VOLLEYBALL STRUCTURED TO GROW

Guest bleeds

Volleyball in the USA remains second only to basketball in terms of team sport popularity, with an estimated 29 million people playing indoor or beach volleyball. In this ever more global economy, the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) continues as the largest international federation in the world,

with 217 national federations as members. The FIBV’s most recent estimate of 800 million participants reflects both the worldwide scholastic popularity of the sport and its lifetime nature.

Beach volleyball, an American phenomenon, is growing globally and is no longer dominated by USA players. Brazil and several European countries have winning teams battling on international television in the two year international qualification process towards Sydney 2000.

The coed option of volleyball, one of the sport’s strengths, consistently remains indoors, with a 50-50 balance between males and females. However, a study by American Sports Data, Inc. found that females account for only 37% (based on participation of 25 days or more) of beach volleyball players.

USA Volleyball now offers national championships in the 12 years of age and under division and the 70 years of age and over division. It also hosted a record number of teams in both its National Championships for Adults (400 teams) and for Juniors (over 700 teams). Additionally, the Volleyball Festival, held at the same time in late June as the USA Nationals, remains the world’s largest women’s sporting event, with some 900 teams and 11,000 females playing.

The game’s court space ratio (12 players on a 900 square foot court) means the sport is part of every new gym and dedicated court facility. Meanwhile, new beach/sand courts continue to sprout up at parks, apartment complexes, schools, as well as sports and restaurant/bar complexes nationwide.

Those companies seeking a well established women’s market (at the 25 years of age and under level) continue to have a great option in volleyball, where the elite level shows a 10:1 ratio in favor of women. More than 371,000 high school girls play interscholastic volleyball, the most popular team sport after basketball. Boys high school play continues to grow as well, with over 32,000 participants last year. A similar ratio exists at the USA Volleyball Junior Olympic (age 18 years of age and under) programming level, growing yet again to nearly 80,000 Junior Olympic volleyball female athletes and over 5,000 male athletes.

At the intercollegiate level the sport shows the same ratio, with the women’s intercollegiate game again second only to basketball in team sports participation. The recent 1998 Women’s Final Four, televised on ESPN, set another record crowd at the final match, with nearly 15,000 spectators. The National Intramural Recreation and Sports Association (NIRSA) is now in the second decade of hosting a National Club Championship. These championships continue to grow and have set another record participation level.

In 1999, the USA men’s and women’s national teams, televised by ESPN International, will compete in both the Pan American Games in Canada, and, additionally, for the men, in the America’s Cup. The competition will be fierce, with 217 national federations competing for 12 berths in indoor volleyball and 24 berths in beach volleyball for the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia. The USA men finished ninth in the World Championships, while the women tied for 13th. USA beach teams are consistently in the medal competition at any international events in which they compete.

Change in the scoring of the indoor game, with every serve now being a point, was adopted internationally on January 1, 1999. This will result in events that are shorter and more predictable in length, helping both television and grass roots programming to stay within a time frame. The future looks bright for volleyball!

This is the fifteenth in a series of excerpts from SGMA’s 1999 State of the Industry Report, which was released on February 11 during The Super Show¨ in Atlanta, Georgia.

The Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), the trade association of North American manufacturers, producers, and distributors of sports apparel, athletic footwear, and sporting goods equipment, is dedicated to increasing participation in sports and fostering industry growth and vitality.

In the USA alone, there were more than 172,000 volleyball-related injuries that were treated in hospitals, doctors’ offices, clinics, ambulatory surgery centers and hospital emergency rooms according to the U.S. Consumer Safety Product Commission.

The United States men’s junior national volleyball team is one of 5 teams that will vie for the NORCECA Junior Men’s Volleyball Championship that will be held in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, from August. 3-8.

http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/v...-popularity.htm

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the holes for the net poles. How unsightly. :freak:

NUFF ALREADY!!!! Can this be discussed without any reference to Winnsboro. I know that some of you would like nothing more than to see me banned or off this site completely. I have got news for you. IT AINT HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!

NUFF ALREADY!!!! Can this be discussed without any reference to Winnsboro. I know that some of you would like nothing more than to see me banned or off this site completely. I have got news for you. IT AINT HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!

She takes the bate!!! Unbelievable!!! Bleeds, top water or spinners? It's BRF by a nose...

