike hanging around.about 7:30 saw a white neck with antlers in the trees russlin. came around back of feed pen at pretty good pace and could tell had thick horns. didnt think i could make shot. so i passed it up. uncle said he would circle back. sure enuff came around on my left within 35-40 yards of open space and shot in the white of neck with a .243. took off into woods, so we waited about 45 minutes to not scare him off. walk blood everywere but no deer. find a man finally with a jack russell terrier to track him down. after following blood and scent, finally found him about 100-150 yards to the right of feed pen. tracker shot him in the shoulder with a 7mm mag.didn't faze him a bit. shot him again in ribs and finally went down. that's how i wound up with my first buck. a 10 point, 21" spread, 133 b&c. :thumbsup:

where were you hunting. was it around shady grove. i live in down town shady grove my self

That's a great first experience and to boot an excellent first buck. I assume you're hooked. Believe me, I'm almost 55 and killed a 13 this year and the experience still is exciting as it was with the first buck I ever killed.

where were you hunting. was it around shady grove. i live in down town shady grove my self

shady grove: where there's more people in the cemetary than above ground. been living there since '04. before that the booming metropolis of harmony.

what a way to start tho. hit the blind twice with the rifle getting in position to shoot. it's got me hooked. i wish i had started sooner instead of later. had no idea what i was missing. you got a chance to take a kid hunting please do.

• 2 weeks later...

thats good stuff stoney! I have always been fascinated by deer hunting, but i have never had an opportunity to go. I have hunted all sorts of other animals and waterfowl, but never the illusive White Tail Buck. Its been a few years since i have hunted anything, i miss it. I really want to get into it when i move back to Texas after i get out of the Navy.

so lucky we have a place in lampasas, tx it is full of deer

so lucky we have a place in lampasas, tx it is full of deer

did y'all hear anything about diseased deer around y'alls lease? we had heard they had something that affected the liver. the bucks were still running together. if i ever win the lottery i want some land down there.

did y'all hear anything about diseased deer around y'alls lease? we had heard they had something that affected the liver. the bucks were still running together. if i ever win the lottery i want some land down there.

we have had a lease for 6 years and i've never heard about the disease it but the rut has been pretty bad not much activity with means the bucks are running together like you said.

Full is right! I have never seen so many dead deer along a highway as I do on Hwy 281 between Lampasas and Hamilton. Driving at night in that part of the country can be extremely dangerous with the number of deer that like to graze along and cross 281. A friend out of Evant had three accidents with deer in one year. He never saw them. The deer did not run out in front of him , rather ran into the side of his pickup.

thats right they are dead everywhere on the roads we have been lucky enough not to hit any of them we go to our lease about 10 times a year every year. i plan on going down their for new years i just got a new bow (im a big bow hunter)

Have you got any pictures to share yet?????

• 2 years later...

Congats 'stoney',way to get it done.