629p_4c_ZoomB.jpg

BTW... Who, besides you, made a reference to Winnsboro?

^

Victim card.

Does Winnsboro not have a volleyball program?

Really!! I am not as dumb as you think. This thread was started to inflame. You are very lucky that I did not report it.

It is better to be thought a fool: than to open your mouth and remove any doubt.

BRF, you have taken a thread about a sport you don't even like and succinctly made it about you. Not only, you have thrown the victim card in doing so.

If you don't like V'ball, why are you even in this thread anyway?

Quit making my thread about how popular V'ball is all about you.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT WINNSBORO OR THEIR CONSPICUOUSLY ABSENT VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM!

BRF, you have taken a thread about a sport you don't even like and succinctly made it about you. Not only, you have thrown the victim card in doing so.

If you don't like V'ball, why are you even in this thread anyway?

Quit making my thread about how popular V'ball is all about you.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT WINNSBORO OR THEIR CONSPICUOUSLY ABSENT VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM!

Bleeds

Last time I looked it iis not even volleyball season. There is a section where volleyball can be discussed. You and I have had several run ins when you were a mod. IT IS NOT ABOUT ME BUT THE SCHOOL THAT I love. You would not know anything about that. Once a Winnsboro Red Raider always a WRR.

You would like nothing more than to see me off this board. Victim card or not it is uncalled for.

Put this thread where it belongs.

Bleeds

Last time I looked it iis not even volleyball season. There is a section where volleyball can be discussed. You and I have had several run ins when you were a mod. IT IS NOT ABOUT ME BUT THE SCHOOL THAT I love. You would not know anything about that. Once a Winnsboro Red Raider always a WRR.

You would like nothing more than to see me off this board. Victim card or not it is uncalled for.

Put this thread where it belongs.

It is you who have made this about you. If you do not wish to be a part of it, politely excuse yourself and move on. Regardless of which topic this is posted in, you are going to hunt it down in an effort to further nail down your presence therein.

No one is twisting your arm to post here.

All the old ladies at church love this game. lol

Just joking, it's fun to play, but not much fun to watch.

A volleyball match between two good teams is way more exciting to watch than a girls basketball game and im a big basketball fan. My niece played basketball for Winnsboro and my parents made all of her games ( two dedicated basketball fans). When she graduated and my daughter started playing volleyball in high school they told me that they would of never of believed how exciting volleyball was and now they love it. P.S. It helps to be on a good team though because it can get old if the teams arent very good. Ill take a powerfull kill over a three point basket any day.

To mods/admins. I inadvertanly posted this in HS Sports instead of a V'ball subcatagory. Please, if you feel the need, move it to the appropriate venue so we can carry on a civil conversation about the sport.

Thanks, and have a nice day. :thumbsup:

A volleyball match between two good teams is way more exciting to watch than a girls basketball game and im a big basketball fan. My niece played basketball for Winnsboro and my parents made all of her games ( two dedicated basketball fans). When she graduated and my daughter started playing volleyball in high school they told me that they would of never of believed how exciting volleyball was and now they love it. P.S. It helps to be on a good team though because it can get old if the teams arent very good. Ill take a powerfull kill over a three point basket any day.

That's the great thing about living in America, we can have our opinions. I'll take the three point play and great ball-handling SKILLS any day. Let me also say that basketball is not really fun to watch when the players aren't real skilled. lol

That's the great thing about living in America, we can have our opinions. I'll take the three point play and great ball-handling SKILLS any day. Let me also say that basketball is not really fun to watch when the players aren't real skilled. lol

My daughter plays both sports and I enjoy both of them, but lets put it this way. In volleyball I find myself thinking "when is this going to be over", and in basketball I think "it is over already?". Give me basketball anyday.

All the old ladies at church love this game. lol

Just joking, it's fun to play, but not much fun to watch.

If you get two good teams going at it and not just volleying it back and forth. A kill here and a dig there. Volleyball can be exciting. When they went to rally scoring the game got faster. I have to say that I love to watch a good volleyball match as well a good basketball game. Basketball can get rather boring if you don't have well matched teams. At least volleyball is over when someone gets to 25. :)

wow, I am surprised I thought all schools played volleyball. Does anyone know why they dont play? Is it lack of interest or no support from the school and community?

BigRedFan used line item veto!